Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better 8-8 Season?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Better 8-8 Season?

    This season or 2011?
    25
    2016
    12.00%
    3
    2011
    88.00%
    22
    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

  • #2
    Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
    This season or 2011?
    2011 for sure. One of the most exciting, exhilarating, crazy seasons ever. Culminating in the Tebow to DT play in the WC game over PIT. I mean, pure madness.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

    Comment


    • #3
      2011. Beating the Steelers in the Wildcard was great.

      Comment


      • #4
        Depends how you define it, plus we could finish 9-7 this season

        2011 was a fun season, but we were miles from being a SB contender and had no QB

        2016 faced the #1 schedule in the league rather then the weak one in 2011 and we are not far from being a SB contender again next season, just need some tinkering on offense and mainly the OL

        Comment


        • #5
          2011. We were in every game with Tebow. We started slow and finished strong that season. This season we started 4-0 and finished with possibly 4 straight loses. There was excitement in 2011. We knew what we were. There is absolutely no excitement this year. There is just frustration.
          Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
            Depends how you define it, plus we could finish 9-7 this season

            2011 was a fun season, but we were miles from being a SB contender and had no QB

            2016 faced the #1 schedule in the league rather then the weak one in 2011 and we are not far from being a SB contender again next season, just need some tinkering on offense and mainly the OL
            As soon as DEN gets a satisfactory OL, they'll be SB contenders again
            "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
              2011. We were in every game with Tebow. We started slow and finished strong that season. This season we started 4-0 and finished with possibly 4 straight loses. There was excitement in 2011. We knew what we were. There is absolutely no excitement this year. There is just frustration.
              Expectations were much lower that year...... whether thats a good thing or not is another question

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                As soon as DEN gets a satisfactory OL, they'll be SB contenders again
                Yep. I think we have some good, but young and rough, pieces on offense. The OL needs investment and we need to find a slot receiver to work the seams

                Comment


                • #9
                  We just need someone to catch the ball.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DavisMVP View Post
                    We just need someone to catch the ball.
                    Sanders, DT, Sunshine, Derby, and Heuerman can all catch
                    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
                      2011. We were in every game with Tebow. We started slow and finished strong that season. This season we started 4-0 and finished with possibly 4 straight loses. There was excitement in 2011. We knew what we were. There is absolutely no excitement this year. There is just frustration.
                      Kind of. Except when teams would just force him to pass. Once teams started making him beat them with his arm (with the two exceptions being v Minnesota and v Pittsburgh) he just wasn't able to do it.

                      2011 was better because Denver made the playoffs and won a game. 2016 might be better as far as draft position goes. But ultimately both years end with no championship, so they're very much the same.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Going 8-8 in 2011 was a massive over-achievement, exciting and brought life back to the franchise after the McDaniels debacle. Not to mention a return to the playoffs, including an improbable OT win.

                        This season has just been deflating.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                          Kind of. Except when teams would just force him to pass. Once teams started making him beat them with his arm (with the two exceptions being v Minnesota and v Pittsburgh) he just wasn't able to do it.

                          2011 was better because Denver made the playoffs and won a game. 2016 might be better as far as draft position goes. But ultimately both years end with no championship, so they're very much the same.
                          Except as usual the key to this argument is that Tebow was a lesser QB than Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, and ignores that all except one loss suffered were games where the team gave up at least 33 points, ignoring that we had the worst team in football before he took over in 2011, ignoring that ex. Andrew Luck has even worse stats against the Patriots, that a Carr who is now in MVP contention started 3-13 after starting his career 0-10 on a team that the year before had identical record to the 2010 Broncos...

                          2011 was a much better year as we were a team on meteoric rise, with a very young nucleus of young players playing flawed but dominant football. I cannot come up with a single QB ever that has orchestrated such a turnaround, and has changed a culture of a club as much and then not ever starting a game again, so it is pretty ludicrous to claim what he could or could not learn with an offseason and the support of the team. This especially for a player that was known for 4th quarter comebacks and massively improved performance late in games. If he was evaluated on training and single quarter performances then he would have been benched for Orton several times in 2011.

                          We seem to have solid building blocks around Siemian but lets not forget that we now have an elite defense - not the 24th ranked one. Tebow was much more exciting because he broke the mould, and was very dominant in some aspects. We tripled the win rates with him because of what he brought over Orton, and with all his fixable flaws we still managed to win.

                          I love Siemian's composure and think he looks good, but the feeling with Tebow was the same as with Elway that no effort/no pain was to great in order to gain the win, and if you were going to go down it was in flames. I miss the toughness, and the feeling that if his glaring accuracy problems on short passes was dealt with we could have a QB that would be special for years to come.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Heck, even in the event we finish this year at 9-7, I'll still have preferred 2011. It was a big year for me personally too, so I kind of remember that year fondly anyways. But aside from greatly exceeding expectations after the worst season in Broncos history in 2010, we got to witness an improbable playoff run that included a playoff victory on one of the most exciting and remembered plays in NFL history. We witnessed the emergence of a superstar in Von Miller, who had an all pro season his rookie year, and won DROY. And Chris Harris proved to be a future diamond in the rough.

                            This year, the team is far better than the one in 2011, but even if we didn't expect another super bowl run, most of us were at least expecting to make the playoffs, especially after a good start to the season.

                            I prefer starting 1-4 and making a playoff run over getting my hopes up at 4-1, only to see them dashed in a pitiful finish to the season.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                              Expectations were much lower that year...... whether thats a good thing or not is another question
                              That's what makes 2011 better IMO. We didn't expect much, especially after Tebow was inserted. But Tebow went in and rejuvenated a dejected fan base with heart racing wins and energy.
                              Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X