Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terrell Davis Officially In The Pro Football Hall Of Fame

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
    Congrats TD

    I had an official #30 jersey from the 90's I stopped wearing some time back so I flat tacked it on a wall in a cabin we have in the mountains. Yup, some lowlife stole it, hindsight is always 20/20.
    Maybe it was a bear, or the ghost of Charles Bent or Kit Carson.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

    Comment


    • I usually watch the HoF speeches, because there are often family related things, or interesting stories, that make it all worth while. So often it's the case of a Mom who had 2 or more jobs. Or seeing the kids cry, because they probably never heard their BIG Dad talk like that before. So much emotion! I missed a couple of them, and only partly listened to JJ, but what I did see had some memorable moments:
      - as I mentioned...The Moms, who did so much of the work, so unselfishly
      - the ability to speak so well, publicly, even with their prompters
      - the crazy journey that was Kurt Warner's (almost as crazy of his wife's hair styles over the years!)
      - the families...I always like when they show their entire families (unfortunately I think the NFL messed up a bit, because not all families were shown or their names posted...and the prompters were not functioning well)
      - seeing our guy make it to the big show!
      - LT's final message....

      What I really want to know is....how do all those older HoF'ers manage to sit through that long night!!!??? I believe they take some breaks, but wow, that must be a marathon for some!

      CONGRATS TD!!! (I still love watching you make that one cut into a nice hole (thx as well to our Oline), and breakin it!!!)

      Comment


      • LTs closing speech was the highlight of the event for me. That might be the 1st time I have EVER cried watching a grown man talk. What a speech!

        Congrats to all HOF inductees! To all of the people trying to make cases for how they don't deserve it... get over it! Obviously these guys deserve this great accolade. Don't take it away from them. Yes even JJ deserves it.

        Thank you TD for making a case for Mr. B getting in next year!

        Overall great night of speeches.
        Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

        Comment


        • Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
          LTs closing speech was the highlight of the event for me. That might be the 1st time I have EVER cried watching a grown man talk. What a speech!

          Congrats to all HOF inductees! To all of the people trying to make cases for how they don't deserve it... get over it! Obviously these guys deserve this great accolade. Don't take it away from them. Yes even JJ deserves it.

          Thank you TD for making a case for Mr. B getting in next year!

          Overall great night of speeches.
          can you explain why please?
          sigpic

          Comment


          • Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
            can you explain why please?
            I'll try and explain why I think he's deserving of the enshrinement.

            First of all, I think it's important to remember that there's a difference between being a contributor and a player, so how many rings the Cowboys have won under his leadership isn't of the greatest importance (doesn't hurt his candidacy either, naturally). Far more relevant is the impact he's had on the league from a business perspective. Everything from league revenue to CBA changes. All owners bear responsibility in how the league is run and some are doing a much better job than others. Many owners opposed his aggressive branding strategies early on but look at the way most teams are now run. Jerry Jones was also very much involved in NFL Network back in 2007 when it struggled to grow its distribution footprint.

            Did he contribute enough? Put all the chips on the table and the answer is a resounding yes.

            Jerry Jones and Pat Bowlen (Sunday Night Football and countless rule changes (Paul Tagliabue), maximizing profits etc) worked tirelessly on finding new ways to expand league revenue. No other owners have meant more to revenue stream and the financial well being of today's NFL. That's also why Pat Bowlen will be enshrined next year.
            Adopted Poster
            AZ Snake Fan

            Comment


            • Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
              I'll try and explain why I think he's deserving of the enshrinement.

              First of all, I think it's important to remember that there's a difference between being a contributor and a player, so how many rings the Cowboys have won under his leadership isn't of the greatest importance (doesn't hurt his candidacy either, naturally). Far more relevant is the impact he's had on the league from a business perspective. Everything from league revenue to CBA changes. All owners bear responsibility in how the league is run and some are doing a much better job than others. Many owners opposed his aggressive branding strategies early on but look at the way most teams are now run. Jerry Jones was also very much involved in NFL Network back in 2007 when it struggled to grow its distribution footprint.

              Did he contribute enough? Put all the chips on the table and the answer is a resounding yes.

              Jerry Jones and Pat Bowlen (Sunday Night Football and countless rule changes (Paul Tagliabue), maximizing profits etc) worked tirelessly on finding new ways to expand league revenue. No other owners have meant more to revenue stream and the financial well being of today's NFL. That's also why Pat Bowlen will be enshrined next year.
              You make a good case pal!

              And yes......and as wonderfully stated by TD.....Pat Bowlen should be a HoF'er next season!! Make it happen NFL!!!!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
                I'll try and explain why I think he's deserving of the enshrinement.

                First of all, I think it's important to remember that there's a difference between being a contributor and a player, so how many rings the Cowboys have won under his leadership isn't of the greatest importance (doesn't hurt his candidacy either, naturally). Far more relevant is the impact he's had on the league from a business perspective. Everything from league revenue to CBA changes. All owners bear responsibility in how the league is run and some are doing a much better job than others. Many owners opposed his aggressive branding strategies early on but look at the way most teams are now run. Jerry Jones was also very much involved in NFL Network back in 2007 when it struggled to grow its distribution footprint.

