I don't want our identity to change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't want our identity to change

I really want to improve on offense, but at the same time I know our defense is still missing a couple pieces to be back to elite. I'm afraid if we build a powerful offense our defense will slowly slide out of the top 10.

I love having the identity has the toughest/hardest hitting defense. I went to 3 away games this year and I loved hearing opposing fans say "damn I hope none of our guys get hurt today they hit so hard" "I wish our defense played like that" "wow those guys swarm the ball" "I fear this team"

I had the biggest smile on my face during these comments.

This is why I think it's smarter to build the offense/o line in free agency and continue to draft defense.

Elway said that defense will always be a priority.

Comment

D-Line will get some attention. Denver will probably re-sign Vance Walker and sign an UFA D-Lineman. They will probably draft a D-Lineman, an Inside backer and maybe a Corner. Denver may have ten draft picks, maybe seven of the in the first hundred forty. They may be split evenly between O and D.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I do trust elway, but we only have so much to spend and so many draft picks. At the end of the day our offense truly has a lot of holes. I'm not saying our defense slides to bottom of the barrel but with as much work as our offense needs, it's not realistic to continue being the number 1 defense if we have to concentrate on fixing the offense.

Comment

Originally posted by NVthosebroncos View Post
          I do trust elway, but we only have so much to spend and so many draft picks. At the end of the day our offense truly has a lot of holes. I'm not saying our defense slides to bottom of the barrel but with as much work as our offense needs, it's not realistic to continue being the number 1 defense if we have to concentrate on fixing the offense.
          The defensive coaching staff is mostly intact. Run D needs improvement, but a lot of that was opponents running the ball because they didn't need to pass in order to come from behind. If the offense can stay on the field longer and score some more points, it plays to the strength of Denver's D which is pass defense. Teams that are forced to pass against Denver are in trouble. Run the ball, stop the run, optimum FP is the way to go.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Elway made an interesting comment about defense several years ago and how important it was to keeping fans in the game and having a dominant HFA. We obviously saw that last year. I'm confident Elway will address the weaknesses in the dline and LB, and it wouldn't surprise me if some of our top picks go that direction. At the same time, it's obvious the offense has to improve. The defense last season was certainly good enough to have competed in the playoffs if the offense held up its end. If you hold teams like NE* to 16 at home or Tenn to 13 on the road, you should win those games. We'll see a mix of picks and FA's on both sides, but nothing in Elway's approach suggests he will ignore the defense.

Comment

Originally posted by NVthosebroncos View Post
              If you trust Elway then trust when he said, "We will not deplete our strengths to to bolster up our weaknesses." He said that at the press conference when he introduced our new HC.
              Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Agree with the OP's sentiment and echo what Bterres105 said - Elway made it a point recently that the defense will be a priority. I would like to see the identity change. Maybe I'm asking too much - would like to see the defense allow the fewest points in 2017. I want to see the pass and run stopped like 2015. I would like to see the identity of the team include a powerful offense - one that starts fast and continues with consistency. I would like to see the Broncos make a shift to the Top 10 in scoring. Most of all would like to see the offensive line and running backs consistently pickup first downs on 3rd and short by dominating on the line.

The identity would be one that other teams and fans fear such as, "They have an elite defense and now they have a really good offense - we'll have to count this game as a loss."

Comment

The identity of the team has to change if the Broncos want to be perennial contenders.
                  My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                  You Mad Bro?
                  Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Almost every mock I see of the draft has the Broncos picking up more Defensive than Offensive players.

We're a QB and maybe 2 lineman away from being an elite offense, IMO. I think you draft a lineman or 2 in later rounds and try to pick up 2 lineman in FA. This year's FA pool of lineman should be decent, plus picking up another decent TE option for 3 TE sets should be good. I think Booker, Bibbs, and Anderson are a really solid backfield. Having Nasty Andy mixed in. Yea, we're going to be set.

Defense needs LB and Defensive line help. I would love to have a Keuchly/ILB type that is a household name in the NFL. Maybe use the first pick of the draft on a really dynamic LB and then a couple of OL and a TE.
                    Last edited by Joshua2585; 01-23-2017, 02:02 PM.

Comment

One player that I've been thinking a little bit about is Andy Janovich.

What happens to him? Does Mike McCoy's offense really need to employ a fullback?

I know that Kyle Shanahan has already agreed in principle to be the new head coach of the San Francisco 49ers so with that said does Denver possibly trade Janovich to the 49ers? If they do, what do they get an exchange?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                        One player that I've been thinking a little bit about is Andy Janovich.

What happens to him? Does Mike McCoy's offense really need to employ a fullback?

I know that Kyle Shanahan has already agreed in principle to be the new head coach of the San Francisco 49ers so with that said does Denver possibly trade Janovich to the 49ers? If they do, what do they get an exchange?
                        A 6th round FB who got hurt.... I highly doubt Janovich has any trade value.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                          A 6th round FB who got hurt.... I highly doubt Janovich has any trade value.
                          Doesn't mean they just let him walk. If McCoy can't use him they'll shop him for best offer.

Comment

I still identify us as the Super Bowl 50 champions.
                            sigpic

Comment

Having a fullback helped when he was healthy. Elway knows we need to improve on the offensive line to get better, and we need run stoppers.
                              The challenge is not letter the Pass defense slip. Offensive line and run game can really only go up. Dont want us going up 15 places in run D and dropping 12 in Pass D.
                              The Game Day Thread: Year 17 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X