Starting QB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Orangecrush21 View Post
    Anyone paying attention can see that the Broncos are pushing Lynch with the hope that he will be the starter. I'd say that, if he fails, he may start to be viewed as a bust
    Yup the Broncos want their first round pick that they traded up to be successful.
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Anyone paying attention can see that the Broncos are pushing Lynch with the hope that he will be the starter. I'd say that, if he fails, he may start to be viewed as a bust
      Agreed. Unfortunately for him, he needs to be successful enough to start this season. Can't see them in this competitive window waiting for him to develop.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
        Agreed. Unfortunately for him, he needs to be successful enough to start this season. Can't see them in this competitive window waiting for him to develop.
        What are the expectations of "successful enough"?

At best, Lynch is going to be an inexperienced 2nd year player that has the support of the coaching staff and system change. Still going to struggle at times. Still going to make mistakes. Still going to make the wrong play or read. Will likely have some flashes and great series too.

Very similar to the advantages and outcome of Siemian's year that we just witnessed.. Apparently he was "successful enough".

IMO Lynch's biggest improvement will be the commitment to getting him reps and playing time. An adjustment of the coaches putting him in a position to actively compete instead of as an afterthought behind the vet Sanchez or the competent safe Siemian. Also think the mental adjustment from college to Pros has a lot of heads spinning. Not just Lynch's. Siemian had a year to adjust his rookie year, now Lynch has had his.

Just a wildly biased speculation but I am thinking that we will see a huge improvement from Lynch.Doubt he takes the league over but development to be "successful enough" with the improved offense and coaching to support him.

Comment

So, if he fails. He will be a bust?

Comment

• Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
            So, if he fails. He will be a bust?
            I would hope not. I mean Aaron Rodgers didn't start at all his first 2 years in the league if memory serves me right. I am not, definitely, not calling Lynch the next Aaron Rodgers either. Dak Prescott was great even with a ton of help, but that is not the rule of almost any rookie QB or even 2nd year QB.

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
              What are the expectations of "successful enough"?

At best, Lynch is going to be an inexperienced 2nd year player that has the support of the coaching staff and system change. Still going to struggle at times. Still going to make mistakes. Still going to make the wrong play or read. Will likely have some flashes and great series too.

Very similar to the advantages and outcome of Siemian's year that we just witnessed.. Apparently he was "successful enough".

IMO Lynch's biggest improvement will be the commitment to getting him reps and playing time. An adjustment of the coaches putting him in a position to actively compete instead of as an afterthought behind the vet Sanchez or the competent safe Siemian. Also think the mental adjustment from college to Pros has a lot of heads spinning. Not just Lynch's. Siemian had a year to adjust his rookie year, now Lynch has had his.

Just a wildly biased speculation but I am thinking that we will see a huge improvement from Lynch.Doubt he takes the league over but development to be "successful enough" with the improved offense and coaching to support him.
              And if he's not the starter based on all of the added attention to his development, that would not be a success in my mind. It seems the league as a whole has moved away from developing 1st round QB's over 3-4 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post
                I would hope not. I mean Aaron Rodgers didn't start at all his first 2 years in the league if memory serves me right. I am not, definitely, not calling Lynch the next Aaron Rodgers either. Dak Prescott was great even with a ton of help, but that is not the rule of almost any rookie QB or even 2nd year QB.
                The only difference is Rodgers had at least 2 offseasons of Favre not showing up.

You cannot develop 2 QBs at the same time, especially given the differences in their playing style. It's just logistically impractical.
                sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                  The only difference is Rodgers had at least 2 offseasons of Favre not showing up.

You cannot develop 2 QBs at the same time, especially given the differences in their playing style. It's just logistically impractical.
                  All the moves this off season is for Lynch, you may not want to believe it, but it is. The biggest Tevor fan was Kubes. The fact that they came out and say there will be a QB comp, even when Trevor had look better last season just shows what the broncos want to do. Mike Mccoy is doing to design a system for Lynch and Trevor will have to beat Lynch in his system, you cant design a system for both QB. Also your wrong, in Rodger's 2nd year the Packers drafted a QB in the 2nd, that prove they had no hope for Rodgers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chronoless View Post
                    All the moves this off season is for Lynch, you may not want to believe it, but it is. The biggest Tevor fan was Kubes. The fact that they came out and say there will be a QB comp, even when Trevor had look better last season just shows what the broncos want to do. Mike Mccoy is doing to design a system for Lynch and Trevor will have to beat Lynch in his system, you cant design a system for both QB. Also your wrong, in Rodger's 2nd year the Packers drafted a QB in the 2nd, that prove they had no hope for Rodgers.
                    Even in a "dumbed down" systen, Siemian will beat out Lynch, easily. If there was a HUGE difference in their athletic ability, or if Lynch were anywhere near as "football smart" as Siemian, then it might be close. All is just my opinion. And I base it on the two starts we saw out of Lynch, this past season. The guy I saw is nowhere near ready to beat out "experience" and intellect. But IF Lynch responds, and a miracle occurs and Lynch takes a HUGE step forward, it will certainly be great for this Franchise. And I will be the first to admit that I was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                      Even in a "dumbed down" systen, Siemian will beat out Lynch, easily. If there was a HUGE difference in their athletic ability, or if Lynch were anywhere near as "football smart" as Siemian, then it might be close. All is just my opinion. And I base it on the two starts we saw out of Lynch, this past season. The guy I saw is nowhere near ready to beat out "experience" and intellect. But IF Lynch responds, and a miracle occurs and Lynch takes a HUGE step forward, it will certainly be great for this Franchise. And I will be the first to admit that I was wrong.
                      I think especially if it's a dumbed down system, Siemian will blow his doors off. Simplifying the offense is going to help both QBs but TS is still ahead with starts under his belt.

