X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • False Start
    Playmaker
    • Mar 2009

The problem though is that while gosh, I like CJ but he's not GREAT and try as we might we can't find someone to be better than CJ so when hes gone we feel it.

Comment

• -Rod-
      #TeamBroncos
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by haciendadad View Post
      People just don't understand how difficult it is for a rookie RB to really mature.
      Maybe that's one of the reasons why Booker fell in the draft. He will be 25 years old before next season begins. That's old for a RB. Think about it. CJ Anderson is in his 4th season and he is 25. Hillman is in his 6th season and he is 25.

Booker had 292 rushes in 2014, 268 rushes and a knee injury in 2015, 24 years old. I think it helps explain why he was still available in the 4th round.
      sigpic

Comment

• Rich_C
        Captain
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Butler By'Note
        Really? You believe the o-line is decent and that the second best lineman Denver had this year is the problem with them? The QB does need to get through reads quicker but this o-line is bad. Joe Montana in his prime struggles behind this line.
        Only Stat I have not found or seen is how he has done blocking during run plays. Generally speaking it appears Schofield has improved a tremendous amount from last season. So long as his run blocking stats are average to above average I'd say keep him and have him work again on polishing his technique this off season.

The other thing which others here are forgetting is that he played rather well as a fill in on LT. So not only has he shown he is a great fit for us as a Guard but he can act as a gameday active backup at Tackle.

Comment

• BroncoBuff
          Practice Squad
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by jrod48 View Post
          Matt Paradis is the only offensive linemen worth keeping!
          Yes, Paradis is the only one worth keeping unconditionally. But I think also Okung if he's willing to restructure (remember, acting as his own agent, the fool signed a low-salary first year, sky-high salary second and later years contract). Maybe Garcia or Sambrailo as reserves.

Also Barone's gotta go ... hire Harry Hiestand from Notre Dame, draft 3 O-lineman and sign a couple more.

Comment

• BroncoBuff
            Practice Squad
            • Aug 2005

But just as relevant to this topic is John's "Achilles Heel" - drafting offensive players. He's A-1 best in the league at drafting defense and especially at signing free agents, but the list of offensive players taken in his six drafts is horrifying:

John's best drafted offensive player? Julius Thomas.

John's second best? Matt Paradis or Orlando Franklin.

And I can't be the only guy who's wondered about letting Franklin go ... obviously the Chargers see something in him that we did not, he's started every game he's played there. In fact he's started every game he's played in the NFL. Just turned 29, mon .....

John's 4th best draftee on offense? Osweiler or Siemian. Check it yourself if you don't believe me.

Connor McGovern has been a healthy inactive every week this year ....

Comment

• 58Miller
              Football Immortal
              • Jul 2013

The way I see it:
              Pos. 1st / 2nd
              LT. /Sambrailo &Schofield
              LG /M.Garcia or C.McGovern
              C. Paradis /M.Garcia or Ferentz
              RG Schofield /B. Turner
              RT /
              I only see Schofield and Paradis as starters.
              Im hoping we can land Riley Reif or Rick Wagner.
              Then our first 3 picks should be 2 oline men and 1 d lineman
              sigpic

Comment

• KWHIT97
                Master of the Mock
                • Oct 2007

In my opinion we keep Okung. He is a good of who is playing beside a horrible guard in Max Garcia. Keep Okung, sign Kevin Zeitler, start Connor McGovern, and have Schofield start at RT. There is your 2017 o-line, with Paradis at C of course.

Comment

• Broncodoodle
                  Practice Squad
                  • Oct 2008

I'm down for blowing this whole thing up. I would prefer big fat Maulers over 330lbs at every position. Need some mean dudes with meat on the line.

Comment

• TheAsianPA
                    Captain
                    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Broncodoodle View Post
                    I'm down for blowing this whole thing up. I would prefer big fat Maulers over 330lbs at every position. Need some mean dudes with meat on the line.
                    I don't think that fits the ZBS scheme well. From what I've read angle blocking needs athletic and mobile types instead of power blockers.
                    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Broncodoodle
                      Practice Squad
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                      I don't think that fits the ZBS scheme well. From what I've read angle blocking needs athletic and mobile types instead of power blockers.
                      My point exactly. Time to get rid of this 20th Century offensive ZBS scheme.

Comment

• Rich_C
                        Captain
                        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                        And Imo that general line of thought is why we are in our current mess now. We drafted lighter and nimble players. In reality many of these big dudes nowadays are far more mobile than their counter parts of years or decades past. Many of these guys have already ran a mix of zone,angle and power blocking either in HS or in College or both. I think that is why the successful oline like in Dallas drafted smart and physically gifted athletes who has the size and brains. Mix in good to great coaching and bam arguably the NFL's best oline.

So to tie it back to the thread I think we need to replace our RT and LG Pronto. I also think we need a good center as I suspect Paradis will need surgery this offseason.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                          Banned User
                          • Dec 2015

Sam - I recall from before the season you believed that much of the success for Denver's offense would be based on the play of Okung and Green.

Although RT has been the most glaring problem, going into week 11 Okung is responsible for 38 QB pressures, second-most among left tackles in the league.

Green has only 6 receptions for 64 yards averaging 4.9 yards/game, long of 18 and only 1 TD (ranks 72nd among TEs).

Aside from Okung and Green the Broncos lost CJ Anderson, Andy Janovich and Kapri Bibbs to injury.

At RT Donald Stephenson and Ty Sambrailo have given up 6 sacks and 46 total QB pressures on the season going into the 11th week -most in the league.

I'm not sure that "another offense" would makeup for the injuries at RB, FB and poor play at LT/RT. Not to mention lack of consistent TE production - maybe some of the issues at TE come from the high number of QB pressures coming from LT/RT.

Different formations and personnel groups might help in some situations however, lineman need to block properly, your best RB/FB need to be on the field and you need consistency from the TEs.

I think its too easy for us to say the offense is "90s" and therefore it doesn't work anymore.
                          Last edited by Fantaztic7; 12-25-2016, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• 58Miller
                            Football Immortal
                            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by BroncoBuff View Post
                            But just as relevant to this topic is John's "Achilles Heel" - drafting offensive players. He's A-1 best in the league at drafting defense and especially at signing free agents, but the list of offensive players taken in his six drafts is horrifying:

John's best drafted offensive player? Julius Thomas.

John's second best? Matt Paradis or Orlando Franklin.

And I can't be the only guy who's wondered about letting Franklin go ... obviously the Chargers see something in him that we did not, he's started every game he's played there. In fact he's started every game he's played in the NFL. Just turned 29, mon .....

John's 4th best draftee on offense? Osweiler or Siemian. Check it yourself if you don't believe me.

Connor McGovern has been a healthy inactive every week this year ....
                            All I remember was Franklin allowing his guy to push him back in the Superbowl and reaching over him and hitting Manning arm, ball pops up and Malcolm Smith takes it to the house.
                            Decker had 10 yards pass the safeties 1 more second and it's a 15 to 7 game, I'm not saying Denver would have won or even competed in the game but I Remer re-watching the game and seeing something that little start a run away win. Franklin got manhandled that whole game.
                            I think Franklin got $7 mill a year to go to SD and Elway wound up with Mathis for $2 mile a better player and fit for the zone scheme.
                            sigpic

Comment

• MHOC
                              Starter
                              • Mar 2013

Everyone did want Kyle fired here in Atl, those same people are saying he is the greatest thing ever. It takes time to be able to learn the system and run it properly

Comment

Working...
                              X