Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do we really have for a QB?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SMR81 View Post
    The whole team folded, but look at all the injuries they had, so I wouldn't even call it folding. There were at least a couple games where Trevor was one of the few positives in the offense. That offense was based on the run working, CJ Anderson and Janovich go down injured, then the backup goes down and we pull a RB in off the street who had already been cut by I think 2 teams that year. Then you've got the injuries at the TE position which was already weak, our one good lineman in Paridis is banged up and not practicing. Who is suppose the be successful in that type of an offense? Much less someone throwing their first NFL pass that year. Sorry but your expectations make little to no sense at all, not every QB is going to be pro bowl caliber their first year. Oh wait, Trevor got an invite?
    You act like we are the only team to have injuries all year. I have seen this plenty of QBs do more with less. I have seen plenty of QBs play better behind worst lines. You can make all the excuses you want he just wasn't very good. He can be decent on a day when everything goes well but when asked to do more he doesn't rise to the occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
      You act like we are the only team to have injuries all year. I have seen this plenty of QBs do more with less. I have seen plenty of QBs play better behind worst lines. You can make all the excuses you want he just wasn't very good. He can be decent on a day when everything goes well but when asked to do more he doesn't rise to the occasion.
      Yeah it doesn't work like that with last years situation, sorry. When the focal point of the offense is to run the ball and you lose your starting and backup RB, plus your starting FB then you've got big problems. That's not a recipe for success with a young QB unless you live in fairytale land. As for all these QBs you see doing more with less I doubt they are first year starters. Facts, not excuses.

Sorry but not every first year starter will have a season like Dak, he's got tremendous pieces surrounding him on the side of the ball.

Comment

Can you really make a long term assessment on a rookie's first year?

Invest the money in the o-line and give them at least a couple of years to develop. It is not as easy as it seems.

Judging QBs with bad o-lines is like putting in bad gas in a car and evaluating how it drives.

I think people are spoiled, they think there is going to be another Peyton out there and we'll be in the super bowl every year by keep on getting the available veteran du jour.

We finished with a 9-7 with a rookie, next year Siemian will have some good experience under his belt and our offensive scheme should be more explosive because they won't be playing it safe to get Siemian's feet under him.

As far as inconsistency, even the great QBs ride a rollercoaster through the season, look at Rodgers. Rivers won't be taking us to the SB, it would just delay the development of the young QBs we have.
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

Originally posted by haciendadad View Post
          Can you really make a long term assessment on a rookie's first year?

Invest the money in the o-line and give them at least a couple of years to develop. It is not as easy as it seems.

Judging QBs with bad o-lines is like putting in bad gas in a car and evaluating how it drives.

I think people are spoiled, they think there is going to be another Peyton out there and we'll be in the super bowl every year by keep on getting the available veteran du jour.

We finished with a 9-7 with a rookie, next year Siemian will have some good experience under his belt and our offensive scheme should be more explosive because they won't be playing it safe to get Siemian's feet under him.

As far as inconsistency, even the great QBs ride a rollercoaster through the season, look at Rodgers. Rivers won't be taking us to the SB, it would just delay the development of the young QBs we have.
          Exactly! There's a reason those guys aren't in playing on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
            this is his first playing year, behind a bad line and without a reliable run game. Hard to ask a rookie to succeed with those factors in play. You gotta give him some time and be patient. If Trevor can make the jump from being a 3rd string to a starter in one offseason, there's no reason to suspect he can't take his game to another level now that he's had a full year of playing experience beneath him. At certain points of the season you could see the game slowing down for him. Same thing for Lynch, he didn't start very well, but that's not to say he can't succeed as well. I believe McCoy and Musgrave were both brought in specifically to address the QB issues, and I have no doubt that Lynch and Siemian will benefit directly from that decision.

Either way, Elway and Joseph will only allow the best QB be the starter next season.
            Last edited by TheAsianPA; 02-03-2017, 02:13 PM.
            Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Obviously there's room for improvement at the QB position. On balance, there was a lot to like in Trevor's game as well as some deficiencies. To be expected in a first year starter. That said, I think it's abundantly clear that QB wasn't the limiting factor in this year's offense. The oline and corresponding inability to run the ball or protect the QB was the limiting factor. Other things like lacking a go to TE, uneven play from DT, and unimaginative play calling contributed as well. But oline was clearly the weakest link. An average oline would have won 2-3 more games easily. IMHO, that's where you put the resources this offseason and let the QB position develop. Spending on a QB and not addressing the oline will delay the inevitable and not significantly improve the outcome.

