We Have To Defend Against Their RBs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I don't see Belichick outsmarting himself and not running the ball as much as he can. Tennessee showed the entire league that if you want to beat the Broncos, just run the ball. It's the Broncos job to try and turn the Pats into a passing only team, make them 'one dimensional.' I don't see Belichick being stupid and doing that unless for whatever reason Corey and Zaire learn to completely stuff the run, which isn't looking likely.
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Brady going deep is not a bad situation, because that's where he's least accurate. He's notoriously poor throwing deep. And yes Pats fans I know he completes them every now and then so we don't need your highlights, but over his career (with the exception of when Moss was there) Brady has struggled completing the long ball. His career Super Bowl numbers are something like 4 for 24 on passes over 20 yards. That's why the team is built around slot guys who can gain YAC and TEs who can run seam routes as well as be big targets at 10-15 yards. That's his wheelhouse.

Just like last week where the Pats wanted to run on the number 1 run defense, I think there's a chance they try to show how smart they are and pass on the number 1 pass defense. Not the best plan but it wouldn't shock me to see them come out and throw 50 times, trying to prove things.

If they truly are smart they'll run the ball 40 times and just pound the Broncos defense down. If they do that, it's tough to see them losing. If they start throwing all over the place Denver's odds get better.
    False.. According to Pro Football Focus.. out of all the years of dating back to 2006, his overall grade is a 95.6.. tops of his career, even over his 90 grade of 2007.. Additionally to your statement.. Brady is the best on deep balls this season with a passer rating of 122 on throws 20 plus yards, especially to Chris Hogan who is 7th in the league with deep ball receptions.. please note thats an even higher mark than his 100.7 rating of deep balls down field in 2007. Against the blitz, Brady has a passer rating of 134 (tops in the league) and completing 68.5 percent of his passes as well against the blitz (also tops in the league). Under pressure he has a 90 passer rating (tops in the league) and a 125 passer rating on playaction (also tops in the league).. I got one more.. he is 133 in passer rating on 3rd down, which also leads the NFL from a QB... blows Derek Carr and Aaron Rodgers out of the water.. according to PFF and exceeds Matt Ryan and Drew Brees in overall scale grading and metrics combined.

Comment

Originally posted by Field View Post
      False.. According to Pro Football Focus.. out of all the years of dating back to 2006, his overall grade is a 95.6.. tops of his career, even over his 90 grade of 2007.. Additionally to your statement.. Brady is the best on deep balls this season with a passer rating of 122 on throws 20 plus yards, especially to Chris Hogan who is 7th in the league with deep ball receptions.. please note thats an even higher mark than his 100.7 rating of deep balls down field in 2007. Against the blitz, Brady has a passer rating of 134 (tops in the league) and completing 68.5 percent of his passes as well against the blitz (also tops in the league). Under pressure he has a 90 passer rating (tops in the league) and a 125 passer rating on playaction (also tops in the league).. I got one more.. he is 133 in passer rating on 3rd down, which also leads the NFL from a QB... blows Derek Carr and Aaron Rodgers out of the water.. according to PFF and exceeds Matt Ryan and Drew Brees in overall scale grading and metrics combined.
      So I'm confused. You think the Patriots should throw against the #1 secondary in the league? And that's smart when there is a run defense to exploit? Did you not see last year's 2 games where pass after the Pats were shut down?
      Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

It's typical Brady homerism. Just tell them Brady's golf game is bad and they'll tell you why that's not true and how he is five iron game will beat us on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Field View Post
          Yes, overall his deep numbers are better this year, however this season is the outlier he's been a poor deep throw passer his entire career, and even though he's had a "resurgence" this season, looking at all of the numbers shows that this is way above average and is likely not to be sustainable. Then you go against the number 1 pass defense in the league, with a bad run defense. If Brady and the Patriots feel they need to win by going deep tomorrow, that's a big win for the Broncos. Especially in cold conditions.

Also quantify your numbers a little bit, how many deep passes has Brady attempted this year in comparison to the 2nd and 3rd highest rated QBs? He's played 4 less games, which gives him less opportunity a chance to have a higher passer rating in such category, especially since the Patriots aren't known to throw it down field a lot each game.

