Which hurts more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which hurts more?

I've been a Broncos fan since 1982, and I have to say, by and large, the disappointing seasons were almost always because of defensive failures. We were always able to score points, for the most part, but usually couldn't stop anyone. Shanahan was terrible at assembling talent on defense (Anyone remember Dale Carter?), and Manning terrorized us for a decade, even after we added Champ Bailey.
    But this year is different. Yes, our ability to stop the run has been hindered by the departures of Jackson and Trevathan and the injuries to Wolfe and Marshall at various times throughout the season, but if the offense could manage 25 to 28 points every game, the opposition wouldn't be able to run nearly as much. To Talib's and Webster's point, nobody has to throw against us so it's really difficult for the Defense to make plays on the ball.
    Anyway, my question is this, does it hurt more that we aren't getting it done on offense or did it hurt more when we couldn't get it done on defense? That's all I really wanted to know.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Originally posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
    I've been a Broncos fan since 1982, and I have to say, by and large, the disappointing seasons were almost always because of defensive failures. We were always able to score points, for the most part, but usually couldn't stop anyone. Shanahan was terrible at assembling talent on defense (Anyone remember Dale Carter?), and Manning terrorized us for a decade, even after we added Champ Bailey.
    But this year is different. Yes, our ability to stop the run has been hindered by the departures of Jackson and Trevathan and the injuries to Wolfe and Marshall at various times throughout the season, but if the offense could manage 25 to 28 points every game, the opposition wouldn't be able to run nearly as much. To Talib's and Webster's point, nobody has to throw against us so it's really difficult for the Defense to make plays on the ball.
    Anyway, my question is this, does it hurt more that we aren't getting it done on offense or did it hurt more when we couldn't get it done on defense? That's all I really wanted to know.
    Losing hurts no matter how it happens. Poor defense, lack of offense or a missed field goal.....if the outcome is a loss you are disappointed.

I think the frustration with the losses this season comes from knowing the offense wouldn't need to perform at a high level - a few more field goals, a TD to finish a handful of drives and a few less turnovers on special teams would probably have this team winning the AFC West.

Let's keep this in perspective.....I have a close friend that just had something awful happen. Losing is part of the ride as much as we don't want it to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
      Having zero defense is the worst, because you could score 40 points and still lose. 2 examples of this: 1st. The KC Chefs with Priest Holmes, when they were the darlings of the media and no one could stop their offense. Then they went against the Colts in the playoffs and it ended up with both teams in the high 30's or low 40's and there was 1 punt total in the game. The second example is a Denver one from 2004, the Broncos were playing at home to the Falcons, it was a high scoring game and Jake Plummer had almost 500 yards passing, but they lost. Because they couldn't stop Atlanta and Michael Vick did have over 500 yards passing.

That's the worst games where you should win, but you know if the other team gets the ball last, there's no chance your team can stop them.

People can complain about the offense all they want (and it's warranted) but even with a horrific offense and a great defense the Broncos one a Super Bowl. With a great defense you still have the chance to win every game, and great defenses excel in the playoffs and when he weather gets bad. With a bad defense, you pretty much need a miracle.

Comment

Doesn't hurt at all since the teams not officially out of the playoffs. Just takes 2 wins.......

Comment

No offense. At least a shoot-out is fun to watch
          "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
            No offense. At least a shoot-out is fun to watch
            I like a shut out myself.
            My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

I don't think there is anything more helpless and frustrating than being unable to stop the run. A team that can run beats you in every way.

And wouldn't you know, we can't stop the run this year! Who think if we made the playoffs we could stop Leveon Bell, Latavius Murray, or Deon Lewis/White?

Comment

I think the biggest mistake in last year's offseason was letting Jackson go. If we had him this year, that probably would given us 2 more wins maybe more. As far as the offense goes, we could have gotten a lot more out of the talent we had, but poor coaching this year just kept putting the same product out there week after week and expected different results but as the tape accumulated week after week teams just figured us out by mid year. With some adjustments, and some creativeness we could have done more with what we have.
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

Originally posted by haciendadad View Post
                  I think the biggest mistake in last year's offseason was letting Jackson go. If we had him this year, that probably would given us 2 more wins maybe more. As far as the offense goes, we could have gotten a lot more out of the talent we had, but poor coaching this year just kept putting the same product out there week after week and expected different results but as the tape accumulated week after week teams just figured us out by mid year. With some adjustments, and some creativeness we could have done more with what we have.
                  I think Trevathan had a bigger impact on the running game. But neither was worth the $7-8m they were asking . Man, what a difference two players make!

Comment

Lack of offense hurts most.

TS should remain our QB regertless.

Comment

Originally posted by False Start View Post
                      Lack of offense hurts most.

TS should remain our QB regertless.
                      I haven't seen enough from him this season for him to be just handed the job. Assuming they don't go with a veteran in the offseason Siemian should get first reps in every offseason program, but he still needs to earn the job again next summer.

And if they can get a vet who's an upgrade, all bets are off.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                        I haven't seen enough from him this season for him to be just handed the job. Assuming they don't go with a veteran in the offseason Siemian should get first reps in every offseason program, but he still needs to earn the job again next summer.

And if they can get a vet who's an upgrade, all bets are off.
                        What vet could out perform TS behind this OL & without a running game?
                        "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

What vet could out perform TS behind this OL & without a running game?
                          I assume that they'll aim to improve both for next offseason. But again the point still is that Siemian hasn't done enough in this league to just be handed the job year after year, he needs to earn it.

He's played well at times, but he still needs to get better at moving through his progressions, avoiding sacks by doing little things like stepping up in the pocket, and getting the ball off quickly. He holds the ball way too long. Currently he ranks 33rd in the league (out of 47 passers) in how long he holds onto the ball for.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/ngs/timetothrow

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                            I assume that they'll aim to improve both for next offseason. But again the point still is that Siemian hasn't done enough in this league to just be handed the job year after year, he needs to earn it.

He's played well at times, but he still needs to get better at moving through his progressions, avoiding sacks by doing little things like stepping up in the pocket, and getting the ball off quickly. He holds the ball way too long. Currently he ranks 33rd in the league (out of 47 passers) in how long he holds onto the ball for.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/ngs/timetothrow
                            He's a rookie with a winning record and a TERRIBLE OL. Give him some time

Comment

He's a rookie with a winning record and a TERRIBLE OL. Give him some time
                              I'm not saying he needs to be replaced on the roster or even that he should lose the starting job. But I do think that he needs to earn it again next year. And if we want the Broncos to get better on offense, he needs to continue to improve as well. But from everything I've seen, he is improving, and he doesn't strike me as a guy who wouldn't think he needs to earn the job again next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X