Comment

Seemed teams got a blueprint to play against Trevor late in the year.

Sure the OL, lack of 3rd WR, consistent TE, and run game didnt help causes but he wasnt good.

Cap wise, we have about 30ish now but cutting the likes of Stephenson, Green, and Okung would save around 16-17 mil. Klis said if Romo would settle for a 5-10 per year, they would consider him. Cant see Elway giving him franchise QB money given the OL, DL, and other holes on the roster.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                  Seemed teams got a blueprint to play against Trevor late in the year.

Sure the OL, lack of 3rd WR, consistent TE, and run game didnt help causes but he wasnt good.

Cap wise, we have about 30ish now but cutting the likes of Stephenson, Green, and Okung would save around 16-17 mil. Klis said if Romo would settle for a 5-10 per year, they would consider him. Cant see Elway giving him franchise QB money given the OL, DL, and other holes on the roster.
                  We'll have more than 30ish.

Comment

Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
                    We'll have more than 30ish.
                    I said now lol, if we move some contracts around, we'll have more to work with.

But potentially getting a vet QB, couple DL, and OL, as well as maybe a 3rd WR/TE/ILB would be working tight to the cap.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                      I said now lol, if we move some contracts around, we'll have more to work with.

But potentially getting a vet QB, couple DL, and OL, as well as maybe a 3rd WR/TE/ILB would be working tight to the cap.
                      I was more so just automatically counting the fact that there will be an increase in salary cap most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
                        I was more so just automatically counting the fact that there will be an increase in salary cap most likely.
                        That number is with the assumption of what the cap number would be but you could always just lower the year 1 cap number, and just give out a bigger signing bonus.

Comment

The Tony Romo thing might happen if Romo accepts a very team-friendly deal based on incentives. If Romo wants money, it won't happen in Denver for sure.

It will be interesting to see what Elway will do. I am sure he is livid that Denver finished 3rd in the division and 2017 may not be much better unless there is some improvement at the QB position.

I don't expect Elway to show interest again in QBs like Kaepernick or Tyrod Taylor. At this point, the team would probably prefer to see what Siemian or Lynch can do next season instead of paying significant money to have Kaepernick or Taylor on the field.

Siemian, Kaepernick and Taylor look like comparable QBs right now and Siemian has a very team-friendly salary. The big question mark is how much progress Paxton Lynch will be able to make this offseason.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                            The Tony Romo thing might happen if Romo accepts a very team-friendly deal based on incentives. If Romo wants money, it won't happen in Denver for sure.

It will be interesting to see what Elway will do. I am sure he is livid that Denver finished 3rd in the division and 2017 may not be much better unless there is some improvement at the QB position.

I don't expect Elway to show interest again in QBs like Kaepernick or Tyrod Taylor. At this point, the team would probably prefer to see what Siemian or Lynch can do next season instead of paying significant money to have Kaepernick or Taylor on the field.

Siemian, Kaepernick and Taylor look like comparable QBs right now and Siemian has a very team-friendly salary. The big question mark is how much progress Paxton Lynch will be able to make this offseason.
                            That's my take, too. Elway has a budget. If Romo becomes available and fits within it, he might be a Bronco. I think McCoy and Musgrave were brought in to develop Trevor and Paxton. At the moment, there is little cap space tied up in the QB position.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I would be quite ok with signing Romo, at a reasonable price. I could see our young guns fighting for the job....and if we are doing well, but falter a little, Romo still has the talent/smarts to win a key game or two. I am not sure there is anyone else out there that fits our needs, in terms of budget/long term value, so why not do it if he is affordable? And though some are not as excited about the "mentorship" side of the ledger, I can see this guy bringing a lot to our team that way. Plus he is a class act in my books.

Comment

Trevor just simply hit the rookie wall last season. That was not unexpected as it happens to almost all rookies. Let's see how he handles McCoy's offense before we pass final judgement. He should be much improved from last season.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X