X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SecondsAway131
    replied
    Originally posted by QBs win games View Post
    By the same token he has the PFF graded best defense in the league and an easy schedule playing a lot of bad defenses. He is a rookie but shouldn't we expect a lot more? A 3.8% TD percentage is even below game manager standards and scoring points is the QB's job (scoring drives that turn into points).

What happens when our defense is 10th or even 20th ranked? You can make the oline better and running game but any QB would do well with a top ranked defense, solid running game and oline. Ryan Leaf would do well with those condtions...
    Let's take a look at what the difference between our current team and our championship team from last year.

Statistic 2015 Broncos 2016 Trevor Siemian
    QB Completion Percentage 60.7% 61.3%
    Yards per Attempt 6.96 7.24
    Yards per Game 263.5 251.0
    Touchdowns 19 16
    Interceptions 23 8
    Sacks 39 31
    QB Rating 76.3 88.1
    3rd Down Percentage 35.27% 34.92%
    Rushing Yards per Attempt 4.18 3.59
    Rushing Yards per Game 107.4 90.8
    Rushing Touchdowns 13 8
    Field Goals 30 22
    Points per Game 22.2 22.0
    To me, the major differences I see are less turnovers and a less efficient run game. Trevor is performing better than our QB situation from last year, which netted us a 12-4 record and home field advantage in the playoffs. Our pass game seems to be better than last year, and our run game seems to be worse, yet we're relying a bit more on the run this year than last.

Personally, I'd like to see what the kid could do with some offensive line improvements.

Leave a comment:

• haciendadad
    replied
    This is like Thanksgiving Dinner all over again. For years, this debate will live on until we get a good o-line and then we can see what any QB can do.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Benoit
    replied
    Oh OP I bet you love some Semian. He gave your team a rare win in Denver scoring only 3 points despite the broncos defense completely shutting terrific Tom down. And good old pet project Semian had a 0% 3rd down conversion rate in the second half at home. I would bet you and other patriots fans hope Kubiak rolls with this next version of the texans QBs the patriots always had fun knocking them out of the playoffs due to no QB that could compete with Brady.

The patriots love them some Trevor "Kyle Orton" Semian.

I bet raider, chiefs and charger fans feel the same.
    So you blame a 2nd year, 7th round draft pick for the Broncos woes. A guy making short money compared to say a Thomas who is making top WR money and dropping easy passes or passes that are hard but a WR should make? That's interesting aren't he and Sanders suppose be the ELITE duo at WR? Also I heard Sanders whining that he "wasn't shut down that anyone can play deep cover 2" well then why didn't they adapt the play calling so he went under said coverage? Oh wait that's also on the Young QB.

Or wait maybe that Young QB at fault for that O line of 5 giving up pressure in under two seconds on a three man rush!

Or it's his fault when he DOES recognize a 3 man rush and audibles to a run but the run still only gets 2-3 yards.

You sound like a Bills fan, everything is the QBs fault. I mean there isn't like 10 other players on the field and an OC involved.

Leave a comment:

• CDUB1620
    replied
    I think he should be our future franchise QB over Lynch

Leave a comment:

• ND Broncos girl
    replied
    Don't know why the Broncos abandon the run game so quickly. Last year CJ's best quarter was the 4th??? We need help?? the defense is working their tails off every game. I feel sorry for them.

Leave a comment:

• Rastic
    replied
    By the same token he has the PFF graded best defense in the league and an easy schedule playing a lot of bad defenses. He is a rookie but shouldn't we expect a lot more? A 3.8% TD percentage is even below game manager standards and scoring points is the QB's job (scoring drives that turn into points).

What happens when our defense is 10th or even 20th ranked? You can make the oline better and running game but any QB would do well with a top ranked defense, solid running game and oline. Ryan Leaf would do well with those condtions...
    There is no by the same token. I simply said, and stand by it, that he's hard to pin down because of how bad the offense is on so many levels. Our defense has nothing to do with how poor the offense is playing and if they play better or worse, it makes not difference that the offense struggles to score. Win or lose, the offense is what it is.

Leave a comment:

• QBs win games
    replied
    Originally posted by MDN1959 View Post
    Funny! Will it be time for Romo next year? Put him on the traveling gypsy show. The Texans took (pirated) Osweiler away to do just what is happening. Dog eat dog, no touchyfeely bull, but would good ole Hollywood Brock really been worth it in Denver?
    I am not even sure Kubiak with will work with a franchise caliber QB. Brock leaving Denver was the best thing that happened to this franchise in a long time.

Leave a comment:

• QBs win games
    replied
    Originally posted by Rastic View Post
    Siemain is hard to honestly judge right now. It's rare a QB will find a perfect environment to allow them to excel to their full potential. Put that same QB in an extremely bad offense and it's hard to expect him to stand out for good reasons.

Some of the already mentioned issues:
    • Lack of run game (putting it mildly) which the offense is built on (losing our FB didn't help either)
    • Poor blocking
    • Timely drops

Add that to a first year QB who does not have the experience of seasoned vet it's easy to understand why Siemian can be up and down. How much would you trust the line being one of the most hit QBs in the league?

It's easy to understand why he would struggle with his reads.

Throw in conservative play calling that plays to the opponents favor than it does to our offense, it says the coaches do not trust Siemian. I get that to a degree but, like Schofield on an island against Mack last year vs. the Raiders, no changes were made to help - so nothing evident seems done to help Siemian. Why can't we mix it up, run no huddle some more, more plays from shot gun, something that will give pause to the defense - or since they can easily rush with only three men, give Siemian an extra second?

