X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver has 3 of the worst offensive linemen in NFL

http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2016...lo-stephenson/

When is right oh, so wrong?

]Well, when you’re the 2016 Denver Broncos, apparently.

Tackle is one of the most important positions on offense due to the amazing athletic abilities of edge-rushers in today’s NFL. Case and point: Sunday Night Football, Broncos versus the Kansas City Chiefs.

Justin Houston had a heyday against Ty Sambrailo and Donald Stephenson, Denver’s two best right tackles, with three sacks including a forced fumble. In total, the Chiefs enjoyed six sacks as Broncos quarterback Trevor Siemian had to run for his life while also enjoying his career-best game. Siemian threw for career-highs in yards (368) and yards per attempt (10.82); imagine how well he could’ve played with ample blocking.

Instead, that’s not how the game — nor the season, to this point — have gone for Siemian nor the offense.

Starting right tackle Ty Sambrailo struggled mightily, allowing two sacks and a hurry while also being called for a holding penalty in a mere 20 snaps.

On Denver’s second drive of the game, Houston threw Sambrailo’s hands away and dove for the sack, forcing a punt. Two drives later, with the offense finally moving the ball, Sambrailo committed that hold, putting Denver in a first-and-20 situation. Then, on third-and-16 from mid-field, Houston ran around the tackle for his second sack and another forced punt. That marked the end of Sambrailo’s night.

On the season, Sambrailo is rated as the 78th worst tackle by Pro Football Focus, earning an overall grade of 32.7 out of 100. Ironically, Siemian was sacked on the next play and fumbled when the Chiefs’ rush confused left tackle Russell Okung. While the man lined up outside stunted around and inside, Houston simply bull-rushed through Okung’s left shoulder for the sack. So, it wasn’t just the right tackles who struggled on Sunday night.

Onto the third quarter: On his spectacular roll-out, roll-back and throw for a touchdown in the third quarter, Siemian had to avoid Justin Houston who blew past Stephenson. And even when he wasn’t sacked, Siemian had to endure many more desperation roll-outs to either gain a few yards or throw the ball away.

On the year, Stephenson has graded lower than Sambrailo, at 29.0 by PFF. The rankings can be seen here (subscription required).

Week 12 tackle rankings by Pro Football Focus.
    (Courtesy: ProFootballFocus.com)

Without a doubt, the Denver Broncos’ offensive line is the root of their problems on the offensive side of the ball. They can’t throw the ball efficiently due to a lack of time for Siemian to progress through reads. And Denver’s running attack is lacking as well due to the inefficiencies in winning the line of scrimmage.

Interestingly, though, center Matt Paradis (83.7, highest rated Broncos player) and left guard Max Garcia (69.7) were two of the five highest-rated players in orange and blue on Sunday night. So, it’s not simply the offensive line as a whole, but more specifically, a deficiency at right tackle.

John Elway and Co. must look to address that spot in the draft and free agency. For now, Denver has to find ways to win some, if not all, of the last five games to make the playoffs.
    I Heard on the radio this morning that the Broncos offensive line have allowed 58 quarterback hits on Trevor Siemian and Paxton lynch within the last six games.

That is far too many hints for only six games. Are these guys regressing they must be because I sure as heck arent getting any better.

I also heard that Luis Vasquez is telling people that he had stayed in shape and is waiting for John Elway to call him.

Ive also heard Tyler Polumbus on the radio a few days ago say the reason he retired was because he felt that he should be starting over Michael Scofield however Schofield was inserted into the starting lineup instead of him.

He also says that in practice everyone could see that he was far more superior than Michael Scofield but for some reason Schofield was given the starting nod.

Seems like Denver never recovered from McDaniels' switch from zone to a power scheme. Manning's fast release sure did mask a lot of problems up front for a couple of years, but not even his wit could save him from this horrendous line. I wonder how much of an upgrade Vasquez would be over Stephenson.

Comment

Originally posted by Bterres105 View Post
      Seems like Denver never recovered from McDaniels' switch from zone to a power scheme. Manning's fast release sure did mask a lot of problems up front for a couple of years, but not even his wit could save him from this horrendous line. I wonder how much of an upgrade Vasquez would be over Stephenson.
      I'm not sure but he would provide a lot better depth in my opinion.

Comment

Adam Gase did a lot with very little, the horrific play calling exposes our weaknesses exponentially.

Our O-line is atrocious, has been for quite some time, it will get fixed this year. What'll the excuse be after that? Booker sure has been a disappointment...
        [sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure this covers anything new, we've all been aware of the issues. But once again I question the accuracy of PFF, how can you accurately grade a lineman without knowing the play, protection and game specific adjustments made?

Comment

Yes, nothing groundbreaking here, the line is bad, it's been said a million times.

As for Polumbus and Vasquez, both are at the end of their careers, if they won't be a massive upgrade are they just better off keeping the young players in and letting them get more experience?

One thing to remember, Garcia and Sambrailo are only in their 2nd year, while Paradis and Scofield are in their 3rd. These are still young players, they could still improve next year, especially with all the experience they've gotten this year.

Comment

You guys can say it's old news all you want but I think your missing the bigger picture and what I mean by that is Trevor Siemian and Paxton lynch have been hit 58 times in the last six games.

So another words this line isn't getting any better, they're not progressing. Now I understand many of you keep saying that these are young guys in their second and third years but they are regressing not progressing.

