Starting QB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    Fact of the matter is we have the worst starting QB in a division that contains Alex smith. We are not the only team that is gonna go out and make improvements this off season. We also weren't the only team missing key players guys like Keenan Allen and Jamal Charles are coming back. We got knocked down to 3rd after finishing 1st 5 straight seasons. I'm not confident we reclaim our spot going into next year with the QB situation as is.
    Agreed. KC is looking really good and the Raiders will be a tough team to beat for the next 10 years, imo. In SD, with new coaching, guys back from injury....Broncos could be bringing up the rear in the division pretty easily.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
      Agreed. KC is looking really good and the Raiders will be a tough team to beat for the next 10 years, imo. In SD, with new coaching, guys back from injury....Broncos could be bringing up the rear in the division pretty easily.
      I think KC will always have a glass ceiling as long as they have Smith and Reid there. Those two will hold that team back. How can a guy who started 15 games, on a very good team, only have 15 touchdown passes? They've also got to make tough decisions this year due to cap constraints. So I think they take a step back next year.

the Raiders have this offseason where they can really improve the team and push for it next year, but in 2018 they're going to have to start paying their young players, they'll be able to keep Mack for a 5th relatively cheap year, and same with Cooper, but Carr is going to get a massive pay raise in 2018, so they'll need to have to start juggling things around to keep their window open.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
        And I think you greatly overestimate the difference between the two. Siemian wasn't nearly as far ahead as you seem to think, if Lynch gets a good offseason of working on footwork, and then continues progressing on reading defenses with coaches, and it's a pretty good competition.

If Lynch does zero work then what you say might be true, if Lynch does the work, he probably wins the competition, legitimately.
        Lynch has the potential to be very good one day with his arm and athletic ability, with good coaching. My opinion is Siemian will grasp the new offense much quicker than Lynch and be the starting QB unless someone like Romo is brought in or he is traded. I also think Siemian will respond better to hopefully good coaching and improve quicker with where he is at having a season under his belt. Lynch is at least a year from starting, maybe a couple depending on how Siemian develops.

Comment

Originally posted by MHOC View Post
          After watching the SB50 I'm all for Romo
          Let's win 52!
          Do you really think Romo can make to the 19th game of the season when he has made it through a 16 week season in the last 4 years? Yeah, he may get us to the playoffs if the last that long but with out o-line how likely is that? Then we'll be starting one of our benched QBs in the playoffs and we'll be one and done and out of a lot of money for his contract. Then, try it again the next year.
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

Fact of the matter is we have the worst starting QB in a division that contains Alex smith. We are not the only team that is gonna go out and make improvements this off season. We also weren't the only team missing key players guys like Keenan Allen and Jamal Charles are coming back. We got knocked down to 3rd after finishing 1st 5 straight seasons. I'm not confident we reclaim our spot going into next year with the QB situation as is.
            You say "in a division that contains Alex smith" like he is a bum? I don't know why people are such haters of this guy? He has the 3rd most wins in the last 6 years only after Brady and Rodgers. You can see the links below for yourself, but if Siemian can play like Alex Smith, I think that would be awesome and I think they have a lot of similarities, both very cerebral and protect the ball with high percentage plays and have accurate throws. I watched Smith since Utah and remember how accurate his throws were, I thought the same when I saw Siemian start the season. Alex can run more than you'd think. In 2015 he ran for almost 500 yrds (498), probably saving drives in doing so. All not bad when in a division where Peyton Manning was for the last 5 years and when we had a top defense for a couple/few of those years. If you remember, there were many years we couldn't get past the the Colts to get into the playoffs.

http://www.si.com/nfl/video/2016/11/...-rodgers-smith

http://nypost.com/2016/01/15/alex-sm...-quarterbacks/

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2...qb-alex-smith/
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
              It's not going to be either one. Trev will be traded, we will acquire Romo, and Lynch will wait and learn another year. Don't read too much into Elway's comments a few weeks ago. That was the only answer he could give, otherwise it would be tampering and we would face a very stiff penalty.
              Siemian hasn't shown enough to have trade value, especially after the year Osweller had, I doubt anyone wants to take a chance with our next QB. 7th rounders don't yield a lot of trade value this soon.

Comment

If it's a fair and "open" competition, with the winner getting the job, AND if the competition is between Siemian and Lynch, then Siemian will be the starter. But that precludes any "Blockbuster" trade for a veteran QB.

In any case, after reading these message boards since we Drafted Siemian, I almost wish the job would go to Lynch if for no other reason than most of the people Posting here would actually be able to spell the name of our starting QB.

