Too much panic and overreacting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much panic and overreacting

Realistically speaking, the Broncos are a good team, despite their serious flaws. The overreaction on this forum gives the perception that many fans here haven't watched other teams play, this season. This year's team clearly isn't as good as they were last season, which was expected with the loss of key defensive pieces and CJ Anderson's injury earlier in the season.

However, their recent slump and overall record is just a product of the NFL treadmill, where most of the good teams are largely the same, and the games are decided by injuries, bad bounces(fumbles, dropped passes, etc) and luck.

As shown above, there's virtually no difference between the Broncos, Chiefs and Raiders, statistically, according to all the key numbers that generally translate to playoff success.

Point Differential
    Chiefs +45
    Broncos +41
    Raiders +41

Strength of Schedule
    Broncos #2 in the NFL(will be #1 at the end of the season)
    Raiders #2 in the NFL
    Chiefs #6 in the NFL

The NFL is the same virtually every season. There are 2-4 great teams(NE, Dallas, Seattle, maybe Atl), a handful of good teams(Pitt, Oakland, KC, Denver) and then a bunch of average to below average teams(their success is based on luck and their schedule), and the rest are bad. This year's Broncos are a good team that will have played the toughest schedule in the NFL, competed until the end in every game but 2(IIRC), but they will miss the playoffs due to misfortune.

They are just as likely to win the final 2 games as they are to lose(unless there's an implosion in the locker room), but even if they miss the playoffs, they clearly aren't far away from contending again, just a few tweaks during the off-season.
    Last edited by HarlemHeat; 12-20-2016, 05:14 PM.

Originally posted by HarlemHeat View Post
    Realistically speaking, the Broncos are a good team, despite their serious flaws. The overreaction on this forum gives the perception that many fans here haven't watched other teams play, this season. This year's team clearly isn't as good as they were last season, which was expected with the loss of key defensive pieces and CJ Anderson's injury earlier in the season.

However, their recent slump and overall record is just a product of the NFL treadmill, where most of the good teams are largely the same, and the games are decided by injuries, bad bounces(fumbles, dropped passes, etc) and luck.

As shown above, there's virtually no difference between the Broncos, Chiefs and Raiders, statistically, according to all the key numbers that generally translate to playoff success.

Point Differential
    Chiefs +45
    Broncos +41
    Raiders +41

Strength of Schedule
    Raiders #2 in the NFL
    Chiefs #6 in the NFL

The NFL is the same virtually every season. There are 2-3 great teams, a couple of good teams, a bunch of average teams, and the rest are bad. This year's Broncos are a good team that will have played the toughest schedule in the NFL, competed until the end in every game but 2(IIRC), but they will miss the playoffs due to misfortune.

They are just as likely to win the final 2 games as they are to lose(unless there's an implosion in the locker room), but even if they miss the playoffs, they clearly aren't far away from contending again, just a few tweaks during the off-season.
    I like the comparisons and the premise of the post, CPs. Where I lose you is that I can't agree that we are likely to miss the playoffs due to misfortune. Misfortune is not an offense that cannot find any cohesion, rhythm, or consistency regardless of injury. Neither is it misfortune that we are weak in the middle of our defense - stacked in our secondary and reliable with our OLBs and pass rush, but we cannot stop the run to save our lives.

There is always overreaction from different types of people and groups but that rarely reflect on everyone. It just happens when some are frustrated they are more likely to voice their frustrations and concerns than not.

Comment

I think most of us are complaining that this team has no balance, we are awesome with our defense but terrible with our offense. The average is a good overall team with the SRS (Simple Rating System). But that doesn't make me feel any better. Our offense is just plain offensive.
      Last edited by haciendadad; 12-20-2016, 09:51 PM.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

You also need to keep in mind that almost everyone on these boards are die-hard fans that are just not happy seeing something like this. We all have high expectations of our Broncos, whether realistic or not. These message boards just give everyone a place to vent.

Comment

Originally posted by AZBobalu View Post
          You also need to keep in mind that almost everyone on these boards are die-hard fans that are just not happy seeing something like this. We all have high expectations of our Broncos, whether realistic or not. These message boards just give everyone a place to vent.
          Very well said! Perhaps there is overreaction to the perceived overreaction of other fans' emotional reaction...

Comment

Whether we overreact or not, our offense has got to get better and fast. Our division is tough and if we don't turn it around we're gonna see ourselves in the bottom of it.

While PM was here, there used to be an arms race between us and NE, now it's about keeping pace with OAK, KC and NE. We no longer are gonna just slide into a division title anymore.

Fix this mess Elway and Kubes. NOW!
            Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

If crazy things said on these boards after a loss is something new to you either you forget things easily or you new to the boards.

Been coming here for a long time and that is probably the one consistant thing through all the coaches, good years, bad years and different posters on these boards.
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

We cannot seriously blame injuries to this circus of an offense we trot out there each week..

Apologies for using "circus".. it denigrates circuses cuz at least they are mildly amusing to watch.

Comment

Usually teams end up drafting in the top 5 when they are as bad at running the ball, and stopping the run as the Broncos this year. It's kind of amazing that this team is even in a position to make the playoffs.

Anybody who's bored can look up the stats on how many teams ranked in the bottom quarter of the league in both run defense and run offense actually make the playoffs. I'm guessing it's pretty low.... Tom Bady and Peyton Manning are probably the only 2 QBs to ever pull it off....

