Terrell Davis Officially In The Pro Football Hall Of Fame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I just don't see that as being HoF material...
    What should an owner have on his resume?
    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

• Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
      I for one think he should at least have ownership of an NFL team. That's the first obstacle.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
        Well, take a look at the owners who are in the HOF. It's a mixed group and it calls into question how candidates are nominated and elected.

Three owners were inducted in 1963: Bert Bell (Eagles); Tim Mara (Giants); and George Preston Marshall (Redskins)

IMO the only HOF Marshall deserves to be a part of is one for racism and bigotry. He was responsible for the NFL banning African-American players for over ten years and had to be threatened by the government before he signed a black player.

Dan Reeves (not the coach) was inducted in 1967. When he moved the Rams from Cleveland to L.A. in 1946, he was required by the city to sign African-American players. He signed UCLA teammates Kenny Washington and Woody Strode.

Art Rooney (Steelers) was inducted in 1964; Charles Bidwill (Cardinals) was inducted with Reeves in 1967.

IMO the greatest owners thus far inducted into the HOF are Lamar Hunt '72 (Texans/Chiefs) and Al Davis '92 (Raiders) Hunt founded the AFL and Davis forced the NFL to merge. The AFL changed the way pro football was played and many things we take for granted now were innovations by the AFL. If it wasn't for Hunt and Davis' work with the AFL, pro football would be a pale shadow of today's game.

Since then, other owners inducted are: Wellington Mara '97 (Giants); Dan Rooney '00 (Steelers); Ralph Wilson ''09 (Bills); Eddie DeBartolo '16; and, Jerry Jones '17. I don't include George Halas and Curly Lambeau in this group because they were players and coaches as well as owners. Their achievements as coaches far outshine their accomplishments as owners. Al Davis did coach, but his greatest contribution was as owner (managing general partner for a while) and AFL Commissioner.

Jerry Jones' accomplishments are pretty ordinary and nondescript when compared with Hunt and Davis, who are the gold standard IMO, but he also pales in comparison to the Maras and the Rooneys. One could argue that Jerry Jones bought his way into the HOF, but that requires delineating the relationship between the HOF and the NFL.

Terrell Davis made a good case for Pat and Annabel Bowlen for the HOF. They represent a very human approach to NFL ownership and I hope Pat is inducted next year. If so, I hope he gets to enjoy it some way somehow.
        Last edited by samparnell; 08-08-2017, 07:18 PM.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          Well, take a look at the owners who are in the HOF. It's a mixed group and it calls into question how candidates are nominated and elected.

Three owners were inducted in 1963: Bert Bell (Eagles); Tim Mara (Giants); and George Preston Marshall (Redskins)

IMO the only HOF Marshall deserves to be a part of is one for racism and bigotry. He was responsible for the NFL banning African-American players for over ten years and had to be threatened by the government before he signed a black player.

Dan Reeves (not the coach) was inducted in 1967. When he moved the Rams from Cleveland to L.A. in 1946, he was required by the city to sign African-American players. He signed UCLA teammates Kenny Washington and Woody Strode.

Art Rooney (Steelers) was inducted in 1964; Charles Bidwill (Cardinals) was inducted with Reeves in 1967.

IMO the greatest owners thus far inducted into the HOF are Lamar Hunt '72 (Texans/Chiefs) and Al Davis '92 (Raiders) Hunt founded the AFL and Davis forced the NFL to merge. The AFL changed the way pro football was played and many things we take for granted now were innovations by the AFL. If it wasn't for Hunt and Davis' work with the AFL, pro football would be a pale shadow of today's game.

Since then, other owners inducted are: Wellington Mara '97 (Giants); Dan Rooney '00 (Steelers); Ralph Wilson ''09 (Bills); Eddie DeBartolo '16; and, Jerry Jones '17. I don't include George Halas and Curly Lambeau in this group because they were players and coaches as well as owners. Their achievements as coaches far outshine their accomplishments as owners. Al Davis did coach, but his greatest contribution was as owner (managing general partner for a while) and AFL Commissioner.

Jerry Jones' accomplishments are pretty ordinary and nondescript when compared with Hunt and Davis, who are the gold standard IMO, but he also pales in comparison to the Maras and the Rooneys. One could argue that Jerry Jones bought his way into the HOF, but that requires delineating the relationship between the HOF and the NFL.

Terrell Davis made a good case for Pat and Annabel Bowlen for the HOF. They represent a very human approach to NFL ownership and I hope Pat is inducted next year. If so, I hope he gets to enjoy it some way somehow.
          Thx Sam. Much better said than I could have done myself. 100% agree....must spread rep around...
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Al Davis was a coach as well, AFL commissioner for a year, Raiders GM, was a pioneer in civil rights and the Rooney rule should actually be called the Al Davis rule, because he was the leader in hiring minority coaches, and had the first female football executive. And frankly he was the one owner who never hesitated to stand up to the NFL. As much as I dislike the Raiders and the Crypt Keeper, there's absolutely no doubt that he was truly a person who deserves to be enshrined in the HOF.

