No announcement yet.

Predicting the 53, Projected IR and PS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if I clearly understand PUP/IR, so if I need correction, let me know.

If I'm not mistaken, two can return from IR and they don't need to be designated. Guys who get hurt in preseason/TC would be IR candidates. Besides Carlos Henderson and Billy Winn, who would that be?

I think preseason PUP includes Kyle Peko, Shaquil Barrett, Shane Ray, Devontae Booker, Jake Butt and Chad Kelly. They could all go on the regular season PUP list, I believe, but they will probably want Shane Ray on the roster.

I think we'll see some IR and PUP guys and some of them will rejoin the roster during the season. We just can't tell how it will go yet.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      Not sure if I clearly understand PUP/IR, so if I need correction, let me know.

If I'm not mistaken, two can return from IR and they don't need to be designated. Guys who get hurt in preseason/TC would be IR candidates. Besides Carlos Henderson and Billy Winn, who would that be?

I think preseason PUP includes Kyle Peko, Shaquil Barrett, Shane Ray, Devontae Booker, Jake Butt and Chad Kelly. They could all go on the regular season PUP list, I believe, but they will probably want Shane Ray on the roster.

I think we'll see some IR and PUP guys and some of them will rejoin the roster during the season. We just can't tell how it will go yet.
      Ray practiced the first day of camp, so he''s not eligible for the PUP list, only players who were designated as that prior to the start of camp can be eligible for the regular season PUP list.

Comment

Originally posted by kona bronco View Post
        My problem with PUP vice IR is who gets cut when Kelly, Butts and Peko come off the PUP. I guess Peko takes Winn roster spot. Butt can replace one of the seven wide receivers I have but now we need to clear room for Kelly. Let Butt, Kelly, Henderson, Winn and Peko fully recover and be a force next year.
        The benefit of the PUP list is that there's a 3 week window where the players on that list can practice without counting against the 53. But in order to play they need to be activated and a roster move made. At the end of the 3 week window the player either needs to be activated or placed on IR.

So Kelly, Butts and Peko would all get the chance to practice and they could determine over those 3 weeks whether they want to activate them or place them on IR.

If a player is just put on IR then they're not allowed to practice with the team at any point in the season.

So the PUP list makes more sense to me than straight IR, even though that's where they may end up.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
          The benefit of the PUP list is that there's a 3 week window where the players on that list can practice without counting against the 53. But in order to play they need to be activated and a roster move made. At the end of the 3 week window the player either needs to be activated or placed on IR.

So Kelly, Butts and Peko would all get the chance to practice and they could determine over those 3 weeks whether they want to activate them or place them on IR.

If a player is just put on IR then they're not allowed to practice with the team at any point in the season.

So the PUP list makes more sense to me than straight IR, even though that's where they may end up.
          That makes more sense but isn't there two IR with return designations as well?

Comment

Originally posted by kona bronco View Post
            That makes more sense but isn't there two IR with return designations as well?
            Yes, I believe a player needs to spend 6 or 8 weeks on IR before being eligible for that. Keep those for starters that may get hurt early in the season (hopefully they won't be needed) and use the PUP list for the players currently on it, and hopefully Denver doesn't need to activate any of them (except for Barrett) but gets them the practice time they missed in camp.

Comment

Working...
            X