Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haciendadad
    replied
    I think Paxton gets bonus points because of his size, height and mobility but I think he lacks the mental talent to really help himself rise to the top.

Leave a comment:

• Brakshow
    replied
    Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    In camp Mark S. and Trevor split most of the reps with the 1s. Preseason games had Mark and Trevor splitting time in the first half and 3rd quarter. Paxton got limited reps with the 1s and some late game preseason action.

If the Broncos don't bring in a starting caliber QB then Paxton's reps with the 1s and preseason snaps should increase significantly.

We could see good progress assuming Paxton applies the coaching.
    Yep! I hope to see huge improvement from him. He'll definitely get a more even shot at it this year.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    In camp Mark S. and Trevor split most of the reps with the 1s. Preseason games had Mark and Trevor splitting time in the first half and 3rd quarter. Paxton got limited reps with the 1s and some late game preseason action.

If the Broncos don't bring in a starting caliber QB then Paxton's reps with the 1s and preseason snaps should increase significantly.

We could see good progress assuming Paxton applies the coaching.

Leave a comment:

• Brakshow
    replied
    Originally posted by kingelway7 View Post
    Here is perhaps the most honest video of Paxton Lynch out there. Its not one of the highlight reel stuff that shows you just his strengths; this shows both his stengths and weaknesses.

This video is from Memphis Vs #13 Ole Miss during Lynch's senior year. It was Lynch's toughest and highest ranking opponent of his senior year and 3rd highest ranked opponent during his entire time in college. Ole Miss had just beaten #1 Alabama a couple weeks before. Ole Miss was Alabama's only loss of the year.

Against Ole Miss, Paxton Lynch was 39/53 passing for 384 yards, 3 TD, and 1 INT. The INT was on a perfect pass that hit a receiver right in the hands and bounced up in the air. The INT is at the 3:05 mark of the video.

Tebow had a lot of games like this in his college career (many more actually), but that obviously was not an honest look at what he could do in the NFL.

An honest look would be to see videos from their practices showing how he fairs against our own defense. College is pretty irrelevant.

Leave a comment:

• FL BRONCO
    replied
    It has to be pretty hard for any young qb to come in and try to perform well and make the necessary adjustments and come up to speed, now trying to do it behind a line like ours this year has to add a whole new dimension to it. The word horror comes to my mind.

Leave a comment:

• listopencil
    replied
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Society (and this message board) demands everything now. Every player that isn't a pro bowl player in their first year is a bust and every player that looks decent in their first year was the biggest gem of the draft and everyone completely whiffed not picking him in the first round.

The truth is almost every player coming in will need development time, some more than others. Lynch is one of those players (and people on this board have already called him a bust) but if he puts in the work, and gets the muscle memory down, it'll happen. Of course a bunch of people already want to move on.
    Yeah. I don't understand that. I think we're actually in a pretty good position with our QB's going into next year. I want both of them to improve and I think they will.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    Originally posted by listopencil View Post
    I think we will see a better Paxton Lynch next year. There is nothing about him that I've seen that says anything other than hard worker. But, yeah, it's the footwork. And, yeah, he needs to be coached. And, also, he was a rookie with barely any playing time so we shouldn't have expected him to come in and light the world on fire. I didn't expect that honestly and I was surprised that some people on the board wanted to stick him in there. If that was the expectation than he wouldn't have been available to us where he was drafted.
    Society (and this message board) demands everything now. Every player that isn't a pro bowl player in their first year is a bust and every player that looks decent in their first year was the biggest gem of the draft and everyone completely whiffed not picking him in the first round.

The truth is almost every player coming in will need development time, some more than others. Lynch is one of those players (and people on this board have already called him a bust) but if he puts in the work, and gets the muscle memory down, it'll happen. Of course a bunch of people already want to move on.

Leave a comment:

• listopencil
    replied
    We haven't seen him much this season, and often when under pressure players have a tendency to go back to their old ways. That's why you have to keep coaching them and working with them. It's about reps. And the coach being able to correct after every single rep, that will happen during OTAs and training camp. It's not as easy during a regular season practice, he'd be running the scout team and everything is scripted and about the defense. A coach can try and talk to him, but wouldn't have much time because the scout coach would be showing the next play and once the defense is ready to go, you go.

Everything starts with footwork and your lower body, if you're not using them correctly the chances of the other things going well diminish. If he works with a private QB coach working on drops, setting feet, stepping through throws, he'll get better for April and then the coaches will be hammering that from April through until September.