I'm really not sure why Eddie DeBartlo is in the HOF? He owned the team while they won championships, but he isn't notable for anything else in the NFL. I guess he paves the way for Bob Kraft, who's most remarkable thing as owner was not firing Bill Belichick and then allowing him to do whatever he wanted after that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
              I'm really not sure why Eddie DeBartlo is in the HOF? He owned the team while they won championships, but he isn't notable for anything else in the NFL.
              He's notable for something else...having to step down from team ownership because of gambling ties. How in the world this guy winds up in the hall of a sport where the owners are scared to death of anything related to gambling is beyond me. Just another reason the 9ers are my most hated team in all of professional sports
              "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
              PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
              LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
                I don't think Louis Wright, Tom Nalen and Lionel Taylor should be enshrined. Same with Rod Smith and Karl Mecklenburg but needless to say, that's just my opinion. It really doesn't matter to me that players from other franchises have made it in with equal or lesser credentials. Two wrongs don't make a right. I want Hall of Fame to mean something and not be a watered down version of its former self by allowing the inclusion of a bunch of former very good (but not truly great) players.

True indeed, DeMarcus Ware and Peyton spent the majority of their careers playing on other teams but that's not to say their time with the Broncos didn't mean something, in fact, I'd say they very much did seeing as they both accomplished something special for this franchise and I'd argue that a lot of Broncos fans will be happy to see them enshrined – thus being the reason why I mentioned them in the same breath.
                Louis Wright was a great CB and during his career was considered one of the two best CBs in the NFL during his career along with Mike Haynes, who is in the Hall.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
                  I don't think Louis Wright, Tom Nalen and Lionel Taylor should be enshrined. Same with Rod Smith and Karl Mecklenburg but needless to say, that's just my opinion. It really doesn't matter to me that players from other franchises have made it in with equal or lesser credentials. Two wrongs don't make a right. I want Hall of Fame to mean something and not be a watered down version of its former self by allowing the inclusion of a bunch of former very good (but not truly great) players.

True indeed, DeMarcus Ware and Peyton spent the majority of their careers playing on other teams but that's not to say their time with the Broncos didn't mean something, in fact, I'd say they very much did seeing as they both accomplished something special for this franchise and I'd argue that a lot of Broncos fans will be happy to see them enshrined – thus being the reason why I mentioned them in the same breath.
                  Louis Wright should be in the hall, he was a shutdown CB in that era. John Madden said himself he wouldn't test him. If a HOF coach has that much respect for you then that should say something.

Lionel Taylor led the AFL in receptions for the first 6 years it existed (all with Denver) and is the first receiver in the NFL to have 100 receptions and he did what he did in 14 game seasons. Different era so the stats aren't as gaudy but he's definitely worthy, but the win loss numbers are the only reason he isn't in.

Tom Nalen should definitely get in. His resume is every good as some of these centers that will get in soon such as Kevin Mawae and Olin Kreutz.

I can see the arguments against Smith and Mecklenburg but theyre tricky cases. Mecklenburg had 78.5 sacks and 1100+ tackles as an ILB. And Rod Smith retired as the greatest undrafted WR ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                    Louis Wright should be in the hall, he was a shutdown CB in that era. John Madden said himself he wouldn't test him. If a HOF coach has that much respect for you then that should say something.

Lionel Taylor led the AFL in receptions for the first 6 years it existed (all with Denver) and is the first receiver in the NFL to have 100 receptions and he did what he did in 14 game seasons. Different era so the stats aren't as gaudy but he's definitely worthy, but the win loss numbers are the only reason he isn't in.

Tom Nalen should definitely get in. His resume is every good as some of these centers that will get in soon such as Kevin Mawae and Olin Kreutz.

I can see the arguments against Smith and Mecklenburg but theyre tricky cases. Mecklenburg had 78.5 sacks and 1100+ tackles as an ILB. And Rod Smith retired as the greatest undrafted WR ever.
                    Right. Lionel Taylor and Frank Tripucka were on the leading edge of the kind of passing production associated with the current game. As you have pointed out, it was a fourteen game season then. In his seven years in Denver, Lionel caught 543 passes for 6872 yards and 44 TDs. 1962 was the only non-losing season in the first thirteen years of the Broncos. Denver led the AFL in passing offense that year. Lionel definitely deserves to be in the HOF as a pioneer in the passing game.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• IMO, Karl Mecklenburg and Dennis Smith should also be in the HOF. They were the best players on defense for a defensive orientated team that went to 3 out of 4 Superbowls.

Comment

Working...
                      X