Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any "Sleepers" On the Roster?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    I think Demarcus Walker has the potential to be as good/better than Malik but not for 1-3 years. It took Malik 3-4 years to get to where he was ... I wouldn't be surprised to see Walker get there in 2nd/3rd year, and maybe better stats even. Just from my crystal ball which isn't very good.

    Somebody mentioned Tyrique Jarret - Rich C maybe? - I like the chance he has but it looks like maybe he is at least a year away from seriously contending for a roster spot, and that's IF he progresses. It seems he may need to really get committed to playing football; he didn't actually play or do a whole lot in college. 2015 - eight starts in 12 games, 20 tackles, seven for loss, and two sacks - 2016 as a senior nose tackle (30 tackles, 1.5 for loss, sack). Never played in more than 44 percent of his team's defensive snaps while at Pitt.
    I don't think he has any real chance at starting this season so he would be primarily battling Kyle Peko for a spot on the roster. I see him most likely making the PS and possibly seriously competing at NT next season, IF he seriously commits himself to playing football.

    Chad Kelly could be a "sleeper" ... I think the Broncos will do what they can to keep rights to him for the 2017 season (IR or PUP?); he might not be a player they want to expose to waivers to get him on the PS? I hope he doesn't have a chance next season to seriously compete at QB because of one of the QBs we have played too well this season.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
      I think Demarcus Walker has the potential to be as good/better than Malik but not for 1-3 years. It took Malik 3-4 years to get to where he was ... I wouldn't be surprised to see Walker get there in 2nd/3rd year, and maybe better stats even. Just from my crystal ball which isn't very good.

      Somebody mentioned Tyrique Jarret - Rich C maybe? - I like the chance he has but it looks like maybe he is at least a year away from seriously contending for a roster spot, and that's IF he progresses. It seems he may need to really get committed to playing football; he didn't actually play or do a whole lot in college. 2015 - eight starts in 12 games, 20 tackles, seven for loss, and two sacks - 2016 as a senior nose tackle (30 tackles, 1.5 for loss, sack). Never played in more than 44 percent of his team's defensive snaps while at Pitt.
      I don't think he has any real chance at starting this season so he would be primarily battling Kyle Peko for a spot on the roster. I see him most likely making the PS and possibly seriously competing at NT next season, IF he seriously commits himself to playing football.

      Chad Kelly could be a "sleeper" ... I think the Broncos will do what they can to keep rights to him for the 2017 season (IR or PUP?); he might not be a player they want to expose to waivers to get him on the PS? I hope he doesn't have a chance next season to seriously compete at QB because of one of the QBs we have played too well this season.
      Just because Kelly may get a chance to seriously compete next wouldn't necessarily mean the other QBs played poorly this coming season.....it could just mean he is looking that good.....which would be a good thing.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
        Just because Kelly may get a chance to seriously compete next wouldn't necessarily mean the other QBs played poorly this coming season.....it could just mean he is looking that good.....which would be a good thing.
        I can agree that would be a good thing. But I am also wanting to be positive for this season, maybe extremely positive:lombardi: to the point that the QBs we have - or at least one - play so well there is no need to seriously look at Kelly. OTOH maybe it is still good to keep the QB position a little open no matter how well the QBs play/succeed?
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
          As a rookie and that consistently, I doubt it. But if he can provide bursts of that production, I'll take it.
          Malik wasnt nearly as good as DW in college and he's gone back to radio silent without studs around him. DW will feast on many 1 on 1 match ups making him look as good if not better than the top draft pick.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by SaltySnipes View Post
            Malik wasnt nearly as good as DW in college and he's gone back to radio silent without studs around him. DW will feast on many 1 on 1 match ups making him look as good if not better than the top draft pick.
            I'm not sure if that will be too hard. I don't think Garrett is going to live up to his draft hype. There is no way I would have taken him #1 overall and I don't think he was even the best pass rusher in the draft.