If he's a worker, you'll see a much more fundamentally sound QB next season.
    I think we will see a better Paxton Lynch next year. There is nothing about him that I've seen that says anything other than hard worker. But, yeah, it's the footwork. And, yeah, he needs to be coached. And, also, he was a rookie with barely any playing time so we shouldn't have expected him to come in and light the world on fire. I didn't expect that honestly and I was surprised that some people on the board wanted to stick him in there. If that was the expectation than he wouldn't have been available to us where he was drafted.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    Originally posted by listopencil View Post
    He doesn't look substantially better now than he did in that video. I'm seeing a lot of the same pros and cons. Maybe it was too much to try to develop Siemian and Lynch simultaneously. I don't know. But I still believe the kid can be really good. No reason to think that he isn't going to improve with a full off season, We do need a quality QB coach in here though.
    We haven't seen him much this season, and often when under pressure players have a tendency to go back to their old ways. That's why you have to keep coaching them and working with them. It's about reps. And the coach being able to correct after every single rep, that will happen during OTAs and training camp. It's not as easy during a regular season practice, he'd be running the scout team and everything is scripted and about the defense. A coach can try and talk to him, but wouldn't have much time because the scout coach would be showing the next play and once the defense is ready to go, you go.

Everything starts with footwork and your lower body, if you're not using them correctly the chances of the other things going well diminish. If he works with a private QB coach working on drops, setting feet, stepping through throws, he'll get better for April and then the coaches will be hammering that from April through until September.

If he's a worker, you'll see a much more fundamentally sound QB next season.

Leave a comment:

• listopencil
    replied

If Lynch is the same QB now as he was during this video, we've got massive problems with our coaching staff.

He doesn't look substantially better now than he did in that video. I'm seeing a lot of the same pros and cons. Maybe it was too much to try to develop Siemian and Lynch simultaneously. I don't know. But I still believe the kid can be really good. No reason to think that he isn't going to improve with a full off season, We do need a quality QB coach in here though.

Leave a comment:

• shawinkerpoppin
    replied
    Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
    Oh really? How many games did the rookie Osweiler start? In fact, how many games did osweiler start in his first 3 seasons while playing under John Fox? And why did osweiler get to start a game, at all, last season?

Lynch got his chances this season after the guy that beat him out in TC, went down with an injury. Similar to what gave osweiler his chance, last season. And Lynch was terrible, and 2nd Round "potential franchise QB" osweiler is a "bust". Maybe Lynch will get better. But, it won't be because of who is the head coach. It's all on Lynch.

What was your point? Because Brock sat behind Peyton. Never once did we have a meaningless game where we were knocked out of the playoffs during that stretch. He got same snaps in garbage time and got snaps when Peyton was injured.

Leave a comment:

• gtown53
    replied
    Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    The lack of interest kubiak had in playing lynch made me wonder if he was even working with him to be the potential franchise QB or treated his situation as another backup.
    Oh really? How many games did the rookie Osweiler start? In fact, how many games did osweiler start in his first 3 seasons while playing under John Fox? And why did osweiler get to start a game, at all, last season?

Lynch got his chances this season after the guy that beat him out in TC, went down with an injury. Similar to what gave osweiler his chance, last season. And Lynch was terrible, and 2nd Round "potential franchise QB" osweiler is a "bust". Maybe Lynch will get better. But, it won't be because of who is the head coach. It's all on Lynch.

Leave a comment:

• XterraRob
    replied
    Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    The lack of interest kubiak had in playing lynch made me wonder if he was even working with him to be the potential franchise QB or treated his situation as another backup.
    I think Kubiak really felt Trevor has bright potential and proved himself enough this season to finish out the game.

Leave a comment:

• shawinkerpoppin
    replied
    I don't think that video is valid. It was at this time last year, but Lynch has had a full year of coaching and learning from NFL coaches, working on his weaknesses, trying to improve his strengths and changing how he does a lot of things.

If Lynch is the same QB now as he was during this video, we've got massive problems with our coaching staff.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by kingelway7 View Post
    No surprise here. Draft scouting reports state that footwork was one of his big issues and its clear to see when watching him play.

When rolling out and needing to throw on the run, Lynch can throw some dimes (see 8:46 in video). Its other times thats the issue. When Lynch uses proper footwork and sets his feet, his accuracy, while not always perfect, does greatly improve (see 5:39 in video as well as 6:56 which is a thing of beauty).
    Certainly helped him with those throws.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X