Jeff Heuerman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Heuerman

Jeff played 37 snaps last week, but with Green and Derby in the concussion protocal, he will be getting a lot more snaps this next to weeks. From what I saw on Sunday he played well.

Targeted 5 times this season. 4 passes got to his hands and he caught all 4 for 88 yards, a whooping 22.0 YPC. What is wrong with Heuerman? The only wrong thing in my eyes is the lack of opportunities, because he caught every pass that got to him so far. 29-yard reception vs Bengals, 31-yard reception vs Patriots. And he is legit 6'5. I'd say throw to him more and give him a chance in the endzone.
    sigpic

Comment

It seems in this scheme tight ends seem to struggle to be used in the passing game. It would seem that they are needed to block more often than not with this line, cutting down chances on receptions.
      Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

They really need to change the offensive scheme. When something just isn't working why continue to be stubborn. This stupid scheme just cost us the season perhaps and if they had changed it long ago we'd be on our way to another championship, and you know that's true with this defense.
        sigpic

Comment

Man is an asset. Stupid not to use him more.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LSIGRAD09 View Post
            Man is an asset. Stupid not to use him more.
            I want to say that it's a Kubiak offense thing but if you notice Peyton Manning didn't use Virgil green all that much either the last couple years however Julius Thomas was featured quite often so I guess we can say that it's a Kubiaks offense.

I'm telling you guys this offense is old and it's outdated and it's costing us a championship season. It is not gonna work, Kubiak needs to change it in order for guys like Heuerman to shine and live up to their potential.

Big Al and Cecil Lammie we're talking about the tight end coach last night saying that he could be his fault why the tight ends are involved but I'm not gonna go that far to blame him because I don't believe that to be true for one minute.

If Kubiak doesn't change it soon then I believe Mark Schlereth is right when he says Gary Kubiak is John candy at Wally world in the movie the National lampoons vacation (Griswold's) "sorry folks, parks closed The horse out front should've told ya oh ha ha"
            Last edited by Sam_Z; 12-20-2016, 07:09 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

There is a lot of talk about Kubiak's offense being old and outdated, but I don't even know what that means. That sounds like grasping at anything to find blame - and there is plenty of blame to be had - but I honestly do not think it is because the style and philosophy of the offense is the problem.

There are are fundamentals to an offensive scheme that make it work, where to attack, how to attack, where to create holes in the defense, etc. For that you need personnel that understands and can implement it both on the sidelines as much as on the field. We seem to be lacking talent in both areas. Where coaching is concerned, what has bothered me most is our offense's tendency not to make changes when a serious problem is noticed - we'll leave a player on an island against a defender that is mauling them, or we'll actually find some plays that give a particular defense fits but refuse to make more use of them.

Those issues are not because a style is outdated. I believe there are issues to be found but not so much at the fundamental level, more in talent and execution on the field, and creativity along with an active responsiveness or situational awareness on the sideline.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                I want to say that it's a Kubiak offense thing but if you notice Peyton Manning didn't use Virgil green all that much either the last couple years however Julius Thomas was featured quite often so I guess we can say that it's a Kubiaks offense.

I'm telling you guys this offense is old and it's outdated and it's costing us a championship season. It is not gonna work, Kubiak needs to change it in order for guys like Heuerman to shine and live up to their potential.

Big Al and Cecil Lammie we're talking about the tight end coach last night saying that he could be his fault why the tight ends are involved but I'm not gonna go that far to blame him because I don't believe that to be true for one minute.

If Kubiak doesn't change it soon then I believe Mark Schlereth is right when he says Gary Kubiak is John candy at Wally world in the movie the National lampoons vacation (Griswold's) "sorry folks, parks closed The horse out front should've told ya oh ha ha"
                If Heuerman is such an asset, why did Elway trade for A.J. Derby? Do you really think Kubiak is so inept that he would just refuse to use a clearly talented player?

By the way, regarding Virgil Green, the reason Peyton Manning didn't throw him the ball is because Virgil is not a pass catching TE. Julius Thomas is. Isn't it painfully obvious at this point? It has nothing to do with Kubiak's system.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
                  If Heuerman is such an asset, why did Elway trade for A.J. Derby? Do you really think Kubiak is so inept that he would just refuse to use a clearly talented player?

By the way, regarding Virgil Green, the reason Peyton Manning didn't throw him the ball is because Virgil is not a pass catching TE. Julius Thomas is. Isn't it painfully obvious at this point? It has nothing to do with Kubiak's system.
                  Heuerman has had 4 receptions, two for gains over 25 yards. That's something to start with by saying there's something there talent wise. And kubiak clearly can't see when there's a lack of talent with the punt returner, what is there to say that we can trust him with TE talent placement? Either way the majority if our TEs are used for blocking since the line is so bad. And when they're not the line is being pushed into Trevor in less than 2 seconds
                  Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                    Heuerman has had 4 receptions, two for gains over 25 yards. That's something to start with by saying there's something there talent wise. And kubiak clearly can't see when there's a lack of talent with the punt returner, what is there to say that we can trust him with TE talent placement? Either way the majority if our TEs are used for blocking since the line is so bad. And when they're not the line is being pushed into Trevor in less than 2 seconds
                    I guess I'm not intrigued by a guy who has 4 catches for 88 yards in two years. I don't think Elway was either, considering Derby.

