Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just to stir the pot a little, winner of trade?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Peerless View Post
    He very well could have been.


    But after trading Champ for Portis - the Broncos continued to put out 1000 yard rushers.

    First with the unknown FB named Ruben Droughns 27h att for 1240yds.

    And then the next year with almost two 1000 yard rushers in Mike Anderson 239att 1013yards and Tatum Belll 173att 921yards.

    Granted, these players had nowhere near the potential or skillet that Portis had....
    I think the point is that rb was easier to replace, at the time, than the impact that Champ had to completely smother 1 side of the field. In my opinion.

    Comment


    • #32
      Champ made offensive coordinators have to game plan around him. They had to not only be sure to try and get their number 1 away from him, but to also not run any routes near him as he would break off his man for the pick. In that 2006 season he played the position as well as anyone ever.

      On the other side, there's a lot that Portis had over Anderson and Bell, but I'm not sure that he alone forced the other team to change the way they played the Broncos like Champ, Von, Elway, Davis, and Manning did to teams.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
        This isn't even close. Clinton Portis had 3 good years followed by a ton of injuries.

        Champ had 6 great years with Denver and is a future HOFer.

        I would take the future HOFer at any position over 3 good rushing years.
        Portis had 6 good rushing years, he only had 3 bad seasons that were all cut short by injury.

        Comment


        • #34
          then Champ would not have been there to intercept Brady and run 99 yards the other way (too bad he got knocked out by Ben Watson who I think made a more spectacular play than Champ), and Brady scores, the Pats win, play Pittsburgh and beat them, and the Seahawks would have lost twice to NE in the Superbowl to date!

          Either way, Broncos don't go to Superbowl.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Brady6 View Post
            then Champ would not have been there to intercept Brady and run 99 yards the other way (too bad he got knocked out by Ben Watson who I think made a more spectacular play than Champ), and Brady scores, the Pats win, play Pittsburgh and beat them, and the Seahawks would have lost twice to NE in the Superbowl to date!

            Either way, Broncos don't go to Superbowl.
            Yeah, always good to beat the Pats in the playoffs, which we're used to. No AFC team has done better against Brady and Belichick than Denver.
            Last edited by gerontion; 08-09-2017, 06:52 PM.

            Comment


            • #36
              6 of 1, Half dozen of the other.

              Comment


              • #37
                Champ did not participate in the last championship, but he contributed, and still continues to contribute through the young players he mentored. I think Chris Harris would acknowledge the impact champ had in his development. I like Clinton, but the way Champ played and carried himself made me proud to be a Bronco Fan. I can not imagine the Broncos without him. That being said, we got a bargain.
                Waiting to hear from adoption agency

                Comment


                • #38
                  Obviously we "won" when looking backwards-- Champ was one of the best corners to ever play the game. His legacy has also set a high bar for future DBs in Denver, and contributed to the development of CHJ-- will fans ever settle for the pre-Bailey days of a really mediocre secondary? Remember those old Indy games when Manning would tear us up because we decided Roc Alexander should match up with Reggie Wayne?

                  Of course, it is unfortunate that we never really had a stud, franchise RB since Portis. I think he would have had a great career if he stayed in Denver. I liked him and he carried our offense for a couple years.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Let's say both players came out in the draft again as 21 year old players. And the entire league knew exactly who they were and what they were capable of.

                    Champ could very well be the #1 pick. And I have a lot of trouble seeing him on the board past pick #5.

                    Portis, on the other hand, I could easily picture being available in the 3rd round.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
                      Let's say both players came out in the draft again as 21 year old players. And the entire league knew exactly who they were and what they were capable of.

                      Champ could very well be the #1 pick. And I have a lot of trouble seeing him on the board past pick #5.

                      Portis, on the other hand, I could easily picture being available in the 3rd round.
                      No way Portis lasts that long. If you redo their careers, injuries are guaranteed to be the exact same thing. Butterfly effect would mean that the right situations took place for that to happen.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
                        No way Portis lasts that long. If you redo their careers, injuries are guaranteed to be the exact same thing. Butterfly effect would mean that the right situations took place for that to happen.
                        Where do you think he'd be drafted in today's draft?

                        A lot of people in this thread way overvalue the RB position, and way overvalue how good Portis actually was.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Broncos and its very one sided.

                          We lost nothing at RB we lead the league in rushing 2005 and we got a HOFer /and all pro while Washington got a fool who had a side job as a RB and a huge hit to their salary cap.
                          Originally posted by baphamet
                          are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
                            Where do you think he'd be drafted in today's draft?

                            A lot of people in this thread way overvalue the RB position, and way overvalue how good Portis actually was.
                            First off. Let me clarify that I'd take champ over Portis in a heartbeat. I don't even think this is a tough question because even if we could have used Portis, the Redskins did next to nothing with him. That alone makes it tough for them to be considered the victor. We made it to a conference championship in large part because of Champ. Therefore, we win in my opinion.

                            But, considering fournette was taken 4th overall, McCaffrey taken 8th, Dalvin Cook taken beginning of 2nd round and Joe Mixon in the second round as well. There is no way Portis lasts until the third round. Not that those are bad prospects. But, it shows that teams are still picking rb's in the first and second round. Portis isn't going that late. The dude had 1,500 plus yards in his first two seasons in the league.
                            Last edited by ksubroncosfan; 08-12-2017, 10:24 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              Broncos and its very one sided.

                              We lost nothing at RB we lead the league in rushing 2005 and we got a HOFer /and all pro while Washington got a fool who had a side job as a RB and a huge hit to their salary cap.
                              His other side job was TV commercials pitching used cars

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                I think it was mentioned that Portis could have helped the Broncos win the AFC championship vs. Steelers. It's hypothetical however the Steelers had a top run defense that year (3rd?). We'll never know because Portis didn't play but not sure he would have made a difference.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X