I can't say if Siemian will ever be elite or just an average journeyman, but it's safe to say without some changes with the offense, we may never know what he can be or is with this offense.

Leave a comment:

• MDN1959
    replied
    Oh OP I bet you love some Semian. He gave your team a rare win in Denver scoring only 3 points despite the broncos defense completely shutting terrific Tom down. And good old pet project Semian had a 0% 3rd down conversion rate in the second half at home. I would bet you and other patriots fans hope Kubiak rolls with this next version of the texans QBs the patriots always had fun knocking them out of the playoffs due to no QB that could compete with Brady.

Funny! Will it be time for Romo next year? Put him on the traveling gypsy show. The Texans took (pirated) Osweiler away to do just what is happening. Dog eat dog, no touchyfeely bull, but would good ole Hollywood Brock really been worth it in Denver?

Leave a comment:

• Rastic
    replied
    Siemain is hard to honestly judge right now. It's rare a QB will find a perfect environment to allow them to excel to their full potential. Put that same QB in an extremely bad offense and it's hard to expect him to stand out for good reasons.

Some of the already mentioned issues:
    • Lack of run game (putting it mildly) which the offense is built on (losing our FB didn't help either)
    • Poor blocking
    • Timely drops

Add that to a first year QB who does not have the experience of seasoned vet it's easy to understand why Siemian can be up and down. How much would you trust the line being one of the most hit QBs in the league?

Gil BrandtVerified account 9:35 AM - 14 Dec 2016
    ‏@Gil_Brandt
    Broncos have 100 QB hits this season (7.7 per game). That's the highest per-game average since the stat was first tracked in 2000.
    It's easy to understand why he would struggle with his reads.

Throw in conservative play calling that plays to the opponents favor than it does to our offense, it says the coaches do not trust Siemian. I get that to a degree but, like Schofield on an island against Mack last year vs. the Raiders, no changes were made to help - so nothing evident seems done to help Siemian. Why can't we mix it up, run no huddle some more, more plays from shot gun, something that will give pause to the defense - or since they can easily rush with only three men, give Siemian an extra second?

I can't say if Siemian will ever be elite or just an average journeyman, but it's safe to say without some changes with the offense, we may never know what he can be or is with this offense.

Leave a comment:

• QBs win games
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BroncoFanDK
    replied
    Originally posted by chad72 View Post
    Siemian just has not seen enough Ds to know where to go as quickly as a vet, it has to come with experience. But drafting Paxton Lynch, and having one foot in no man's land, is not going to do Broncos any favors in the short term when they still have this level of defensive talent to contend.

Are you going to invest in Siemian's development or Lynch's development?
    Are you going to invest around Siemian's skills and talents or Lynch's skills and talents?

It is a decision the Broncos have to make. If they feel Lynch is not ready but want him to be ready, the only way to get him ready is to take the lumps as a team, having a losing season or two and let him learn in the line of fire. If they feel Siemian gives them the best chance to win while Lynch is on his rookie contract, let Siemian know with an extension for 2 or 3 years that he is their guy and invest around his skills for a couple of years.

Siemian is only going to get better but if they do not shore up the OL, he will end up missing more games than the Broncos want him to.
    There is absolutely no reason to go with Paxton Lynch given the performances Trevor is putting up. He is playing the mental game at high level and there is no garantee that Lynch will matarialise. TS has done great and he is improving. We are playing the toughest division in football right now and he is improving.

In a parallel universe I would have liked to see where Tebow would have been now, as he produced a lot better against the Pats as a young inexperienced QB needing time to refine his craft. Lets praise Trevor for where he is now, and hope that he is a strong building block. Our key issues are run defense and running game/o-line.

Leave a comment:

• MDN1959
    replied
    As good as he is, and I agree except he seems to have a bit lead in his butt and can't get 1st downs with his legs like most young QBs do, and/or get out of bounds safely. His agility is lacking and that's why it's imperative he has to have a Grade A Oline in front of him, which should've been done by the front office when TS makes peanuts for $s. The powers to be should've put more $s up for a better Oline. Maybe Trevor can go on the Brady diet and become "pliable" thus allowing the franchise to slide on Oline pay.

Leave a comment:

• Joshua2585
    replied
    IF you consider how terrible the O-Line and Run game has been... how little time he has and he's still playing as well as he has...

Fix that O-Line and give him a little bit of a running game to open things up and I think TS is the future and can be elite. The kid is wicked smart and Kubes has constantly said he can take in a TON of information (something Lynch has been struggling with). He's starting to make a lot of audibles and get guys lined up too. He's recognizing defenses and taking advantage. I think he's got a really high ceiling.

Leave a comment:

• SecondsAway131
    replied
    The worst thing you can do to a young Quarterback is place him behind a poor offensive line. Trevor has seemed to have relative success despite a poor OL. One thing I like is for a first year starter, he hasn't committed many turnovers, which I think shows maturity. To do this with an extremely subpar offensive unit shows he deserves a chance with some better protection.

Another terrible thing for a young quarterback is a constantly changing scheme. Successful franchise quarterbacks aren't changing playbooks often.

I'm likely in the minority here, but I believe the Sam Bradford's, Blaine Gabbert's, and Blake Bortles's of the world would have very different careers if they go to teams with a solid line and some coaching continuity.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X