How much do we really have for a QB?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bterres105
    Special Teams
    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    And we end up being the chiefs. Only time you win with poor QB play is if you have an epic defense. Our defense is elite but not what it was during our SB run and it might now be that again. One important thing people over look is chemistry. Aside from talent that team had chemistry. We have since lost several key starters and our coordinator. Teams with lasting success have good QBs. Look at the last 20 years of SB winners only 2 of them were not franchise QBs or hall of famers.
    The chiefs are an example of an underachieving, well rounded team, but how much of that is attributed to Andy Reid though?
    I can give you many more examples of team with great qbs, meh defenses, that have not succeeded in the playoffs, yet alone sustain any continuity.

Look at the Chargers, Saints, Cardinals, Panthers, Ravens, Cowboys, Falcons (up until this season) one can include the Steelers too.

I know I'm gonna hear the "yeah, but some of those guys you listed have rings." It's not a coincidence that some of the teams I listed won Super Bowls when their defenses and running games were good. Is it a coincidence that Peyton Manning won both his super bowls when his defense were really good? What about when a young Roethlisberger won a super bowl with Jerome Bettie and a dominant defense.

Drew Brees is no doubt one of the best at the moment, but what his team done lately? Phillip Rivers? Romo? What have they done in the playoffs as of late?

I'm aware of the converse as well and I know the example of the Patriots and Tom Brady will be brought up, but let us not forget the two main reasons the Pats are always in the playoffs, they have Beill Belicheat and they play in the pathetic AFC East.
    Last edited by Bterres105; 02-02-2017, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• champ&dreallday
      Playmaker
      • Sep 2007

I hear what many of you are saying: the O line is sub par, the run game struggled, which combined to make things difficult for a young QB. However, I often use an example that I saw from David Carr and made me say this guy has something special, which I haven't said or seen from Trevor and leads me to have limited confidence in him, even when healthy and with a better line. On several occasions, in close games, (some of which we lost and didn't put up 20 points), we needed one play that could've really changed the game. Teams were somewhat disrespectful giving no safety help over the top on either DT or Sanders. Teams are clearly moving the safties up to take away the dink and dunk. I'm sitting there saying c'mon 13, take your pick, you've got DT and Sanders, send either one of them on a go route, it's one on one!!!! I sit there and watch a predictable dig, curl, slant etc at 5-7 yards and usually not moving the chains. This happened often and resulted in 3 and outs.

I'm just using this as an example and not saying Carr is the next Montana, but I'm using this as an example of a guy that has something special/wants to makes plays, which is what I think we need. While mic'd up for the game, Carr saw cover 0, with a rookie WR out wide. He immediately looked out to the WR, gave him a signal, took his 3-5 step drop with the blitz coming right at him and threw the deep pass. He got blasted on the play, as expected, but got up and flipped out on the WR because he didn't run the go route. While mic'd up, I believe the WR said I saw the blitz coming so I broke off of the route. Carr basically chewed the guy out and said run the route I tell you to run, that was one on one coverage and I'll take you winning that matchup, so I'm throwing the go route no matter what, screw the hit, that's a one play TD.

This was a no name WR, and Carr chewed him out, saying I'm gonna gamble on big plays like that every time. That doesn't make Carr great, but to me, it says I believe in my teammates and looking to make the big play. I just don't see that from Trevor. He throws a great deep ball, I just don't see it often. And before anyone says he doesn't call the plays, he's a starting QB, he has some authority to take a deep shot if he feels it.
      Last edited by champ&dreallday; 02-02-2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• lvbronx
        Old School
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
        Again?

I mean, I've shown several examples over different threads already. His own coaches said he was lost most of the time. In his start against Jacksonville he was throwing with his legs crossed.
        That's a coincidence...whenever Tebow threw a pass I had my fingers crossed.

