• Show
Clear All

• HUMCALC
    replied
    I believe the OL handicapped everything else

Leave a comment:

• haciendadad
    replied
    I believe that the offense got so predictable that teams had the blueprint to beat us by mid season, stop our run game and force us to throw and with our WRs dropping most their catches in the first half, that blueprint worked. The offensive coaches could have done more to get the ball to the RBs in space like Atlanta, Pittsburgh and many other teams do. We lacked a TE strategy, all this hurt the running game. I blame the coaching.

Leave a comment:

• HUMCALC
    replied
    Those teams have experience at key positions

Leave a comment:

• oklahomabronco
    replied
    Our lack of run game stymies our entire offense

But it doesnt stymie every team. Some teams do not need an very effective run game to make the offense work. They adjust to a short passing game. Some teams can be 20th to 25th in the NFL in rushing yet score enough to be a top 10 offense points wise.
    Us, not so much.
    When we can't run the ball our offense is awful, totally stymied.

I realize before we can run it, we'll have to block someone.

Our 3rd phase isn't effective either. A dangerous punt return or KO returner would be a weapon we could really use.

Maybe we can draft Christian McCaffrey and our third phase is suddenly a threat. Of cites then we need plenty of OTs, OGs and DTs and DEs.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Good question but I honestly believe Kubiak just doesn't have confidence in this Offense.

I believe that it is due to Clancy Barones lack of coaching and Rick Dennison scheme but perhaps more on Barone.

I wouldn't mind Kyle Shanahan but please not mike Shanahan.

No more scapegoating the Defensive coordinators, no more extremely bad draft choices and most of all no more dictating the defensive game plan. He would ruin and dismantle our great defense.
    Shore up the line, get CJ and Janovich back healthy, Derby/Heuerman going and we can be back in contention next season. Need help at NT and DE.

As some have suggested get the OC(?) calling the plays.

Simple, right

Leave a comment:

• ND Broncos girl
    replied
    Originally posted by Peerless View Post
    Been a member here for a long time, got busy with life and couldn't post or contribute as much as I have in the past. Outside of a post here and there, I have become an official "lurker", often reading through some great threads, posts, and ideas. But I decided to have my little rant/idea time tonight.

The Super Bowl Denver Broncos of last year were an entertaining team to watch. Peyton Manning going out for one last stand, managing an offense while the Denver historic team defense made play, after play, after play. It all came together in the final weeks, and we geared up for a great playoff run and became Super Bowl champs.

But then, like many teams in franchise sports - sometimes it's hard to keep that train going.

I knew this team was going to struggle the day once free agency started. We all knew we couldn't keep them all, the price for winning a Super Bowl is having to make the hard decisions.

Goodbye Malik Jackson - Some people weren't very happy when he "took the money" over the team. But can you BLAME him? He was a defensive FORCE for excellent penetration up the middle, while also being a stout run defender for our historic defense. We couldn't afford him... yet people thought we could?

Goodbye Danny Trevathan - One of my favorite players when he became a Bronco. "Too little to be a starting MLB". He proved all of the doubters wrong, and was our best coverage linebacker (Does anyone remeber the Atlanta game this season?) with sideline to sideline speed - making all of the calls for our defense. His price may have been a little high, but we didn't even TRY to keep him.

Goodbye David Bruton. Special teams ace, and captain. He wanted to be a starter, but there wasn't a place for him in the secondary. Hard seeing him go, especially after watching some of our special teams blunders this season....

The CJ Anderson blunder. John Elway and the FO overreacted a bit when they saw all these great players departing from the team. He then gave CJ the lowest possible tender which gave them the right to match any contract offer but receive no compensation if Anderson joined another team. Anderson, of course, signed with Miami and the Broncos matched the offer but rather than paying $2.5 he's making $6 million. Love his heart, but he's not worth the money. Injuries, inconsistencies, weigh issues at times - he is not worth what we payed for him.

Then we signed Mark Sanchez. Sanchez? Why are talking about THAT guy? He's not even ON the current team!? Yes, very true. But for some odd reason, to me that became the black cloud - Mr .Butt fumble was going to be the starting quarterback of the Denver Broncos. Yuck. Thankfully, he got cut / and or beat out by Trevor Siemian.

Now Trevor Siemian had a good story to start the season. 7th round draft pick, basically a rookie - beating out Mr. Butt fumble to be the starter for this team. Throws a nice spiral, has some pocket mobility - but there was a reason he was a seventh round pick - and another reason why we drafted a quarterback in the first round. Trevor Siemian is a stop gap - a slightly worse Kyle Orton. We are getting a bargain for him (compared to Brock and what the Texans are shelling out). What you see, is what you get. Few good plays here, stupid pass there.

