Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do we really have for a QB?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do we really have for a QB?????

I'm not sold on Trevor and Paxton IMO isn't ready for the pressure that would be on him as a starter this season, based on what I saw last season. I'm probably asking for trouble, because I'll likely hear varying answers on how much of the $35+mil? in cap space that we're projected to have this season. I'm just curious how much does everyone think we're willing to spend, knowing the O line is probably priority #1, QB #2 and then working on DLinemen or LBs that can help us get back to stuffing the run.

As much as I dislike the Chargers, I love Rivers game and wouldn't mind him in Denver. He's unhappy with the move, but I think his contract is too much to consider. For the first time, I heard commentators in DC fearing that Denver may make a move at Kirk Cousins. I'll be honest, for the right price, I'm thinking that wouldn't be horrible. Kirk reminds me of a healthier Romo. The guy can light up the stat sheet, but is careless sometimes and throws INTs. With the defense we have, I'd take the occasional bone headed INT, with the upside of throwing 4 TDs a game from time to time. I'm just not his price tag.

Just like you I dont see us winning a superbowl with either of those two in the near future unless they make progress at a rapid rate. We all seen Trevor regress over the course of a season and Paxton we don't know. The only realistic option is romo. The low end of salaries for starting QBs not on a rookie deal is 16mill. Romo will restructure but lower than that is not being realistic.

As for other options rivers is not happening and cousins isn't happening unless elway thinks of him as a franchise QB because it will take a similar package that Chicago gave us for jay cutler to get cousins and then we would have to give him a 5-6 year contract in the 100+ mill range on top of that.

All signs point to Paxton being given every opportunity to take over so I doubt we bring in anybody that will be more than a 2-3 year option. Romo is the most realistic and best bet if we want to win it all.

At some point and time we will have to invest the salary cap in a decent QB. We tried going the cheap route last year and it bit us in the butt. To do the same thing again and expect a different result is foolish.
    Last edited by shawinkerpoppin; 02-01-2017, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Rivers' contract has a no trade clause. He's publicly said he wants to remain with the Chargers. He is not going anywhere.

Cousins could be an interesting catch but he'll demand a lot with some seriously QB starving teams. If he hits FA the Browns are a likely destination and they are sitting on a crazy amount of cash. I suspect the Redskins will want to keep him.His salary last year was $19.95 mill. Either they tag him and he'll have the same salary, or they offer him a contract. Either way Cousins will be making a minimum of $19.95 mill this year.

If we got in to a bidding war over cousins, first, I suspect we'd lose but if he could be talked into coming to Denver, he'd eat up half our cap for this year. That's pretty steep, not impossible, but steep.

But, then any QB vet that is slightly as good or better than Osweiller will demand $15+

The real question is not what we are willing to spend on a QB. That is part of the equation but not the fundamental issue. Really, I think the coaches will be trying to determine what, if anything, can be done with the talent we have on the roster. McCoy and Musgrave will have a lot of imput about what their expectations are: what is ideal and what they can work with. This is where a lot of people expect that Lynch will have a realistic shot to start this season - not because he has surpassed the experience that Siemian gained last year but that McCoy runs a QB friendly style offense so the learning curve for both is reduced.

How that all plays out remains to be seen. I would be slightly surprised if we went big on a QB this season in FA such as Romo or Cousins (less likely of the two, IMO).

If there is any money spent retooling anything I bet it is to put in place a better running game. That was by far the biggest failure of the season.

Comment

I think the only two outside QB's we have a realistic shot at are Romo and Cutler. Between those two and our current two i would stick with Trevor. I think he is more then capable, i put the regression on his shoulder injury. That injury probably would not have happened if we had a cohesive line. I think Trevor can be a great QB with a good line. Keep Trevor, Upgrade OLINE DLINE and LB.
        sigpic
        BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Comment

The man who wields the Siemian jersey can summon to him a championship team more powerful than any that walks this earth.

I believe.

Comment

Trevor is the man, is just gunna take next season for more people to jump on board. He will have a better season this year than he did last.

Comment

Originally posted by SMR81 View Post
              Trevor is the man, is just gunna take next season for more people to jump on board. He will have a better season this year than he did last.
              I hear you, but many said that last year and even though he had injuries, looked very average. Multiple players, some WRs are speaking out freely about thriving with Romo. I don't at all want to risk the season on Mr. Glass, but just hearing players basically hoping for a more productive QB tells me the players aren't exactly confident and neither am I. I think the a vet has to be acquired, or improve the line and groom Paxton.

Comment

Way I see it if we are not getting a vet that we can win now with then we might as well throw Paxton out there and see what he can do. He wont get better unless he gets consistent reps and live game action. No point in spending time on a guy that isn't the future and has shown average on a good day potential.

Comment

Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post
                  I hear you, but many said that last year and even though he had injuries, looked very average. Multiple players, some WRs are speaking out freely about thriving with Romo. I don't at all want to risk the season on Mr. Glass, but just hearing players basically hoping for a more productive QB tells me the players aren't exactly confident and neither am I. I think the a vet has to be acquired, or improve the line and groom Paxton.
                  I find it funny you use the term Mr. Glass on Siemian instead of Romo who is more injury prone. Romo is definitely not a viable option unless you are only focused on near-term (1 year at a time) planning/thinking for the team.

And I'm not sure of the fairness in calling his performance average when an 18 year vet had the similar stats in the season prior in the same system (we were also down our #1 back for half the season with Siemian as well). Who knows what the future will hold with Siemian in a less complicated system. I'm anxious to see how well he performs in the off-season/pre-season. Lynch leaves a lot to be desired but also has room to improve in the off-season.
                  I believe.

Comment

I don't understand how people still don't realize how bad our offensive line was last season. Imagine Cutler or Orton behind that line. *shudders*
                    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
                      I don't understand how people still don't realize how bad our offensive line was last season. Imagine Cutler or Orton behind that line. *shudders*
                      Agreed. In fact imagine any QB behind that O-line. I hope we roll with Trevor or Paxton this year and spend the draft picks and money on where they need to be spent.

Comment

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
                        Agreed. In fact imagine any QB behind that O-line. I hope we roll with Trevor or Paxton this year and spend the draft picks and money on where they need to be spent.
                        Yea, all that money could be spent on an oline and a solid tight end or two that we still need.

Not sure Tebow would have been able to run behind that line.
                        :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post
                          A first year starter can only look so good, especially when you consider the blocking and run game he had to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
                            Way I see it if we are not getting a vet that we can win now with then we might as well throw Paxton out there and see what he can do. He wont get better unless he gets consistent reps and live game action. No point in spending time on a guy that isn't the future and has shown average on a good day potential.
                            Hopefully the team trades Paxton for some oline help whether it be a pick or player, no need in having a first round pick bench warm the bench for 2-3 years while Siemian is the starter.

Comment

Personally I would save the money on QB and get two GREAT FA O-Linemen and either a NT or ILB. I think if we can give our QB's enough time they can get the job done. That is going to depend greatly on how much we can improve the O-Line. We need at minimum 2 tackles and 1 guard. Maybe we can get someone good in the draft at ILB/NT etc.
                              sigpic
                              Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                              2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                              2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Working...
                              X