Comment

• SMR81
          Banned User
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post
          I hear what many of you are saying: the O line is sub par, the run game struggled, which combined to make things difficult for a young QB. However, I often use an example that I saw from David Carr and made me say this guy has something special, which I haven't said or seen from Trevor and leads me to have limited confidence in him, even when healthy and with a better line. On several occasions, in close games, (some of which we lost and didn't put up 20 points), we needed one play that could've really changed the game. Teams were somewhat disrespectful giving no safety help over the top on either DT or Sanders. Teams are clearly moving the safties up to take away the dink and dunk. I'm sitting there saying c'mon 13, take your pick, you've got DT and Sanders, send either one of them on a go route, it's one on one!!!! I sit there and watch a predictable dig, curl, slant etc at 5-7 yards and usually not moving the chains. This happened often and resulted in 3 and outs.

I'm just using this as an example and not saying Carr is the next Montana, but I'm using this as an example of a guy that has something special/wants to makes plays, which is what I think we need. While mic'd up for the game, Carr saw cover 0, with a rookie WR out wide. He immediately looked out to the WR, gave him a signal, took his 3-5 step drop with the blitz coming right at him and threw the deep pass. He got blasted on the play, as expected, but got up and flipped out on the WR because he didn't run the go route. While mic'd up, I believe the WR said I saw the blitz coming so I broke off of the route. Carr basically chewed the guy out and said run the route I tell you to run, that was one on one coverage and I'll take you winning that matchup, so I'm throwing the go route no matter what, screw the hit, that's a one play TD.

This was a no name WR, and Carr chewed him out, saying I'm gonna gamble on big plays like that every time. That doesn't make Carr great, but to me, it says I believe in my teammates and looking to make the big play. I just don't see that from Trevor. He throws a great deep ball, I just don't see it often. And before anyone says he doesn't call the plays, he's a starting QB, he has some authority to take a deep shot if he feels it.
          Was this during Carr's 1st year as a starter you saw this example you posted? First year starting QBs need time to develop, those plays will hopefully come in time. This isn't really directed at you but some of posts on here are just unrealistic expectations of a first year starter. Doesn't Manning own the rookie INT record? Im not trying to compare the 2, but that's just an example of how QBs can develop. Trevor has shown he can hit those big plays, he just needs more experience as do all first year starters.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
            Banned User
            • Dec 2015

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
            Again?

I mean, I've shown several examples over different threads already. His own coaches said he was lost most of the time. In his start against Jacksonville he was throwing with his legs crossed.
            Maybe he needed to go?

Comment

• XterraRob
              Bench Warmer
              • Nov 2014

Cmon man, I was referring to Romo as Mr. Glass. Siemian was dinked up, would hardly call him injury prone. I meant I'm not confident Romo could last 5 games, especially with our current line.
              You're right man, sorry.
              I believe.

Comment

• qbronco
                Lifelong Fan
                • Oct 2007

David Carr or Derek Carr?
                sigpic

Comment

• shawinkerpoppin
                  Special Teams
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by SMR81 View Post
                  Was this during Carr's 1st year as a starter you saw this example you posted? First year starting QBs need time to develop, those plays will hopefully come in time. This isn't really directed at you but some of posts on here are just unrealistic expectations of a first year starter. Doesn't Manning own the rookie INT record? Im not trying to compare the 2, but that's just an example of how QBs can develop. Trevor has shown he can hit those big plays, he just needs more experience as do all first year starters.
                  People were seeing something in Carr his first year out. It may be hard for you to accept but simien has shown the makings of a backup QB. He hasn't shown the guts you look for in a franchise QB. If our level of expectation is game management then yes he is our guy. But the expectation is franchise QB potential. If it were there last year then there wouldn't be an open competition there wouldn't be new offensive coaches and a new offense there wouldn't be people wanting romo and rivers and other names.

Comment

• shawinkerpoppin
                    Special Teams
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bterres105 View Post
                    The chiefs are an example of an underachieving, well rounded team, but how much of that is attributed to Andy Reid though?
                    I can give you many more examples of team with great qbs, meh defenses, that have not succeeded in the playoffs, yet alone sustain any continuity.

Look at the Chargers, Saints, Cardinals, Panthers, Ravens, Cowboys, Falcons (up until this season) one can include the Steelers too.

I know I'm gonna hear the "yeah, but some of those guys you listed have rings." It's not a coincidence that some of the teams I listed won Super Bowls when their defenses and running games were good. Is it a coincidence that Peyton Manning won both his super bowls when his defense were really good? What about when a young Roethlisberger won a super bowl with Jerome Bettie and a dominant defense.