Trevor Siemian seems to be the only one on this offense that is progressing I mean in the last two games he put up 300 yards plus. Now I understand these guys are young but something needs to be done now to help them improve because they're not improving they are going the opposite direction they're going backwards in their skill.

Now I am not placing all the blame on them, I do understand that and that Andy Janovich is out and evidently Juwan Thompson is just that bad where he cannot fill in for that fullback role but more than that it is bad offensive technique being coached to these players.

I mean how could we all forget that the Broncos couldn't even pick up a first down on third and one because Michael Scofield is blared into by a linebacker due to Bad technique.

more of the play needs to go towards Clancy Barone and Rick Denison, one of them has to go if not both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                You guys can say it's old news all you want but I think your missing the bigger picture and what I mean by that is Trevor Siemian and Paxton lynch have been hit 58 times in the last six games.

So another words this line isn't getting any better, they're not progressing. Now I understand many of you keep saying that these are young guys in their second and third years but they are regressing not progressing.

Trevor Siemian seems to be the only one on this offense that is progressing I mean in the last two games he put up 300 yards plus. Now I understand these guys are young but something needs to be done now to help them improve because they're not improving they are going the opposite direction they're going backwards in their skill.

Now I am not placing all the blame on them, I do understand that and that Andy Janovich is out and evidently Juwan Thompson is just that bad where he cannot fill in for that fullback role but more than that it is bad offensive technique being coached to these players.

I mean how could we all forget that the Broncos couldn't even pick up a first down on third and one because Michael Scofield is blared into by a linebacker due to Bad technique.

more of the play needs to go towards Clancy Barone and Rick Denison, one of them has to go if not both of them.
                The offensive line did a much better job of protecting Siemian in the second half last week, so that's a glimmer of hope.

They can worry about new players and coaches in the offseason, right now I just hope that the coaches we currently have can get improvement out of the players we currently have.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                  Yes, nothing groundbreaking here, the line is bad, it's been said a million times.

As for Polumbus and Vasquez, both are at the end of their careers, if they won't be a massive upgrade are they just better off keeping the young players in and letting them get more experience?

One thing to remember, Garcia and Sambrailo are only in their 2nd year, while Paradis and Scofield are in their 3rd. These are still young players, they could still improve next year, especially with all the experience they've gotten this year.
                  The problem is, our window is closing. How long can we maintain an elite D? If our offense were even mediocre we'd still be legit contenders. As it is, we're not. I don't want to wait and see if Garcia and Sambrailo pan out. Okung? Hell no to paying that guy huge money for several years. And forget Stephenson. He's a backup at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                    The offensive line did a much better job of protecting Siemian in the second half last week, so that's a glimmer of hope.

They can worry about new players and coaches in the offseason, right now I just hope that the coaches we currently have can get improvement out of the players we currently have.
                    This is true, the last quarter and one half of play by the Broncos was great, I really enjoyed watching that.

However it was almost like the effort was too little too late but the blame there could go to Kubiak and his bad habit of keeping the handcuffs on far two long.

Comment

We need an all new o-line cause this one is hot garbage and young players or not, they stink and have not gotten 'significantly' better from years 1 to 2 to 3. And the two vets (Okung & Stephenson) have been nothing worth writing home about either.

Also Clancy Barone needs to be fired as o-line coach and/or demoted to another position coach. And if Alex Gibbs isn't brought back as full-time o-line coach then maybe Rick Dennison needs to go to being o-line coach since he learned under Gibbs.

I have no idea who the OC should be in this case but it should be someone from the Shanahan/Kubiak tree, whether currently in-house or otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mel B. View Post
                        We need an all new o-line cause this one is hot garbage and young players or not, they stink and have not gotten 'significantly' better from years 1 to 2 to 3. And the two vets (Okung & Stephenson) have been nothing worth writing home about either.

Also Clancy Barone needs to be fired as o-line coach and/or demoted to another position coach. And if Alex Gibbs isn't brought back as full-time o-line coach then maybe Rick Dennison needs to go to being o-line coach since he learned under Gibbs.

I have no idea who the OC should be in this case but it should be someone from the Shanahan/Kubiak tree, whether currently in-house or otherwise.
                        Besides Sam Parnell and Butler's posts, this has to be the most insightful thing I've read on here in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Mel B. View Post

I would not mind Bobby Turner coming in to be the offensive Cordinator being here as long as we get Dave Magazu to come back and coach the offensive line.
                          I'm not so sure about Gibbs at this point due to his age.

But anyway I heard Rick Denison is having some personal issues with his family so I wish him the best and as far as I know it's going to be great nap handling the offensive Cordinator duties this week.

Perhaps there could be something there, maybe he could turn out to be a pretty good fill-in and maybe he could be considered acandidate for the offensive coordinators position in the not-too-distant future.

Comment

On the season, Sambrailo is rated as the 78th worst tackle by Pro Football Focus, earning an overall grade of 32.7 out of 100.
                            You know it's bad when you're rated #78 out of 64 starting tackles.

Comment

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
                              Adam Gase did a lot with very little, the horrific play calling exposes our weaknesses exponentially.

Our O-line is atrocious, has been for quite some time, it will get fixed this year. What'll the excuse be after that? Booker sure has been a disappointment...
                              Yeah, I said that it will take a couple of years before the rookie RB will be able to be effective, but many said "the running back position is the easiest to pick up of all positions on the team". In spite of all the evidence, people expected a lot from the rookie. Yeah, you can point out a few rare instances but there are always data points way outside the bell curve.
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

Working...
                              X