A New Mile High Thunder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Mile High Thunder?

Hi, all. I was reading this article about how the Broncos no longer have the rowdiest/passionate fan base in the NFL.

Though there have been times when the fans have shown flashes of the older days in Mile High Stadium, it seemed to be true, since the article comes from those who've been to both stadiums.

What can be done to improve the stadium atmosphere overall, not just in the post-season?

I have a little idea, but I want to hear from you guys first before I can give it to you all. And no, it isn't building a new stadium.

With the price of tickets nowadays I think it's more of a wine and cheese crowd that goes to games compared to the beer crowds of the past. In recent years fans sell their tickets to opposing fans to offset the season ticket price. In the old days very few opposing fans attended the games. So the bottom line solution would be to lower prices, even though we all know that will never happen. JMO
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DwhitetheGamer View Post
      Hi, all. I was reading this article about how the Broncos no longer have the rowdiest/passionate fan base in the NFL.

Though there have been times when the fans have shown flashes of the older days in Mile High Stadium, it seemed to be true, since the article comes from those who've been to both stadiums.

What can be done to improve the stadium atmosphere overall, not just in the post-season?

I have a little idea, but I want to hear from you guys first before I can give it to you all. And no, it isn't building a new stadium.
      Consume more alcohol?

Comment

I wonder if legal weed has anything to do with that.
        :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
        sigpic

Comment

Let's be serious, guys.

qbronco has a point. The high prices is preventing the Thunder from coming back in a big storm. We'll need to ask politely to have the prices lowered greatly.

We should make the argument that more money will be made if more fans come to the games, and lowering the prices is the key to that.

The fans are the ones paying, so we need to pay less to make more noise.

Comment

Honestly, I think its transplants that are the issue. I'm saying this as a transplant myself. I grew up in Kansas as a KC/Pats fan (despite not being an avid NFL watcher) and when I moved here 13 years ago, I started rooting for the Broncos, fanatically by 2010.

Every Rockies game you go to, there are often almost as many fans for the Rockies as there are for other teams. More CUBS fans than Rockies at home games. It's a similar situation with the Broncos to a lesser extent. I think I saw a stat that only 1 out of ever 5 people in the Denver area were born and raised here. I know very few "natives" anymore. There are just too many people from other places. Those that do assimilate, aren't usually as rabid as if they grew up on the Broncos. I think I'm a bit unique in that respect.

Just my 2c

Comment

Originally posted by qbronco View Post
              With the price of tickets nowadays I think it's more of a wine and cheese crowd that goes to games compared to the beer crowds of the past. In recent years fans sell their tickets to opposing fans to offset the season ticket price. In the old days very few opposing fans attended the games. So the bottom line solution would be to lower prices, even though we all know that will never happen. JMO
              So much this.
              I believe.

Comment

I just got to thinking about this.

Anyone in Denver remember the Denver7 channel bringing up how to keep the new Mile High relevant?

They said they had ideas to avoid asking the public for a new stadium. The upgrades, if I remember, consisted of more club-level suites, Standing Room-only options like in Coors Field.

That might be able to drop the main stadium ticket prices considerably, getting more of the rabid fans into Mile High like before.

Anyways, time for my ideas.

Now note that this should only be when the road teams' offense comes onto the field in Denver. Maybe we should upgrade the atmosphere itself to a "real football" atmosphere, as in Soccer style.

Comment

The crowd hasn't changed much. The stadium is built differently, but the crowd is still loud, still supports the team and still makes it hard for the opposing offense to hear the qb. It's not a wine and cheese crowd, and the stadium and nfl do flash up some rules for being respectful at times on the big screens and there have been leaguewide rule changes and enforcements to keep the drunks and belligerent people from acting drunk and belligerent.
                  :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                  sigpic

Comment

Why did they tear down the old Miles High Stadium anyways? I never thought of it as a "dump".

Nonetheless, sports owners cater to the rich. That's the way it is. Look at the atmosphere at new Yankee Stadium compared to the old.

Comment

Honestly, the idea of rich vs. poor with respect to fandom annoys me. Nobody likes high prices for tickets but that is not any fans fault: not those who can no longer afford to attend games and those who can. That's ridiculous and does not even get to the issue of being a fan at a game.

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
                      The crowd hasn't changed much. The stadium is built differently, but the crowd is still loud, still supports the team and still makes it hard for the opposing offense to hear the qb. It's not a wine and cheese crowd, and the stadium and nfl do flash up some rules for being respectful at times on the big screens and there have been leaguewide rule changes and enforcements to keep the drunks and belligerent people from acting drunk and belligerent.
                      Thanks Housh! That pretty much answers everything. Stadium construction and materials have almost everything to do with it.

Comment

America's "Free Enterprise" dictates ticket prices. It is called the law of "Supply and Demand". A supply of 70k+ seats with a demand of 700k, the limited seats go to the highest bidder.
                        sigpic

Comment

It's because they banned sledgehammers : ) There's definitely something to the construction and design of the stadium itself, ticket prices attracting a more "refined," to put it politely, clientele, and maybe just a hint of realizing just how much of a business it all is vs the civic pride that shined through at the old Mile High.

My suggestion is to bring back a spiritual successor to the South Stands. Make the 500 level a mix of standing room and tight bleachers with lower prices, more people, and a strict no telling people to sit down or be quiet zone. If you want to stand, stomp, scream, and yell, the 500's are for you. Maybe some of the rowdiness will rub off on the good folks below who have their hands full spreading tapenade on crackers to go with their fine cheese.

Comment

I like this idea above me.

Comment

You know there's really only 3 teams that have exceptional home field advantage and the Broncos are not one of them. I'd say New England, Seattle, and Green Bay have the best HFA's in the NFL and for various reasons. Denver's HFA is rated as average, it was better at the old Mile High and the general thinking from what I have heard is that the newer stadiums built in the last 15 years or so are attracting a more "corporate" type of crowd that might be sitting on their hands just a bit, if not rooting for the home team at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X