No announcement yet.

A good argument for Siemian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think some of you are trying way too hard to justify Siemian being the starter next year. He will get his shot as the roster looks now. If he earns it so be it. If not, let the "late round QB" dream fade away.

Siemian earned the playing time this year by being the best available QB.He had his moments and even games that he played well. At times much better then I expected. He is a likable and tough kid. He took some beatings and still kept coming. Respect to him for doing so. Unless Elway makes a dramatic move for a vet I fully expect he and Lynch to have a competitive training camp.

Siemian had a good year under difficult circumstances. But despite the excuses he has some major flaws in his decision making, accuracy and red zone efficiency. Broncos did not score points. They had way too many 3 and outs. He missed a lot of opportunities to gain first downs. His early game success was bad. Much of his stats were gained after halftime when the Broncos were already down by 2 scores.

IMO the excuses of he didn't have enough help is a league wide one. Average QBs can look good when they have solid o-lines or run games. Even below average QBs can have good games with help. With new coaching and a revamped offense he might even earn the job and be more successful. But I think many QBs could have similar success if given the opportunity.

I respect that some think he deserves all of the justifications and opinions of his capabilities. Siemian will get his chance to compete, I honestly wish him well. but IMO he will level off to the QB we have seen and the Broncos will have another starter next year.. I am hoping that Lynch earns the job. But it could just as easily be a free agent that eventually wins the job.

Comment

I'm going to say something I think is going to be unpopular, but should we have pursued Kaepernick more aggressively? Trevor Siemian is fantastic for the price, but looking at SF you can see Kaepernick put up 16TD's to 4 INT's, and that's playing with at least a bottom 3, if not the worst, O-line in the league. He's also played only 11 games but maintained a 90.7 QBR rating. The receivers on those teams aren't even close in talent to the Broncos 2 Pro-Bowl WR's, yet by all accounts Kaepernick has made the offense look better. I get if he was here several players may not have been signed, and for the price you pay to acquire him may not be the better deal compared to Siemian. But you gotta wonder how this team would look if he was playing behind center. His ability to extend plays and read defenses may have won us at least one more game, getting us into playoff territory. Just a thought
      Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
        I'm going to say something I think is going to be unpopular, but should we have pursued Kaepernick more aggressively? Trevor Siemian is fantastic for the price, but looking at SF you can see Kaepernick put up 16TD's to 4 INT's, and that's playing with at least a bottom 3, if not the worst, O-line in the league. He's also played only 11 games but maintained a 90.7 QBR rating. The receivers on those teams aren't even close in talent to the Broncos 2 Pro-Bowl WR's, yet by all accounts Kaepernick has made the offense look better. I get if he was here several players may not have been signed, and for the price you pay to acquire him may not be the better deal compared to Siemian. But you gotta wonder how this team would look if he was playing behind center. His ability to extend plays and read defenses may have won us at least one more game, getting us into playoff territory. Just a thought
        Between the two Kaep may be better, though I suspect it might be the experience pushing him over the top - just an opinion. As far as Kaep reading defenses. Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
          Between the two Kaep may be better, though I suspect it might be the experience pushing him over the top - just an opinion. As far as Kaep reading defenses. Nope.
          ah. I would have thought his 4:1 TD:INT ratio and doing that behind a poor O line would have supported the fact he could read defenses? I didn't watch all the 49ers games this year closely though
          Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
            Isn't Trent balke on staff now? New gm new coach might gut the roster I wouldn't be surprised if we got kap in the off season.

Comment

Imo TS did better then I thought he would with this atrocious offensive line . He was basically a rookie .

Comment

Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
                Imo TS did better then I thought he would with this atrocious offensive line . He was basically a rookie .
                I agree with you. Siemian surpassed my expectations too. But I am going to quibble a bit on the rookie issue.

He was not a rookie. Inexperienced. No actual game time. But not a rookie. He had an entire year of coaching, film study, workouts, practice reps (even if with the practice squad) and familiarity and routine with the organization and staff. That familiarity and Kubiak's trust he would safely run the system is what earned him the starters role over Sanchez and Lynch.

We discuss the importance of that leap from rookie to 2nd year player all the time. In fairness, Siemian had a year to adjust and develop. It worked for him.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
                  Isn't Trent balke on staff now? New gm new coach might gut the roster I wouldn't be surprised if we got kap in the off season.
                  I haven't heard that the Broncos hired him. I have seen the stories but Elway is the GM and if Balke was hired it would more than likely be in the scouting department if anything.
                  sigpic
                  Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                  2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                  2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Trevor imo seems like he'll become the team leader by next season. NFL released a video of him mic'd up during the last Raiders game, definitely shows promise for him:

Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                      I agree with you. Siemian surpassed my expectations too. But I am going to quibble a bit on the rookie issue.

He was not a rookie. Inexperienced. No actual game time. But not a rookie. He had an entire year of coaching, film study, workouts, practice reps (even if with the practice squad) and familiarity and routine with the organization and staff. That familiarity and Kubiak's trust he would safely run the system is what earned him the starters role over Sanchez and Lynch.

We discuss the importance of that leap from rookie to 2nd year player all the time. In fairness, Siemian had a year to adjust and develop. It worked for him.
                      That's a valid point . So with all the hype of Lynch having a high ceiling he should be able to overtake the job from TS having a year in our system . If Lynch can't do that by start of next season will that be a sign of TS being better then everyone thinks or Lynch being overvalued by the scouts ? I don't watch college ball so I don't know about the players that get drafted , however I'm a sucker for non or high round drafts to make it . Kind of a underdog thing I guess . I hold no preference over TS or Lynch.

Comment

Trevor Siemian: Sound FX

Comment

That kid can take a beating.

Comment

He's so calm and so in control.

I think it'd go a long way sparking his teammates if he got a little up once in while. I feel like Siemian has the same reaction to a TD as he does a successful root canal.
                            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Here's a nice recap of Trevor's season. Music is quite tacky. He made plenty of mistakes too. I don't buy that he's only capable of throwing check downs. No doubt he has areas to improve and not sure if he'll continue as a starter for the Broncos. He has the talent and it will depend on how hard he works and improves.

Comment

Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
                                I hear you and understand to an extent, but no disrespect to Elway, how in the world do turn a SB defending team over to this guy, knowing your offensive line is sub par. What's done is done and the season is over, but so many people want Siemian in the future because he did better than they thought he would. We don't have time to hope he develops. IMO we needs someone who can get things done or at least roll the dice on someone with the potential to be threatening and that guy doesn't appear to be TS.

Comment

Working...
                                X