X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BroncoFanDK
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Benoit View Post
    First I will say NO WB will be good or great without at least an average O line in front of them. Right now IMO the Broncos O line in the bottom 1/3rd of the league.

Also chemistry? I consider that type of mistake being a WR Runs an out when the QB expects a slant not the QB hits THEM on your numbers and THEY drop the football. Drops happen but not as much as they did at least yesterday for Denver.

Running Game, again even Great QBs need the threat of a running game. (3-4 yards a carry) but a young QB needs it even more as they don't have the experience of reading D like a Brady, Rogers, Bree's etc.

IMO Siemiens played as well as any reasnable person would expect. He made one mistake and had numerous easy catches dropped which per experts really screws with a QB confidence.

I'm not saying Siemien is a HOF QB, but I think he is a starting caliber QB.
    That is so true about the balance and the need to rely on your running game and receivers, and the note of what experience brings. I think the schedule that the Broncos has played and has yet to play is as hard as it could be, and it is tough on a young QB. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning had to hone their skills as well, and Peyton's ability to get his teammates into the best situation presnap and Tom Brady's ability to adjust post snap did not come without a lot of live bullets.

Trevor might shine a bit and then falter, but his ability to read the game seems to be very good for a young QB.

Leave a comment:

• chad72
    replied
    I THINK siemiens was a stop gap between Manning and Lynch. A QB capable of starting as the young QB learns things in the background. I think Elways assessment was/is correct. I just don't think Elway knew how Badly the Oline would regress.
    Elway needs to play free agency for OL, let Siemian test the market, and go all in with Lynch then starting with the offseason then. Siemian will start somewhere else if Elway does not extend him. Then, your franchise will have short term pain with the talent on D wasted away for another year at least, IMO.

Draft picks for OL take a LONG time to develop. Skill positions can easily be addressed in the draft, just not OL and DL. Spend the money on the OL, and get the rest from the draft with some speed infused in with smaller shiftier wide outs and RBs that should be available to augment your current wide outs.

Leave a comment:

• Mel B.
    replied
    I lurk a little here but wanted just say I like your young QB. He IMO wasn't the reason for the loss yesterday.

Yeah 90% of our loses are because of our 'do-nothing' offense.

Hell 90% of our wins are 'close' wins because of our 'do-nothing' offense.

I say it all starts up front and until we get an NFL-caliber starting offensive line our offense will remain a 'do-nothing' offense and will continue to serve as every opponent's best defense.

Leave a comment:

• cmc0605
    replied
    There's a double standard around here in how long Trevor's leash is, and that of Paxton.

Both are essentially rookies (yes, I know TS is a second year player, but he had no in-game experience last year). Paxton came in from a better draft status. Right now, Trevor is unequivocally lightyears ahead of Paxton in virtually every aspect of the game, but few people are willing to let Siemian go through the steep uphill climb that young QBs (even Brady or Manning back in the day) had to go through. The general notion is that if we just let Paxton do that, it'll be a rough year or so but then we'll be a 40 pt/game kind of offense.

There's no reason to believe Paxton will ever be ahead of Simian based on what we've seen. Maybe he will. Either way, we don't currently run an offense designed to put up big points.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Benoit
    replied
    Originally posted by chad72 View Post
    Siemian just has not seen enough Ds to know where to go as quickly as a vet, it has to come with experience. But drafting Paxton Lynch, and having one foot in no man's land, is not going to do Broncos any favors in the short term when they still have this level of defensive talent to contend.

Are you going to invest in Siemian's development or Lynch's development?
    Are you going to invest around Siemian's skills and talents or Lynch's skills and talents?

It is a decision the Broncos have to make. If they feel Lynch is not ready but want him to be ready, the only way to get him ready is to take the lumps as a team, having a losing season or two and let him learn in the line of fire. If they feel Siemian gives them the best chance to win while Lynch is on his rookie contract, let Siemian know with an extension for 2 or 3 years that he is their guy and invest around his skills for a couple of years.

Siemian is only going to get better but if they do not shore up the OL, he will end up missing more games than the Broncos want him to.
    I THINK siemiens was a stop gap between Manning and Lynch. A QB capable of starting as the young QB learns things in the background. I think Elways assessment was/is correct. I just don't think Elway knew how Badly the Oline would regress.

Leave a comment:

• chad72
    replied
    Siemian just has not seen enough Ds to know where to go as quickly as a vet, it has to come with experience. But drafting Paxton Lynch, and having one foot in no man's land, is not going to do Broncos any favors in the short term when they still have this level of defensive talent to contend.

Are you going to invest in Siemian's development or Lynch's development?
    Are you going to invest around Siemian's skills and talents or Lynch's skills and talents?

It is a decision the Broncos have to make. If they feel Lynch is not ready but want him to be ready, the only way to get him ready is to take the lumps as a team, having a losing season or two and let him learn in the line of fire. If they feel Siemian gives them the best chance to win while Lynch is on his rookie contract, let Siemian know with an extension for 2 or 3 years that he is their guy and invest around his skills for a couple of years.

Siemian is only going to get better but if they do not shore up the OL, he will end up missing more games than the Broncos want him to.

Leave a comment:

• rst08tierney
    replied
    Take away yesterday's drops and who knows what the outcome would have been......