The Offensive Line - A MAJOR reason why the offense is so awful. They aren't helping anyone..... literally. The lack of talent we have at QB and RB, there was NO way this offense was going to take off. First of all - Donald Stevenson was a pure miss in free agency. He was inconsistent with KC. My good roommate (a huge KC fan) from college called him a serviceable player when we wants to be. We thought he'd make more of an impact for the Broncos (he had to be an upgrade over Michael Schofield of 2015 right? Right?? Sigh... He's only rated as one of the worst tackles in the league (per PFF).

Michael Schofield - I'm glad he's playing guard - because he was not a good tackle in 2015. But news flash, he's not a good starting RG either. I was shocked to see that we kept him on the team, let alone gave him a starting position. He's been... well he's played like Michael Schofield.

Matt Paradis - The ONLY good thing about the offensive line. Seriously. He continues to grade out on PFF as a top center in the league. Keep it rollin' with Paradis.

Max Garcia - Young player who can maul in the run game - when he's not sloppy. He's not great at pass protection. I thought he would have grown more as a player, but he's very inconsistent.

Russel Okung - A great pass blocker in Seattle, he's been bad as a Bronco. I'm glad he signed the contract he did - because there is NO WAY he's worth 48million over the next four years. I guess he's an upgrade over Ryan Clady (who is again injured making big money), but to be honest with you nobody is impressed with him at all.

If the line can't pass block or run block... the offense will stall - like they have week after week after week. The defense can only do so much.

The draft was sort of 'meh' from my standpoint. Paxton Lynch looks like a cool quarterback, but he's way too raw. Can you say Tim Tebow? Adam Gotsis is just as raw from a D-line standpoint. He's years away from walking in the shadow of a player like Malik Jackson was to this 2015 team. Justin Simmons is intriguing. Athletic and fast. I see him making an impact in the secondary in the future. Devonte Booker - nice player, but nothing special. He's cheap and can do a few nice things... Hopefully he'll grow some more by next season. Andy Janovich? Yeah he run blocks better than most of our O-line. But he's got to stay healthy..... Riley Dixon? Cheaper than Britton, still needs some time.

In the end, this team was going to have a tough time from week 1. Let's hope Elway can look at himself - and Kubiak - swallow some pride, and re-make this proud franchise.

Sorry for the long read. Some will agree, others will disagree. Hopefully it opens up some conversation. I love the Denver Broncos - but when they lose (again like today) I can't get bent out of shape or angry. There's more to life then watching athletes make millions of dollars play poorly, and for me to good to bed upset before the work week starts. Sure, I'd LOVE to see them win, go back to the playoffs hot and win the Super Bowl. But it ain't happening.

:thumb:
    Nicely put we need a rb who can change direction side to side if the hole isn't there need a smart one!

Leave a comment:

• Sam_Z
    replied
    Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    With Kubiak's health concerns do you think he would step back in another role with the organization? If that happened would Shanahan considered Denver, or were bridges burned with letting his dad go?
    Good question but I honestly believe Kubiak just doesn't have confidence in this Offense.

I believe that it is due to Clancy Barones lack of coaching and Rick Dennison scheme but perhaps more on Barone.

I wouldn't mind Kyle Shanahan but please not mike Shanahan.

No more scapegoating the Defensive coordinators, no more extremely bad draft choices and most of all no more dictating the defensive game plan. He would ruin and dismantle our great defense.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    Originally posted by darryn16 View Post
    This. Kubiak has shown that his niche lies in being the OC not the HC. People on these boards will argue that he doesn't have the same talent that he had in Balt, but with his unimaginative play calling its painfully obvious that he needs to be a coordinator and not the HC.
    If his play calling was just unimaginative for no reason, wouldn't that be the case whether he's OC or HC?

Perhaps he needs to take some things off of his plate, but the point you're making here just doesn't make sense to me. The vanilla playcalling is a result of the players and their inability to execute. It's tough to call a reverse when you can't execute the play you need to set it up with. The defense needs a reason to bite.

Leave a comment:

• darryn16
    replied
    Originally posted by SammyWinder View Post
    Dennison might not be the problem, he was gone more of the week with family issues.. This is more Kubiak then anything, but Dennision does need to be shown the door... Kubiak for that matter too, but that will take more time, since for some reason people credit him with our Superbowl win and not Wade Phillips...
    This. Kubiak has shown that his niche lies in being the OC not the HC. People on these boards will argue that he doesn't have the same talent that he had in Balt, but with his unimaginative play calling its painfully obvious that he needs to be a coordinator and not the HC.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I think he was the Buffalo OC for a season or two as well, before Denver. I don't dislike Studesville, he seems like a good guy, and a good enough coach. But I think the Broncos need a fresh person there. Of course I'd love for it to be Bobby Turner, but I think he becomes OC wherever a Shanahan is HC.
    With Kubiak's health concerns do you think he would step back in another role with the organization? If that happened would Shanahan considered Denver, or were bridges burned with letting his dad go?

