No announcement yet.

Perhaps The Most Honest Look At Paxton Lynch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Paxton gets bonus points because of his size, height and mobility but I think he lacks the mental talent to really help himself rise to the top.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

If you want to compare apples to apples, lets compare Paxton's next year to Siemian's year. But for now, there is no way Paxton could have done better then Siemian, no way! That is ok, because he could still be fine or very good, not everybody learns at the same pace and the more time he gets will only help him. The worse thing you could do is force him to play before he is ready, it will kill his confidence and because we have Siemian that was able to play well against some very good teams (SB Defender schedule) there was no reason to force Paxton out there.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

What I have not seen posted here yet is that it was made perfectly clear that Lynch was put on field with a much more limited playbook and iirc he was not given the same ability to audible from a run to a pass play..like Trevor was.

This means that for the most part everytime a Trevor lined up he had two major advantages and Lynch simply just had to roll with it. So it is no wonder why Trevor looked better and had better and more sucess overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
          What I have not seen posted here yet is that it was made perfectly clear that Lynch was put on field with a much more limited playbook and iirc he was not given the same ability to audible from a run to a pass play..like Trevor was.

This means that for the most part everytime a Trevor lined up he had two major advantages and Lynch simply just had to roll with it. So it is no wonder why Trevor looked better and had better and more sucess overall.
          To reuse an analogy I used earlier today, Lynch went from reading and interpreting See Spot Run to reading and interpreting A Tale of Two Cities.

The difference between his college playbook and an NFL playbook is massive. Now that he's learned an NFL playbook and knows the details involved, it should be easier for him to learn a second one, if need be.

Comment

I saw Lynch up close in Jacksonville and of course the other game. I don't see it. Could I be wrong? Absolutely, I am just a fan, but me personally? I would trade him while his value is still pretty high. Just my two cents.

There is something just not quite right about his decision making...I don't know. Inaccurate frequently as well. He reminds me of Kyle Boller.
            Bronco Fan from DC (previously Baltimore)

Comment

Originally posted by dshawg1 View Post
              I saw Lynch up close in Jacksonville and of course the other game. I don't see it. Could I be wrong? Absolutely, I am just a fan, but me personally? I would trade him while his value is still pretty high. Just my two cents.

There is something just not quite right about his decision making...I don't know. Inaccurate frequently as well. He reminds me of Kyle Boller.
              Judging a player based on 2.5 games would be ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                I don't think that video is valid. It was at this time last year, but Lynch has had a full year of coaching and learning from NFL coaches, working on his weaknesses, trying to improve his strengths and changing how he does a lot of things.

If Lynch is the same QB now as he was during this video, we've got massive problems with our coaching staff.
                The staff previous wouldn't start Lynch against Tennessee because they said he didnt know what he was doing. (paraphrasing)

I think there was a shot at development in minicamps and TC, but once the season started, and especially after his first start, the Broncos became laser focused on trying to win. I think this might have hindered him a little bit. Hopefully he spends the offseason on his footwork, taking snaps under center, etc. Hell, who knows, maybe we wont even go back to an offense like that. Maybe we hire Mike McCoy and start running the chuck and duck.
                sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                  The staff previous wouldn't start Lynch against Tennessee because they said he didnt know what he was doing. (paraphrasing)

I think there was a shot at development in minicamps and TC, but once the season started, and especially after his first start, the Broncos became laser focused on trying to win. I think this might have hindered him a little bit. Hopefully he spends the offseason on his footwork, taking snaps under center, etc. Hell, who knows, maybe we wont even go back to an offense like that. Maybe we hire Mike McCoy and start running the chuck and duck.
                  In another thread the name Greg Roman came up, I've now become fully onboard with him being the OC. He would be awesome.

Here's a link to his run schemes, he uses everything, angle blocks, zone, pin and pull sweeps. If it's a run play he will use it, and effectively.

http://buildingtheherd.com/film-room...-22-breakdown/

EDIT: Here are his pass concepts. West Coast offense, easy reads, tailored to his QBs.

Comment

In another thread the name Greg Roman came up, I've now become fully onboard with him being the OC. He would be awesome.

Here's a link to his run schemes, he uses everything, angle blocks, zone, pin and pull sweeps. If it's a run play he will use it, and effectively.

EDIT: Here are his pass concepts. West Coast offense, easy reads, tailored to his QBs.

Yup, Greg Roman was very instrumental in cutting the field into quarters for Kaepernick when he got drafted. Looking at the concepts, they look exactly like the SF 49ers in 2013.