I don't get the excuses. These are some of the same receiver(s) dropping tebows passes and blaming the opposite ball rotation.

Leave a comment:

• trc1962
    replied
    Very sad performance by the offense for the season although Siemien has sure improved and he is no doubt the future. Our o-line is horrible or even worse than that and I was frustrated that DT dropped the bomb - he had to just catch that. I think Siemien must feel frustrated as he is rushed relentlessly on every play, there is no run game and to top it off his receivers.t ends are dropping the ball. No more zone blocking please, it is not what works these days.

Leave a comment:

• Jonny_Quest
    replied
    Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
    Not to be a naysayer but you are stating if you give an NFL QB a really good o-line protection , a run game and chemistry with his receivers he can be successful? Doesn't that apply to every one of them? What separates the good QBs from the average is the ability to overcome the the myriad of things that can go wrong in a game.

Just about every QB to make it in the NFL has the talent to be there. There is a long list of QBs that "under the right situation" can be a starter. Siemian is getting his chance to run a horrible offense because the Broncos had no other choice once they backed themselves into a corner, not because he is the preferred QB.

Siemian is a a wonderful story of overcoming the odds and apparently a really nice young man.. He is even a decent competent QB in the NFL. His family should be proud. I just do not see the long term faith some of you are giving him.

Maybe it is my own misguided bias, but I am still seeing a limited journeyman QB in Siemian. His play yesterday was indicative of what we have seen all year long except on a few occasions. Uninspired. Do not get me wrong, not blaming all the offensive issues on him, just not ready to anoint him the continued starter based on this season.

I will not be surprised to see him have a long career as a backup "looking for his next great opportunity to start. Add him to the long list of marginal QBs like Hoyer, A. Davis, Sanchez or Fitzpatrick. Give it five years and a couple of teams hoping to see the QB that "won games in Denver". Siemian will fit right in on that list.

Look at how many quarterbacks failed behind Dallas's offensive line and running game when Romo went down in previous years.

Leave a comment:

• canadiansbronco
    replied
    Seeing their prevent 3 man rush D get to Trev in about 1.5 seconds made me realise how screwed we are

Leave a comment:

• Three peat
    replied
    As a have watched seimian several times this year and watched him yesterday as I am a pats fan, I think he will never be an elite QB, more of a starter for a lower tier NFL team or a competent backup. Too inconsistent and cant get off first reads fast enough.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Benoit
    replied
    Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
    Since you are a Pats fan you have a unique perspective.

What are your thoughts on Matt Cassell? How about Garoppolo? System or intangibles to be quality starters?

In the "right situation" Cassell was the feel good story of the year and goes 11-5 and throws for 3500 yards. Put him on another team and suddenly he is a journeyman struggling to live up to those expectations of potential. Did he lose his talent with every other team or was he a good QB that had the right situation and support in NE?

Much to the frustration of my fellow Bronco fans I have had this opinion of Siemian all season long. Although he has had his moments and played better then I expected, nothing has changed my overall opinion.
    With Cassell I would like say people bought into fools gold. The year he went 11-5, the Pats faced a very weak schedule, and he was playing on an offense that the year before broke records. I mean let's not forget he had the same O that was 16-0 band with Brady would probably been 15-1 or MAYBE 14-2 at worse.

As for Jimmy G. I like what I have seen, but my one concern with him is he Tony Romo 2.0? In other words plays great but is injured a lot. (Funny thing is both from the same college lol)

The one thing they both have in common is COACHING, I love BB and he always puts his teams in the right position to win 95% of the time (they don't always but they have that chance.)

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    I am somewhere in the middle of this assessment. It's true, Trevor needs more support around him. But it is also true that most QBs do. So my assumption is that our #1 priority is Oline.......which I thought was a high priority this season. That's the one area of concern I have with our team now, as in, why we did not address it more effectively given how much it hurt us last season. Hey, you can not say "we won the SB", and let that be the logic for not making significant improvements. We discussed it all last season.

Back to Trevor, I am not absolutely sure where I see his future. I see some really good attributes already, and he has won a lot of games for a new QB. I need to see more, without excuses or reasons why he has been given a bad shake so far.

And to be fair to him, when healthy and mobile, he has done quite well!

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    That's depends who is the coach instead? If you put Trevor say in NE,. Yes if not better than he did this year. But you put him on say Cleveland , He'll no since they are clueless.

OR if it's a different coach in Denver, that depends on the coach.
    Since you are a Pats fan you have a unique perspective.

What are your thoughts on Matt Cassell? How about Garoppolo? System or intangibles to be quality starters?

In the "right situation" Cassell was the feel good story of the year and goes 11-5 and throws for 3500 yards. Put him on another team and suddenly he is a journeyman struggling to live up to those expectations of potential. Did he lose his talent with every other team or was he a good QB that had the right situation and support in NE?

Much to the frustration of my fellow Bronco fans I have had this opinion of Siemian all season long. Although he has had his moments and played better then I expected, nothing has changed my overall opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Benoit
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I just have one question, would Trevor be as good as he has been without Kubiak???

That is the true question here.
    That's depends who is the coach instead? If you put Trevor say in NE,. Yes if not better than he did this year. But you put him on say Cleveland , He'll no since they are clueless.

OR if it's a different coach in Denver, that depends on the coach.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X