I don't want our identity to change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
    One player that I've been thinking a little bit about is Andy Janovich.

What happens to him? Does Mike McCoy's offense really need to employ a fullback?

I know that Kyle Shanahan has already agreed in principle to be the new head coach of the San Francisco 49ers so with that said does Denver possibly trade Janovich to the 49ers? If they do, what do they get an exchange?
    They had a FB on the roster in SD. He played 143 snaps last season plus another 286 on ST.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      The defensive coaching staff is mostly intact. Run D needs improvement, but a lot of that was opponents running the ball because they didn't need to pass in order to come from behind. If the offense can stay on the field longer and score some more points, it plays to the strength of Denver's D which is pass defense. Teams that are forced to pass against Denver are in trouble. Run the ball, stop the run, optimum FP is the way to go.
      ^ 100%. This is why we need, in the worst way, a big nasty force right up the middle of the field who can cause pressure when passing plays occur and get into the backfield to force TFL during run up the gut plays. We have 3 really good pass-rushers on our team who can for the most part contain the edges and at least one DE (Wolfe) and perhaps a second (Gotsis) who did improve greatly as the year progressed. He (Gotsis) does seem more at home during run plays which make sense as it mimics the type of game he has played the longest - Aussie Rules.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
        They had a FB on the roster in SD. He played 143 snaps last season plus another 286 on ST.
        Yes I agree. To be honest though Janovich really showed great hands and the ability to run routes. I see him converting to that hybrid TE role which NE had Hernandez in. TE/FB/WR/H-Back that type of swiss army knife player which is difficult to take down on first contact.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
          ^ 100%. This is why we need, in the worst way, a big nasty force right up the middle of the field who can cause pressure when passing plays occur and get into the backfield to force TFL during run up the gut plays. We have 3 really good pass-rushers on our team who can for the most part contain the edges and at least one DE (Wolfe) and perhaps a second (Gotsis) who did improve greatly as the year progressed. He (Gotsis) does seem more at home during run plays which make sense as it mimics the type of game he has played the longest - Aussie Rules.
          How about signing Calais Campbell? I hope the Broncos will sign Vance Walker - not sure if there will be enough cap space to sign two defensive ends. I didn't get to watch many Arizona games this season however his production looks consistent - dropped off slightly with tackles/assists however tied for his second best season with 8 sacks and a safety. Would be nice to bring him home to Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
            Yes I agree. To be honest though Janovich really showed great hands and the ability to run routes. I see him converting to that hybrid TE role which NE had Hernandez in. TE/FB/WR/H-Back that type of swiss army knife player which is difficult to take down on first contact.
            I'm not sure I see that from Janovich. He's 6'1", 225 lbs whereas the average TE in the NFL is 6'3", 240 lbs. Though his smaller height does not put him at an automatic disadvantage in a blocking role on the line, his weight puts him at a clear disadvantage up against DEs - he'd had to seriously bulk up. Delaine Walker of the Titans is 5'12" () but is 248 lbs.

He's a prototypical FB, one who can block, catch out of the backfield, and take a handoff from time to time and can also contribute to special teams.

If we need a TE we should look to get a true tight end, one who can line up tight on the line to block as well as one who can reliably catch passes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
              One player that I've been thinking a little bit about is Andy Janovich.

What happens to him? Does Mike McCoy's offense really need to employ a fullback?

I know that Kyle Shanahan has already agreed in principle to be the new head coach of the San Francisco 49ers so with that said does Denver possibly trade Janovich to the 49ers? If they do, what do they get an exchange?
              Chargers and Raiders have a Fullback which means they used I Formations. If McCoy intends to use I Formations, he needs to line someone up at the FB/20 Back spot. Blocking from FB depth, Wingback/H-Back depth and from LOS are different, so if I Formations are to be used fairly often, a Fullback is more effective than a TE/H-Back. When Andy Janovich was healthy, he was effective. I doubt if he's going anywhere, and I expect to see him in TC. Denver might even sign an UDFA FB, too.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