Drew Brees is no doubt one of the best at the moment, but what his team done lately? Phillip Rivers? Romo? What have they done in the playoffs as of late?

I'm aware of the converse as well and I know the example of the Patriots and Tom Brady will be brought up, but let us not forget the two main reasons the Pats are always in the playoffs, they have Beill Belicheat and they play in the pathetic AFC East.
                    Gives us one of the QBs you mentioned and we most likley are playing this Sunday.

Comment

• SMR81
                      Banned User
                      • Sep 2015

People were seeing something in Carr his first year out. It may be hard for you to accept but simien has shown the makings of a backup QB. He hasn't shown the guts you look for in a franchise QB. If our level of expectation is game management then yes he is our guy. But the expectation is franchise QB potential. If it were there last year then there wouldn't be an open competition there wouldn't be new offensive coaches and a new offense there wouldn't be people wanting romo and rivers and other names.
                      Sorry but I was referring to the one particular example I listed, not whatever you responded with. Also, I don't know if I can take you seriously when you can't spell the starters name correctly, very basic spelling.

Also, what did OZ show that was franchise potential that Siemian didn't? There were people that wanted him through the playoffs and then again this year in Denver, including Elway.

Comment

• shawinkerpoppin
                        Special Teams
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by SMR81 View Post
                        Sorry but I was referring to the one particular example I listed, not whatever you responded with. Also, I don't know if I can take you seriously when you can't spell the starters name correctly, very basic spelling.

Also, what did OZ show that was franchise potential that Siemian didn't? There were people that wanted him through the playoffs and then again this year in Denver, including Elway.
                        I didn't like oz either. The first thing people said about him was the teams record which is usually an indication the player doesn't have much to show for. It pretty much the same thing for simien up until the 3 game stretch where he folded now there isn't much of anything. But oz wasn't as bad. But much like oz put simein in a different place ask him to do more and watch it unravel.

Comment

• broncolassiter
                          Special Teams
                          • Aug 2009

Elway has a plan, he just is not going to bring it to the attention of the media. I could see Elway going after a Veteran QB if the right one came available. I happen to think that Trevor showed enough that Elway will not feel the QB is a priority. Does not mean he won't sign another, just would have to be an upgrade.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
                            Football Immortal
                            • May 2010

Get sold Paxton is gonna be really good in this league this or next year
                            sigpic
                            oakland raders gm
                            latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• SMR81
                              Banned User
                              • Sep 2015

I didn't like oz either. The first thing people said about him was the teams record which is usually an indication the player doesn't have much to show for. It pretty much the same thing for simien up until the 3 game stretch where he folded now there isn't much of anything. But oz wasn't as bad. But much like oz put simein in a different place ask him to do more and watch it unravel.
                              The whole team folded, but look at all the injuries they had, so I wouldn't even call it folding. There were at least a couple games where Trevor was one of the few positives in the offense. That offense was based on the run working, CJ Anderson and Janovich go down injured, then the backup goes down and we pull a RB in off the street who had already been cut by I think 2 teams that year. Then you've got the injuries at the TE position which was already weak, our one good lineman in Paridis is banged up and not practicing. Who is suppose the be successful in that type of an offense? Much less someone throwing their first NFL pass that year. Sorry but your expectations make little to no sense at all, not every QB is going to be pro bowl caliber their first year. Oh wait, Trevor got an invite?

Comment

• Bates
                                All-Time Great
                                • Jul 2014

Why are so many fans ready to give up on Trevor (who had a solid year despite having no run game or Oline or competent coaching staff) and go all in on a QB who gets injured when the Center farts? It's a waste of money and roster space.

I'd consider Rivers but he will be too expensive and I think he has a no trade clause in his contract but I could be wrong. Romo is going to hurt us more than help us. Half way through a Romo led season when he is a hurt and our team is struggling we will be saying things like, "Man we could have used (insert FA name here) if we didn't pay Romo all that money."

I'll eat my shoe if we pick him up and he can stay healthy all season.

Comment

Working...
                                X