            I also think your staement of "radio silent" is a little exaggeration. Malik had 6.5 sacks last year which is tied for 5th among interior Dlinemen and the #1 interior Dlieman only had 9. Malik also had 4 pass defensed...5th on the team. He had a solid season for the Jags....
            Last edited by broncos SB2010; 07-17-2017, 04:37 PM.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #51
              Connor McGovern could be a "sleeper" this season? He has a possibility to take the starting spot at G if Garcia struggles. I think he is at least a virtual lock to make the final 53. He has increased his value by getting most of the reps at C while Paradis was recovering from hip surgery allowing him to be considered the primary backup at all 3 interior OL positions. I will be interesting to see if Garcia can hold onto a starting spot at G.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                Connor McGovern could be a "sleeper" this season? He has a possibility to take the starting spot at G if Garcia struggles. I think he is at least a virtual lock to make the final 53. He has increased his value by getting most of the reps at C while Paradis was recovering from hip surgery allowing him to be considered the primary backup at all 3 interior OL positions. I will be interesting to see if Garcia can hold onto a starting spot at G.
                If Denver's rushing attack ends up being predominantly angle blocked, the general rule of thumb is that the Center and right side need to be the best down blockers and the Left Guard needs to be a better puller than RG. That may be why Leary is being tried at RG. Garcia has done some pulling, but McGovern and Turner are in the mix, too.

                When playing against an odd front with a nasty 0 tech, a Center who can block him without any help is a plus. The evaluation of Paradis and McGovern as down blockers and one-on-one with a NT may turn out to be interesting. McGovern has been repping at C since last season which didn't seem like a vote of confidence in Ferentz who is a zone blocker. If they do go more angle blocks, the decision at C may not be a foregone conclusion.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  If Denver's rushing attack ends up being predominantly angle blocked, the general rule of thumb is that the Center and right side need to be the best down blockers and the Left Guard needs to be a better puller than RG. That may be why Leary is being tried at RG. Garcia has done some pulling, but McGovern and Turner are in the mix, too.

                  When playing against an odd front with a nasty 0 tech, a Center who can block him without any help is a plus. The evaluation of Paradis and McGovern as down blockers and one-on-one with a NT may turn out to be interesting. McGovern has been repping at C since last season which didn't seem like a vote of confidence in Ferentz who is a zone blocker. If they do go more angle blocks, the decision at C may not be a foregone conclusion.
                  Yes, McGovern did set numerous records in the weight room at Mizzou, he may be more suited/stronger than Paradis to angle block a NT one-on-one.
                  I wonder how good Paradis might be pulling?
                  I'm looking forward to the battles on the OL this TC, these battles could be very beneficial increasing the competition resulting in a better OL than expected?

                  I'm considering visiting TC on 7/31 and hoping to see the OL compete.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    How many more years is Bennie Fowler's name appearing on this list? Haha

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Bterres105 View Post
                      How many more years is Bennie Fowler's name appearing on this list? Haha
                      and Cody Latimer and Virgil Green and Jeff Heuerman
                      Superbowl 50 Champions!

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                        and Cody Latimer and Virgil Green and Jeff Heuerman
                        Don't think Huerman fits this list quite like the others.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
                          Don't think Huerman fits this list quite like the others.
                          Cody Lat could have a break out year with Paxton. They seem to have solid chemistry. Green is a great unsong hero, we all know this.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
                            Don't think Huerman fits this list quite like the others.
                            That's fair, he showed promise last season. Just needs more receptions
                            Superbowl 50 Champions!

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                              That's fair, he showed promise last season. Just needs more receptions
                              I know. I just meant because he's only had one year of it. I wouldn't count his rookie year since he was done before training camp.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
                                I know. I just meant because he's only had one year of it. I wouldn't count his rookie year since he was done before training camp.
                                yeah. The problem last year seemed that he had trouble getting separation and as a result being targeted. And being used as a blocker, which doesn't seem to suit his skill set. But at least when he did get receptions, he got big gains from them.

                                while we're on the topic of sleeper tight ends, I think the most ready TE for our offense we have is AJ Derby. I think he's going to lead our TE group in receptions and TDs
                                Superbowl 50 Champions!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X