McCoy did not use a FB in Denver because of the Manning offense. Even Fox gave in to what Manning liked to do. McCoy has used FBs before and I suspect we keep Andy.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elway View Post
                  Having a fullback helped when he was healthy. Elway knows we need to improve on the offensive line to get better, and we need run stoppers.
                  The challenge is not letter the Pass defense slip. Offensive line and run game can really only go up. Dont want us going up 15 places in run D and dropping 12 in Pass D.
                  This is where people get too hung up on rankings. There is so much more than just where you're ranked. Stopping the run is going to be very important, if we can be better at stopping the run, and the offense can actually build a lead about 50% of the time (what they did in 2015), teams will be forced to pass more which will play into the defensive strength.

Consider how many third and shorts were converted because we couldn't stop the run, how many of the long drives wouldn't have happened if a third and short wasn't converted early in the drive. How may more chances would that have given the struggling offense to try and get some points.

The run defense has to be fixed, and even in the likely scenario that means giving up more yards through the air.

Comment

We just hired Darius Rucker of Hootie and the Blowfish to be our assistant DB coach;

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...b-b77163a7eee4
                    Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                      I'm not sure I see that from Janovich. He's 6'1", 225 lbs whereas the average TE in the NFL is 6'3", 240 lbs. Though his smaller height does not put him at an automatic disadvantage in a blocking role on the line, his weight puts him at a clear disadvantage up against DEs - he'd had to seriously bulk up. Delaine Walker of the Titans is 5'12" () but is 248 lbs.

He's a prototypical FB, one who can block, catch out of the backfield, and take a handoff from time to time and can also contribute to special teams.

If we need a TE we should look to get a true tight end, one who can line up tight on the line to block as well as one who can reliably catch passes.
                      It has been way too long since we've had that, maybe this is the year...
                      [sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
                        It has been way too long since we've had that, maybe this is the year...
                        Wasn't Green supposed to be that?
                        Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
                          Wasn't Green supposed to be that?
                          I doubt Green even makes the roster this year.

Comment

To late, it's going to change.. Just check out what he had to say about his Defensive phylosophy when he took over at Miami last year... And as we know that defense kinda sucked...... "It can be conservative, it can be aggressive..." blah blah blah... UGH

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...24849-132.html

I don't want him calling a scheme to win the game, ala how he got destroyed by the Pats and a lot of other teams.. I want Wade's attack all day long and bend them to our will DEFENSE!

WHY DID ELWAY HIRE HIM!!!! :/

Comment

Originally posted by FloridianBronco View Post
                              To late, it's going to change.. Just check out what he had to say about his Defensive phylosophy when he took over at Miami last year... And as we know that defense kinda sucked...... "It can be conservative, it can be aggressive..." blah blah blah... UGH

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...24849-132.html

I don't want him calling a scheme to win the game, ala how he got destroyed by the Pats and a lot of other teams.. I want Wade's attack all day long and bend them to our will DEFENSE!

WHY DID ELWAY HIRE HIM!!!! :/
                              Wade Phillips didn't call Cover 1/0 Dog/Blitz 100% of the time. He played plenty of Zone and Combo and Cover 8.
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I do have a thing for understanding what your identity is, and continuing to build your team with that model in mind. So I respect and appreciate how anyone would want us to strive to be an elite Defensive team. And with that in mind, I am expecting some quality choices this offseason, even beyond the draft. For me, certain positions take time to master, therefore I am cool with us obtaining a solid Dliner in Free Agency. For example, DTs do not normally excel for several years, so the draft is not my preferred route in that position. But sure, I am good with a rookie ILB, or highly ranked DBack.

But as we all know, our identity on O is not quite established, and clearly, that is where we have to improve. And no doubt, with an upgrade in our Oline, and some dependable QBing, I think our identity on that side of the ball will become more recognizable. Right now it seems lost in the smoke a little.....we just need some improvements to provide clarity.

Comment

Working...
                                X