Could be beneficial, could be detrimental, for a young guy like Paxton, Greg Roman. A lot of it is on Paxton.
                    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by dshawg1 View Post

Judging a player based on 2.5 games would be ridiculous.
                      While it is rough to judge a player after 2½ games as a rookie, those games have also not given any indication that Paxton would be anywhere as good at Trevor. While the teams and situations are nowhere comparable Tebow at this time in his career - rookie with 3 starts - had restored hope with three performances that were among the best QB performances we had seen that year and restored hope for the future with two solid games and one exceptional one.

Paxton has shown poor accuracy, poor reads but some solid skills rolling out. Much like Osweiler last year but not as good. Compared to that Trevor has been very solid and is on top of the game. He is less physically gifted but lets face it the least physically gifted QB we have had since Elway/Kubes joined in 1983 was Peyton Manning and that went pretty well.

The Paxton love is misplaced until he comes out and takes the job if he is able to, but I have more faith in Trevor right now and so does the Broncos.

Comment

When we drafted him I said why? Most of the reputable scouting services said he very inaccurate on medium and deep routes. They said he was a 2 to 3 years project. From the little that I've seen of him they weren't wrong in their assessments. Sometimes he looks pretty good, sometimes he looks like he couldn't hit the floor if tripped over the cat. Streaky like Jeff George.

Comment

Originally posted by olgrouch View Post
                          When we drafted him I said why? Most of the reputable scouting services said he very inaccurate on medium and deep routes. They said he was a 2 to 3 years project. From the little that I've seen of him they weren't wrong in their assessments. Sometimes he looks pretty good, sometimes he looks like he couldn't hit the floor if tripped over the cat. Streaky like Jeff George.
                          I had never actually looked at his scouting reports, so I decided to have a look:

This one says pretty much what you say, except they say one year rather than 3.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...nch?id=2555316

This one is similar, but doesn't give a time line

https://www.profootballfocus.com/dra...ch-qb-memphis/

Here's another one from Mile High Report

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3...is-quarterback

It's interesting to go back and read them. It actually reassures me a little bit, all of the things he struggled with in his first year are things they talk about in scouting reports. The missed throws off of the boot in Jacksonville...they talk about how he doesn't trust himself on those throws and doesn't cut it loose.

To me it means he is what they thought he was, there aren't any other flaws. BUT now they've got to get more definitive on correcting these things. It's a big offseason for him. If he comes out in training camp and struggles with all of these same things, then there could be some serious questions. But if he can start to fix these things, there's a lot there to like.

Comment

Society (and this message board) demands everything now. Every player that isn't a pro bowl player in their first year is a bust and every player that looks decent in their first year was the biggest gem of the draft and everyone completely whiffed not picking him in the first round.

The truth is almost every player coming in will need development time, some more than others. Lynch is one of those players (and people on this board have already called him a bust) but if he puts in the work, and gets the muscle memory down, it'll happen. Of course a bunch of people already want to move on.

Agree totally with this comment.Not to mention especially in Lynch's case when we drafted him,all the experts were saying it would take a year for Lynch to learn the Pro style offense.

Comment

I had never actually looked at his scouting reports, so I decided to have a look:

This one says pretty much what you say, except they say one year rather than 3.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...nch?id=2555316

This one is similar, but doesn't give a time line

https://www.profootballfocus.com/dra...ch-qb-memphis/

Here's another one from Mile High Report

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3...is-quarterback

It's interesting to go back and read them. It actually reassures me a little bit, all of the things he struggled with in his first year are things they talk about in scouting reports. The missed throws off of the boot in Jacksonville...they talk about how he doesn't trust himself on those throws and doesn't cut it loose.

To me it means he is what they thought he was, there aren't any other flaws. BUT now they've got to get more definitive on correcting these things. It's a big offseason for him. If he comes out in training camp and struggles with all of these same things, then there could be some serious questions. But if he can start to fix these things, there's a lot there to like.
                              Totally Right! There are many positives about the young man. His size his arm strength and short range accuracy and his running ability for some one his size. He needs to get to work on his accuracy on the longer throws though. I'm disappointed that he hasn't done this himself, or doesn't appear to have done so. What he needs is a good quarterback coach to work with him.

Comment

Originally posted by olgrouch View Post
                                Totally Right! There are many positives about the young man. His size his arm strength and short range accuracy and his running ability for some one his size. He needs to get to work on his accuracy on the longer throws though. I'm disappointed that he hasn't done this himself, or doesn't appear to have done so. What he needs is a good quarterback coach to work with him.
                                He needs someone dedicated to his development, not spending their time figuring out how to simultaneously have 3 people calling plays, etc.

I like Knapper, but he needs to be left alone to do what he does best, coach QBs.
                                sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Working...
                                X