As for his under pressure numbers, I guess we'll see how that looks tomorrow. He faced pressure a few times on Monday and on one he just threw it away looking to avoid getting hit, of course he got a penalty for it. The second time he just threw it away looking to avoid getting hit and was picked off in the end zone. Get pressure on Brady and he gets rattled, it's always been that way. If you allow him time he'll complete the 5 yard choice routes and 15 yard seam routes all day.

Comment

Lets see how we did:

Lewis - 18 carries for 95 yards plus 2 receptions for 9 yards
            Blount - 17 carries for 31 yards and 1 TD
            White - 3 carries for 11 yards plus 3 receptions for 24 yards

I did not feel like The Pats' backs were killing us, but in the end they did run for 137 yards and 1 TD, along with just 33 reception yards. The rushing average was only 3.5 (counting Brady's -1), which is quite good from a D perspective. On the other hand, the yards per game would have ranked us in the bottom 3 in the league, on an average week. Lets just say one thing about Belichick and company....even though we stopped Blount, Lewis almost reached the 100 yard mark.

So......near the bottom in run D, per game, but when you look at the passing results and the sub par average rushing yardage, we really took care of Brady, with just 16 of 32 for 188 yards, and no TDs.

Therefore I give our D another high rating! They limited Blount, and though they gave Lewis some room, when you combine with the pass game, not much more could be asked for. Other than an O that can score more.
            Last edited by CanDB; 12-19-2016, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              Lets see how we did:

Lewis - 18 carries for 95 yards plus 2 receptions for 9 yards
              Blount - 17 carries for 31 yards and 1 TD
              White - 3 carries for 11 yards plus 3 receptions for 24 yards

I did not feel like The Pats' backs were killing us, but in the end they did run for 137 yards and 1 TD, along with just 33 reception yards. The rushing average was only 3.5 (counting Brady's -1), which is quite good from a D perspective. On the other hand, the yards per game would have ranked us in the bottom 3 in the league, on an average week. Lets just say one thing about Belichick and company....even though we stopped Blount, Lewis almost reached the 100 yard mark.

So......near the bottom in run D, per game, but when you look at the passing results and the sub par average rushing yardage, we really took care of Brady, with just 16 of 32 for 188 yards, and no TDs.

Therefore I give our D another high rating! They limited Blount, and though they gave Lewis some room, when you combine with the pass game, not much more could be asked for. Other than an O that can score more.
              I would say that it was not their running game that beat us, it was TOs ... they scored 10 points off of drives that started due to a TO. Anytime a team only gives up 13 or 16 points in a game they should win that game; the offense has a long way to go.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                I would say that it was not their running game that beat us, it was TOs ... they scored 10 points off of drives that started due to a TO. Anytime a team only gives up 13 or 16 points in a game they should win that game; the offense has a long way to go.
                No doubt. I was simply reflecting on the topic I put out there. We certainly contained Blount, which was impressive. Lewis was pretty good, and that does give some credence to the multi approach that The Pats can show you.

But overall, had we a better O, that game was easily ours. Our D did their jobs!

Comment

No doubt. I was simply reflecting on the topic I put out there. We certainly contained Blount, which was impressive. Lewis was pretty good, and that does give some credence to the multi approach that The Pats can show you.

But overall, had we a better O, that game was easily ours. Our D did their jobs!
                  Both D did the job, the difference was the TO, especially the INT that was at least a 10 point swing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Benoit View Post
                    Both D did the job, the difference was the TO, especially the INT that was at least a 10 point swing.
                    Agreed (again), that pic was a killer. Then again, I still think you have a lot of football to play, and that though the interception was bad news, we could have won otherwise. Just not enough O. And not quite sure why Norwood is still returning punts???

Comment

Agreed (again), that pic was a killer. Then again, I still think you have a lot of football to play, and that though the interception was bad news, we could have won otherwise. Just not enough O. And not quite sure why Norwood is still returning punts???
                      I don't think anyone understands that
                      "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Working...
                      X