Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just to stir the pot a little, winner of trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NFLN does top 10 things.....They have a top 10 NFL trades. The Champ-Portis trade is on that piece and Denver comes out the victor.

Champ also became the face of the franchise for awhile after the McDaniels debacle and Elway signed him first to restore trust in the fan base. Champ has meant so much more to this team than that AFCCG, imho.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

From a DC's point-of-view, Champ Bailey could single handedly take away the best receiver on one half of the field, leaving the rest of the Secondary/Backers to deal with the other four eligible receivers. If there were two dangerous receivers, Champ could take away one, the other could be doubled, leaving the other three eligible receivers covered by four defenders either zone or man. It was a good example of Combo.

That's what Champ Bailey made possible for Denver's D.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I think the Skins got the better deal but I who really knows.

2005 doesnet happen with out Champ and lets not forget our boy Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell almost went for 2k together. Imagine what Portis could have done that season.

Champ was solid but wasted his prime due to shanahan's crappy drafting.He needed help and dre bly wasnt the answer.

2005,2006,2007 Champ owned the NFL. His decline IMO started with injury in 2008.

Comment

Portis might have been a cancer in the locker room, and no team needs that. The only thing that I liked about him, was that he was a wrestling fan
          Last edited by HUMCALC; 08-07-2017, 04:43 PM.
          "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
            Portis might have been a cancer in the locker room, and no team needs that. The only thing that I liked about him, was that he was a wrestling fan
            I loved his costumes and characters.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Just adding this in... We got Tatum Bell with the 2nd Rounder we received in this trade.

The Redskins got...
              the #4 best rusher in the league in 2005 (1,516yds, 4.13 yd avg, 11TDs)

We got...
              Champ Bailey - Top 5 Corner all time, first ballot HOFer, Cornerstone of our defense for years
              Tatum Bell - #19 best rusher in the league AS A ROOKIE in 2005 (921 yds, 5.31 yd avg, 8TDs)
              -And he earned all of those yds and TD's behind Mike Anderson, who was #16 in the league

IMO we clearly won this trade getting a HOFer and replacing Portis with two top 20 backs (With more productive yardage and stats than Portis if you put them together)

Just my two cents!
              sigpic
              ******** Adopt a Bronco 2019 | #70 Ja'wuan James :thumb: ********
              ***** Adopt a Bronco 2017-18 | #72 Garett Bolles *****

Comment

Ditto! His characters were the best!
                sigpic
                ******** Adopt a Bronco 2019 | #70 Ja'wuan James :thumb: ********
                ***** Adopt a Bronco 2017-18 | #72 Garett Bolles *****

Comment

I'm sure we all remember back in the mid-1980s when Joe Williams, of the Irv and Joe Show, was recommending we trade John Elway for Eric Dickerson. From a longevity perspective, it's hard to go with a runningback.

Comment

without champ, we dont make it past brady like we did.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
                      Denver absolutely fleeced Washington. I can't believe this is even a topic. Denver acquired one of the 5 best CBs of all time for a very good back, but one who will never even sniff Canton. And no, he was not the next Barry Sanders if he remained in Denver. As far as the 2005 AFC title game, we lost that game mainly because Big Ben was much better than Jake Plummer. Washington even threw in a 2nd round pick to boot. Frankly, as far as big NFL trades go, this one was completely lopsided in Denver's favor.
                      Plummer had the flu and played anyway, our defense was napping in the end zone (and missing Al Wilson). Pittsburg seemed to be a team of destiny that year, Bettis fumbled the ball against the Colts and Ben saved a sure TD game ender with a shoestring tackle.

Refs gave them the SB etc. Not really sour grapes, just basically hate the Steelers...to death!

Plummer and Champ deserved a lot better from Shanny GM wise and HC both. JMHO
                      [sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
                        Plummer had the flu and played anyway, our defense was napping in the end zone (and missing Al Wilson). Pittsburg seemed to be a team of destiny that year, Bettis fumbled the ball against the Colts and Ben saved a sure TD game ender with a shoestring tackle.

Refs gave them the SB etc. Not really sour grapes, just basically hate the Steelers...to death!

Plummer and Champ deserved a lot better from Shanny GM wise and HC both. JMHO
                        That loss is still one of the more painful ones in Broncos history. I remember how happy I was when Pittsburgh beat the Colts because that meant the AFC title game would be in Denver. It also saved us from a probable beatdown in Indy.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
                          That loss is still one of the more painful ones in Broncos history. I remember how happy I was when Pittsburgh beat the Colts because that meant the AFC title game would be in Denver. It also saved us from a probable beatdown in Indy.
                          Agreed - Peyton always lit us up but one time. that was Quentin Griffin's breakout game too.

Comment

As trades go, it's easy to say the Broncos won this one.

However, it might be one that both teams lost.

I think Shanahan might have been a little too full of himself in thinking he could replace Portis. Portis had the potential to replicate or even surpass Terrell Davis in the same offense.
                            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                            You Mad Bro?
                            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                              As trades go, it's easy to say the Broncos won this one.

However, it might be one that both teams lost.

I think Shanahan might have been a little too full of himself in thinking he could replace Portis. Portis had the potential to replicate or even surpass Terrell Davis in the same offense.
                              He very well could have been.

But after trading Champ for Portis - the Broncos continued to put out 1000 yard rushers.

First with the unknown FB named Ruben Droughns 27h att for 1240yds.

And then the next year with almost two 1000 yard rushers in Mike Anderson 239att 1013yards and Tatum Belll 173att 921yards.

Granted, these players had nowhere near the potential or skillet that Portis had....

Comment

This isn't even close. Clinton Portis had 3 good years followed by a ton of injuries.

Champ had 6 great years with Denver and is a future HOFer.

I would take the future HOFer at any position over 3 good rushing years.

Comment

Working...
                                X