                Did he contribute enough? Put all the chips on the table and the answer is a resounding yes.

                Jerry Jones and Pat Bowlen (Sunday Night Football and countless rule changes (Paul Tagliabue), maximizing profits etc) worked tirelessly on finding new ways to expand league revenue. No other owners have meant more to revenue stream and the financial well being of today's NFL. That's also why Pat Bowlen will be enshrined next year.
                pretty much your whole argument....and the ones I have heard elsewhere all deal with $.....increasing the value of teams and the league. I have to question is that enough? Can owners actually buy their way into the HoF? He wasn't like guys like Al Davis and Lamar Hunt who actually helped make the league and shape it into what it is today.


                ....and if Dallas didn't have that run of SBs with the Triplets...would JJ even be in consideration? That Herschel Walker trade was all Jimmy Johnson...not JJ so how much influence did JJ even have on those SB wins? I just don't see how JJ is HoF worthy. I think there are many more contributors more deserving than him.
                Last edited by broncos SB2010; 08-06-2017, 12:52 PM.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                  pretty much your whole argument....and the ones I have heard elsewhere all deal with $.....increasing the value of teams and the league. I have to question is that enough? Can owners actually buy their way into the HoF? He wasn't like guys like Al Davis and Lamar Hunt who actually helped make the league and shape it into what it is today.


                  ....and if Dallas didn't have that run of SBs with the Triplets...would JJ even be in consideration? That Herschel Walker trade was all Jimmy Johnson...not JJ so how much influence did JJ even have on those SB wins? I just don't see how JJ is HoF worthy. I think there are many more contributors more deserving than him.
                  No, he wasn't like Al Davis or Lamar Hunt, that much we agree on, and nobody will ever be like those guys. Al Davis was an original and I say that with the utmost respect. But the thing is, the league has grown substantially and with it, bureaucracy. So many regulations now that it's hard to get much done as a single organization/person. Jerry Jones may not speak to the heart of pure football fans in ways Lamar Hunt did but that doesn't mean he didn't help the league tremendously. He did, that's a fact.

                  Jerry would still be in consideration but not as a slam dunk. You need to have both things to make it in as early as he did. I also disagree with the notion some have made that Pat Bowlen has waited too long. He will get in very soon and it will have been quite a short wait compared to most others. If he gets in within the next two years, the committee will have gotten it right, imo.

                  Something I wanted to bring up in my other post so I'm glad you mentioned it. There are abso-freaking-lutely other contributors deserving of making it in as well. That was never my point. I was just trying to explain why I think Jerry Jones' enshrinement is in order (and I don't like the guy).
                  Last edited by BroncosDivision; 08-06-2017, 02:32 PM.
                  Adopted Poster
                  AZ Snake Fan

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                    pretty much your whole argument....and the ones I have heard elsewhere all deal with $.....increasing the value of teams and the league. I have to question is that enough? Can owners actually buy their way into the HoF? He wasn't like guys like Al Davis and Lamar Hunt who actually helped make the league and shape it into what it is today.


                    ....and if Dallas didn't have that run of SBs with the Triplets...would JJ even be in consideration? That Herschel Walker trade was all Jimmy Johnson...not JJ so how much influence did JJ even have on those SB wins? I just don't see how JJ is HoF worthy. I think there are many more contributors more deserving than him.
                    Didn't he hire Jimmy? Without that move, DAL doesn't win
                    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                      Didn't he hire Jimmy? Without that move, DAL doesn't win
                      ...so hiring a good coach is what it takes to be a HoF ownwer?
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                        ...so hiring a good coach is what it takes to be a HoF ownwer?
                        He was a big part of helping the NFL grow as a company and also made moves within his own organization to grow his own brand. He fired then coach Tom Landry (which was their only coach ever). He then brought in a college coach and built the team that won 3 SBs. He took a team that was bottom feeders and built them into the most valuable franchise in all of sports WORLDWIDE. His induction is more on business acumen than on field contributions. And that still deserves HOF consideration.
                        Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
                          He was a big part of helping the NFL grow as a company and also made moves within his own organization to grow his own brand. He fired then coach Tom Landry (which was their only coach ever). He then brought in a college coach and built the team that won 3 SBs. He took a team that was bottom feeders and built them into the most valuable franchise in all of sports WORLDWIDE. His induction is more on business acumen than on field contributions. And that still deserves HOF consideration.
                          so again...you are saying an owner can buy his way into the HoF. Make enough $ for the league and you are in consideration for the Hall?
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                            so again...you are saying an owner can buy his way into the HoF. Make enough $ for the league and you are in consideration for the Hall?
                            The NFL is a business so generating revenue is one of the most important things they look for

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                              The NFL is a business so generating revenue is one of the most important things they look for
                              I just don't see that as being HoF material...
                              sigpic

                              Comment


                              • A True Hero. TD was the last piece to the puzzle.

                                There's no question TD is a tremendous part of Broncos history, you can't tell the history of the Broncos without TD. The ALL TIME Post Season Rusher. League MVP, Super Bowl MVP, 2000 Yard Rusher, IS HOF material.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X