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    You have great insights and perspective. Your idea on a new RB coach is interesting. I had a momentary thought about that as well - Eric Studesville has been with the Broncos since 2010 and I think he was with the Giants for 0-10 years. Seems like he's done a decent job but a change could help with the right coach.

Kubiak also needs help from a health perspective. The losses and issues with the team already look like they're taking a toll on him - he missed the first SD game this season. I think he would do better overseeing everything instead of running the offense. His experience from so many years and situations might serve the team better if he weren't involved in every play (I'm assuming he's involved in every play from watching him on the sideline but I don't know). Being able to step back and get involved selectively throughout a game might be a good thing.
    I think he was the Buffalo OC for a season or two as well, before Denver. I don't dislike Studesville, he seems like a good guy, and a good enough coach. But I think the Broncos need a fresh person there. Of course I'd love for it to be Bobby Turner, but I think he becomes OC wherever a Shanahan is HC.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Yep. First 3 years were his 3 years as OC in Denver under Shanahan. Next 4 years were his 4 years in Houston with Kubiak. Yes the last 2 years haven't been great, but the point is he's capable of being a decent OC. Denver needs to upgrade their o-line personnel, o-line coach and streamline their playcalling system. I've read that currently Dennison, Kubiak, Knapp and an analytics guy all have a say in the plays being called, they need to go down to 1 voice, it doesn't matter who it is, but 1 voice needs to make every play call. The other 3 can talk to that person in between series and give their input, but one person is the final authority and makes all calls, and that's it.

What I'd like to see is bring in an o-line coach, probably someone like John Benton, although I'd like Frank Pollack (not sure if he signed a 2 or 3 year contract with Dallas?) or Dave Magazu, I think Benton is the more likely hire. Then keep Dennison as OC with the specific title of running game coordinator. Keep Knapp as QB coach and passing game coordinator, and then I'd also bring in a new RB coach. Chick Harris was Kubiak's longtime RB coach in Houston, not sure if he would want to coach again or not? But that would be the staff. And then I would put Greg Knapp in charge of play calling.
    You have great insights and perspective. Your idea on a new RB coach is interesting. I had a momentary thought about that as well - Eric Studesville has been with the Broncos since 2010 and I think he was with the Giants for 0-10 years. Seems like he's done a decent job but a change could help with the right coach.

Kubiak also needs help from a health perspective. The losses and issues with the team already look like they're taking a toll on him - he missed the first SD game this season. I think he would do better overseeing everything instead of running the offense. His experience from so many years and situations might serve the team better if he weren't involved in every play (I'm assuming he's involved in every play from watching him on the sideline but I don't know). Being able to step back and get involved selectively throughout a game might be a good thing.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 12-19-2016, 07:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    Just a guess.....Dennison?
    Yep. First 3 years were his 3 years as OC in Denver under Shanahan. Next 4 years were his 4 years in Houston with Kubiak. Yes the last 2 years haven't been great, but the point is he's capable of being a decent OC. Denver needs to upgrade their o-line personnel, o-line coach and streamline their playcalling system. I've read that currently Dennison, Kubiak, Knapp and an analytics guy all have a say in the plays being called, they need to go down to 1 voice, it doesn't matter who it is, but 1 voice needs to make every play call. The other 3 can talk to that person in between series and give their input, but one person is the final authority and makes all calls, and that's it.

What I'd like to see is bring in an o-line coach, probably someone like John Benton, although I'd like Frank Pollack (not sure if he signed a 2 or 3 year contract with Dallas?) or Dave Magazu, I think Benton is the more likely hire. Then keep Dennison as OC with the specific title of running game coordinator. Keep Knapp as QB coach and passing game coordinator, and then I'd also bring in a new RB coach. Chick Harris was Kubiak's longtime RB coach in Houston, not sure if he would want to coach again or not? But that would be the staff. And then I would put Greg Knapp in charge of play calling.

Leave a comment:

• Rancid
    replied
    Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
    Yep 1977 Grits Blitz.
    I grew up in Atlanta back then. I was 12 and I don't even remember that. I think that was Steve Bartkowski, Lynn Cain, William Andrews, Billy 'White Shoes' Johnson? Jeff Van Note, the Center used to come to our local HS games all the time and Fulton Kuykendall used to drive around in a red 240Z. When I was 16 I worked at a Taco Bell in Roswell where I grew up and Kuykendall would come through the drive through a lot. I still did not know about the defense.

Leave a comment:

• DevilSpawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
    Was it the Falcons? I remember hearing how they had a one year wonder of a defense.
    Yep 1977 Grits Blitz.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X