Comment

Heuerman was on IR his first season and injured again in TC. Some players struggle with injuries early and work out well over time - Matt Stafford is a good example.

A lot of people say Elway and Kubiak haven't tried to address TE TE, both talent and play calling. The Broncos signed Phillips, played him, signed Derby and released Phillips. Derby and Green have been targeted more over the last several games and Heuerman vs. NE*.

With Green and Derby in concussion protocol, Heuerman will likely be used more - people were calling to release him and at the same time we need to use our TEs more.

Broncos still have a chance to make the playoffs - glad they didn't cut Heuerman.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
                        I guess I'm not intrigued by a guy who has 4 catches for 88 yards in two years. I don't think Elway was either, considering Derby.
                        Well you need depth. Maybe Heuerman just hasn't learned the playbook. He was injured last year, but he has played well when involved. Green got a contract and may be used more in blocking. Derby has been our receiving threat, but he doesn't look that big. I'd like to see both Heuerman and Derby out there at the same time with DT and Sanders.
                        Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

I think the trade for Derby was more a result of disappointment with Green than Heuerman. If Green had developed into a receiving threat and the team only needed other TEs to block and play minor roles as eventual receivers, Elway probably would not have given the Patriots a 5th-round pick to add a receiving TE.

Green was supposed to be the man at TE this season, playing the role of Owen Daniels who could get 500-800 yards in Kubiak's offense. I'm watching Green struggling to catch passes, struggling to be consistent. That's why Elway decided that Green is not the answer as the #1 TE on the roster. Derby has clearly taken over that role getting most of the targets among TEs.

Heuerman is depth as an in-line TE that blocks and gets a few targets, more like a traditional TE as opposed to a receiver like Derby. I just think he's looked good when he had a chance in games, so he could get more opportunities to prove his worth.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                            I think the trade for Derby was more a result of disappointment with Green than Heuerman. If Green had developed into a receiving threat and the team only needed other TEs to block and play minor roles as eventual receivers, Elway probably would not have given the Patriots a 5th-round pick to add a receiving TE.

Green was supposed to be the man at TE this season, playing the role of Owen Daniels who could get 500-800 yards in Kubiak's offense. I'm watching Green struggling to catch passes, struggling to be consistent. That's why Elway decided that Green is not the answer as the #1 TE on the roster. Derby has clearly taken over that role getting most of the targets among TEs.

Heuerman is depth as an in-line TE that blocks and gets a few targets, more like a traditional TE as opposed to a receiver like Derby. I just think he's looked good when he had a chance in games, so he could get more opportunities to prove his worth.
                            I agree. I think it also could have been that maybe they liked him in the draft but didn't pull the trigger. After seeing him have success in the preseason they might have felt better about giving up a pick for him. Add to the fact that he was ready to come and contribute immediately, and the move seemed worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                              Heuerman was on IR his first season and injured again in TC. Some players struggle with injuries early and work out well over time - Matt Stafford is a good example.

A lot of people say Elway and Kubiak haven't tried to address TE TE, both talent and play calling. The Broncos signed Phillips, played him, signed Derby and released Phillips. Derby and Green have been targeted more over the last several games and Heuerman vs. NE*.

With Green and Derby in concussion protocol, Heuerman will likely be used more - people were calling to release him and at the same time we need to use our TEs more.

Broncos still have a chance to make the playoffs - glad they didn't cut Heuerman.
                              I am one of the guilty party that was calling for his release in favor of keeping guys like Darius Kilgo and Shiloh Keo.

Keo may not have been that good a player but he was pretty solid. Anyway Im a guilty party calling for his release and I have no problem admitting it however it is looking like I was wrong about how him and I hope I am.

I am a team guy before an individual and for the betterment of the team I hope Heuerman works out.

Now for those of you who think I am being too hard on Gary Kubiak I'm sorry but I see all this talent on this team offensively, Island that we are underutilizing.

I mean we have guys like Jordan Taylor, Jeff Heuerman, Juwan Thompson and the recently acquired Forsett Who barely get a chance.

I see guys like Taylor who is severely underutilized. Why not change the offensive scheme a little bit and play to these players strengths? why not play to the strength of the team?

Kubiak himself said this is the most talented wide receiving group he has ever coached so why not come up with some kind of scheme to feature their talents and put points on the board.

I'll tell you what I think it is, I think Gary Kubiak has very little confidence in this team and that's not a good thing! I've been saying it for a long time now that he needs to take the handcuffs off but not just off of Trevor but off of the whole team.

Let them play, you are not John Fox...
                              Last edited by Sam_Z; 12-20-2016, 08:34 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X