Comment

Originally posted by haciendadad View Post
                  You say "in a division that contains Alex smith" like he is a bum? I don't know why people are such haters of this guy? He has the 3rd most wins in the last 6 years only after Brady and Rodgers. You can see the links below for yourself, but if Siemian can play like Alex Smith, I think that would be awesome and I think they have a lot of similarities, both very cerebral and protect the ball with high percentage plays and have accurate throws. I watched Smith since Utah and remember how accurate his throws were, I thought the same when I saw Siemian start the season. Alex can run more than you'd think. In 2015 he ran for almost 500 yrds (498), probably saving drives in doing so. All not bad when in a division where Peyton Manning was for the last 5 years and when we had a top defense for a couple/few of those years. If you remember, there were many years we couldn't get past the the Colts to get into the playoffs.

http://www.si.com/nfl/video/2016/11/...-rodgers-smith

http://nypost.com/2016/01/15/alex-sm...-quarterbacks/

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2...qb-alex-smith/
                  Its almost exactly what I mean. If Alex smith is better than your teams QB then you have an issue. If the first thing you mention to claim a QB is good is the teams record then that QB isn't very good. It was the first thing everyone said about Brock that lead to him being overpaid was the teams record and not the QBs play. I'm glad Alex smith can get rushing yards but that's what running backs are for. There is the reason the chiefs have peaked as a team and its because they settled for mediocre at QB. Here they are pressed for cap space and can't make any free agent moves and are not one step closer to being a superbowl caliber team.

Comment

Its almost exactly what I mean. If Alex smith is better than your teams QB then you have an issue. If the first thing you mention to claim a QB is good is the teams record then that QB isn't very good. It was the first thing everyone said about Brock that lead to him being overpaid was the teams record and not the QBs play. I'm glad Alex smith can get rushing yards but that's what running backs are for. There is the reason the chiefs have peaked as a team and its because they settled for mediocre at QB. Here they are pressed for cap space and can't make any free agent moves and are not one step closer to being a superbowl caliber team.
                    Yeah, putting up 44 points in a playoff game and losing is really on that qb. Having your punt returner fumble in overtime of the conference championship was Alex smith's mediocrity preventing the 49ers from a super bowl, a week after putting up 38 in a playoff victory that they definitely won in spite of Alex smith's inability to put up at least 40. He has 12 tds to 2 ints in 6 playoff games.

The dude is not this outstanding qb. But he isn't sole reason his team hasn't made a super bowl. This year, he was able to lead a two minute drive against the no fly zone and a 2 pt conversion to eventually win the game. He then led another one against the steelers and was a holding call away from tying that one up as well. When people like john elway and Peyton manning do stuff like that, even after playing poorly the majority of a game, it's because of how great they are in late game situations no matter the situation. When a qb like smith does it, it's because the d was playing soft, "but don't think we forgot about those times you checked down early in the game."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying smith is a top notch qb. But, it's been proven already that a mediocre qb can win a super bowl. Maybe not consistently. But it can happen. I'd argue that smith is above average as well. Better than what we had last year. Better than Dilfer and a few other qb's that have won super bowls. It's not impossible for him to win a super bowl in the right situation.

Comment

Broncos should just say f it

Johnny Manziel is the guy for the job

Comment

Smith gets bashed cause winners get wings. Smith doesn't get any wings. Having lots of wins and no playoff success drops your public perception. He was like Matt Ryan was until this year. A game manager who is incapable of taking that next step. If we had Smith failing like he has for KC, we'd call for his head.
                        2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing the new offense and what all the players look like on the field. It will be interesting. There will probably be some new faces on the offensive side of the ball.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                            I'm looking forward to seeing the new offense and what all the players look like on the field. It will be interesting. There will probably be some new faces on the offensive side of the ball.
                            We all know the capabilities of DT and ES but I'm excited to see what Mike McCoy and Bill Musgrave can do in their offense with guys like a Jordan Taylor, Jeff Heuerman and Aj Derby!

Up tempo offense with a trustworthy gunslinger (who ever it may be) is going to be very exciting to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                              If Trevor Siemian is "pro bowl", then Paxton Lynch is offensive rookie of the year...
                              Originally posted by conannilsen View Post
                              Smith gets bashed cause winners get wings. Smith doesn't get any wings. Having lots of wins and no playoff success drops your public perception. He was like Matt Ryan was until this year. A game manager who is incapable of taking that next step. If we had Smith failing like he has for KC, we'd call for his head.

Thanks for giving me a huge chuckle. :thumb:
                              Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

IF

DT is healthy and will actually play like a #1, not-to-be-messed-with, "don't you dare single cover this guy" WR and CJ is able to play more than 5 games this year, it would go a long way in helping the offensive line look a little better, going to a new scheme.

He-man said McCoys is an "up-tempo, no-huddle" fast paced offense, which I think will help immensely. For as inexperienced as they were, asking Lynch and Siemian to take a 7 step drop from center and diagnose a defense, and make an accurate on time pass was insanity, especially considering how verbose the plays called are and how atrocious the protections were. I'm hoping that whomever gets the nod, the fast paced offense will get them acting and reacting instead of scanning and diagnosing. You can't play fast if you're thinking slow. just my two cents.
                                sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Working...
                                X