Comment

Make the Broncos Great Again
                    I believe.

Comment

I respect everyone here but I have to disagree with the post in large part. There's always some who overreact, but many that aren't pleased have very good reason for it. I believe in Elway, but have to say he may have been a little prideful or overconfident going into this season. The defense was still going to be great, even with the couple of departures. However, Peyton got killed last season behind a very shaky offensive line. I understand free agency issues and cap room, but the two tackles we picked up did not seem to be improvements, but get by players we hoped would perform (yes even Okung, who was coming off of injury). I was very uncomfortable with wishing on a star our O line would hold up, especially with a QB with 1 snap of real experience. We just held Brady to 16 points and only scored 3 in week 15. If it were early in the year, it wouldn't be as bad, but this late in the season is worrisome. Repeating was a long shot, but we're not really competitive in the list of contenders right now.
                      Last edited by champ&dreallday; 12-21-2016, 02:03 PM.

Comment

I critize and offer suggestions about what to do to improve things but think about it

We cried about winning 1 playoff game in ten years.

How much would Det love to be able to whine about 1 playoff win in 10 years. the late 80s. The late 90s back to back super bowl. The recent two super bowl and 5 div titles....how many teams wished their team had one of those playoff success stories.

We are a very spoiled fan base.
                        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post
                          I respect everyone here but I have to disagree with the post in large part. There's always some who overreact, but many that aren't pleased have very good reason for it. I believe in Elway, but have to say he may have been a little prideful or overconfident going into this season. The defense was still going to be great, even with the couple of departures. However, Peyton got killed last season behind a very shaky offensive line. I understand free agency issues and cap room, but the two tackles we picked up did not seem to be improvements, but get by players we hoped would perform (yes even Okung, who was coming off of injury). I was very uncomfortable with wishing on a star our O line would hold up, especially with a QB with 1 snap of real experience. We just held Brady to 16 points and only scored 3 in week 15. If it were early in the year, it wouldn't be as bad, but this late in the season is worrisome. Repeating was a long shot, but we're not really competitive in the list of contenders right now.
                          Who would you have picked up during the offseason that would've improved the line? Elway did make moves, they just ended up being the wrong moves, and ultimately I don't think there was anybody out there who we could've realistically gotten that would've helped.

Maybe we should've just kept Clady (with his scary injury history). Maybe we draft an o-lineman in the 1st instead of a project QB. Maybe we try to trade our 1st for Joe Thomas. We have the power of hindsight now, at the start of the season though, most thought Okung and Stephenson were going to be improvements. Had we known what we know now, I'm sure different moves would've been made

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                            I critize and offer suggestions about what to do to improve things but think about it

We cried about winning 1 playoff game in ten years.

How much would Det love to be able to whine about 1 playoff win in 10 years. the late 80s. The late 90s back to back super bowl. The recent two super bowl and 5 div titles....how many teams wished their team had one of those playoff success stories.

We are a very spoiled fan base.
                            Of course we are a spoiled fan base. We are The Denver Broncos. And our GM told us that we are built to win from NOW ON.

For me, It really doesn't help when folks compare our team to others. I really don't care what other teams look like or how poorly other teams do compared to our team. I care about what my team looks like. And our offense is horrible.

I get that we won a SB last year. It was thrilling and awesome. But I want to be a team that plays at the top every year. I want to be a team that the rest of the league has to reckon with.

I want to be consistently good. I'm not expecting a SB win every year. I know how hard that is. But I want to be a contender every year.

I want a team that fights, kicks, screams and claws. I do not want a team that has an offense that looks like they are sleep walking half the time.

I want a team that fixes it mistakes and improves as it goes along, not gets worse. I want a coach that doesn't keep playing one of the worst guys on the field and then coddles him in the media while other guys aren't getting more of a shot.

And the reason that I am critical or am not happy with what I'm seeing out there is because I expect more. I expect greatness from the Denver Broncos. And if I see them kicking and screaming and they lose, I'm OK with that. What I'm not OK with is watching a team making the same mistakes over and over with little improvement.

And we don't have too much time to remain mediocre, not when the rest of our division is playing lights out. There is a lot of damn good competition now in the AFCW and if we don't fix what ails us, we just might see ourselves in the bottom of the heap.

But I do trust Elway. And I know that he won't stand for this mess either. So, there's that.
                            Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by HarlemHeat View Post

Point Differential
                              Chiefs +45
                              Broncos +41
                              Raiders +41

Strength of Schedule
                              Raiders #2 in the NFL
                              Chiefs #6 in the NFL

The NFL is the same virtually every season. There are 2-4 great teams(NE, Dallas, Seattle, maybe Atl), a handful of good teams(Pitt, Oakland, KC, Denver) and then a bunch of average to below average teams(their success is based on luck and their schedule), and the rest are bad. This year's Broncos are a good team that will have played the toughest schedule in the NFL, competed until the end in every game but 2(IIRC), but they will miss the playoffs due to misfortune.

Yes, the broncos are a poor team. Consider the record against playoff teams.

Titans = Loss
                              Raiders = loss
                              Chiefs = Loss
                              Patriots Loss
                              Texans = W
                              Falcons = Loss

1 - 5 record. That is not a playoff team and we were beat handedly in many of those games because our QB/offense was shut down.

1 - 3 in division as well.
                              Last edited by QBs win games; 12-21-2016, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X