Do what I did this morning. Go back and watch Lynch in the Jacksonville game. I don't think QBs are supposed to cross their feet when they throw. And what the hell is up with that elongated motion? I went back and watched college highlights, then came back to that Jax game. It went from compact and quick to loopy and non-confident.

He's not ready.
                      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Perhaps that's why the Broncos essentially hired 2 QB coaches this year?

Comment

I think especially if it's a dumbed down system, Siemian will blow his doors off. Simplifying the offense is going to help both QBs but TS is still ahead with starts under his belt.

Do what I did this morning. Go back and watch Lynch in the Jacksonville game. I don't think QBs are supposed to cross their feet when they throw. And what the hell is up with that elongated motion? I went back and watched college highlights, then came back to that Jax game. It went from compact and quick to loopy and non-confident.

He's not ready.
                          He wasn't ready at that point, but players learn, players mature, players get better in the offseason. Thinking that he's not ready now because of what happened then is crazy.

The offense will be different but it won't be "dumbed down" as some claim, but say it's dumbed down and both grasp the offense the same, then the likelihood is that Lynch wins the competition and it's not even close, the reason being it will come down to natural ability and skills. The biggest advantages Siemian had on Lynch this year were that he had been in the league for a year and knew the system. Now Lynch will also have been in the league for a year and will understand the speed. With the offense changing, and assuming it's "dumbed down" where's Siemian's advantage?

If Lynch puts in the work this offseason he wins this competition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                            He wasn't ready at that point, but players learn, players mature, players get better in the offseason. Thinking that he's not ready now because of what happened then is crazy.

The offense will be different but it won't be "dumbed down" as some claim, but say it's dumbed down and both grasp the offense the same, then the likelihood is that Lynch wins the competition and it's not even close, the reason being it will come down to natural ability and skills. The biggest advantages Siemian had on Lynch this year were that he had been in the league for a year and knew the system. Now Lynch will also have been in the league for a year and will understand the speed. With the offense changing, and assuming it's "dumbed down" where's Siemian's advantage?

If Lynch puts in the work this offseason he wins this competition.
                            That completely ignores the most important difference between Siemian and Lynch. And that is on the field "experience". As to "natural ability and skills", I would suggest that Lynch's poor mechanics completely neutralizes any advantage he has over Siemian from an athletic point of view. And with Siemian being another year past his ACL surgery, I expect his natural athleticism to be more evident moving forward.

From what I'm hearing, the McCoy offense is likely to utilize the "up-tempo" style that requires QBs to have knowledge, experience, and be able to think on their feet by calling plays at the line of scrimmage. If McCoy and Musgrave can get Lynch up to speed doing those things, then we might see a competition. But, in my opinion, it's close to 95% certain that Lynch won't be able to step up. Just my opinion from watching the Broncos since becoming a Bronco fan in 1968, and my opinion only. Should be fun to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                              That completely ignores the most important difference between Siemian and Lynch. And that is on the field "experience". As to "natural ability and skills", I would suggest that Lynch's poor mechanics completely neutralizes any advantage he has over Siemian from an athletic point of view. And with Siemian being another year past his ACL surgery, I expect his natural athleticism to be more evident moving forward.

From what I'm hearing, the McCoy offense is likely to utilize the "up-tempo" style that requires QBs to have knowledge, experience, and be able to think on their feet by calling plays at the line of scrimmage. If McCoy and Musgrave can get Lynch up to speed doing those things, then we might see a competition. But, in my opinion, it's close to 95% certain that Lynch won't be able to step up. Just my opinion from watching the Broncos since becoming a Bronco fan in 1968, and my opinion only. Should be fun to watch.
                              If McCoy makes this offense Tebow-simple, won't that be easy for any Defensive coordinator to find a counter to?
                              Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post
                                My comment was tongue in cheek.

Comment

Working...
                                X