No announcement yet.

At some point we have to start questioning Elway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree. Putting some constraints on Elway could be good.

Maybe he has limited input on draft decisions. Or maybe he has no hire/fire power on coaches. Maybe Joe Ellis should select the next coach.

I think we have quite a ways to go before we're the Cleveland Browns, though. I don't even think we're nearly as bad as we were in McDaniels' final year. Our record may be worse, but our overall roster is way stronger.

1 good draft and a good coaching change is all it will take to get us back in contention. I'm a bit perplexed why people are getting angry with each loss at this point. Every loss gets us closer to the #3 pick.

I don't think anyone here thinks Elway is doing a great job right now. I think if you painted a more even-handed picture, people would buy into your message pretty quick. Just my take on it.

Also...sorry for the John Bowlen cheap shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by MH Stampede View Post
      Thing is..until just the last couple of months......we did.
      Speak for yourself. Since the 2015 season I have been one of the more vocal fans on the forum pointing out the long-term danger Elway's poor drafting posss to the organization. But Elway's poor drafting was just his most glaring flaw. There have been many others to present themselves since Peyton left.

Comment

• Originally posted by Endaround View Post
        Nicest car at the crash up derby. Again.
        Yup let's blame every coach that keeps coming to Denver and not the players Elway is putting on the field
        -Bronco in UT

While I both agree and disagree with many posts in this thread I have to lean towards champ on this one. Jay really needs to learn how to manage the game better, and also to learn that you don't have to go for the big play EVERY time on every drive. There is something to be said to check the ball down and live to fight another day. -Great Post Cut the Excuses out please. sigh...

Helll of a post

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
          Some of you will just never get it...

Yes you are because you've already stated in this particular thread that I've called for his head when I have in fact have not done no such thing.

And I am to acknowledging the accomplishments he has made for this organization but I'm weighing that against what he is doing now (not yesterday) to this team.

I'm sure he understands that his actions are in fact destroying this organization at a rapid rate and that is why Kubiak was brought back to the scouting department.

However We do not have the luxury of giving him another season, have you not realized that we are quickly becoming the Cleveland Browns?

Somebody in this organization needs to step in and relieve him of certain duties. No and again for the one millionth time I am not saying he needs to be dismissed. I'm saying they need to relieve him if certain duties.

What is bothering me is the fact that I cannot say any of this without you guys coming in here and defending him with sarcasm "oh yeah let's let john Bowlen run the team from his jail cell". How mature is that statement? Made from none other than you.

Elway is in fact guilty and your quoted post above is an admission of that. True fans will speak their mind and they will not stand around and watch him turn us into the Cleveland Browns.
          Oh come on. The browns? Really?

The browns have more losing seasons in the last 7 seasons (elway's tenure), than the Broncos have had in the last 45.

This kind of thing is why you catch flack..that is a patently ridiculous comparison.

Are we having a bad year? Absolutely.

Have we had 10 consecutive losing seasons?

That, is really off the deep end kind of hyperbole.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
            Speak for yourself. Since the 2015 season I have been one of the more vocal fans on the forum pointing out the long-term danger Elway's poor drafting posss to the organization. But Elway's poor drafting was just his most glaring flaw. There have been many others to present themselves since Peyton left.
            To be blunt...yeah Elway could do better drafting. Particularly in the 2-3 rounds.

But overall, he isnt anywhere NEAR as hideously pathetic as many here make it sound.

We get good qb...and most of this trash talking hate disappears.

Thing is, most reasonable fans realize good qb's are downright hard to land. Let alone top tier elite ones. And as a GM, that is his only truly major problem. Getting a top QB.

Except it isnt easy. No matter what the armchair pundits around here seem to believe.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by MH Stampede View Post
              Oh come on. The browns? Really?

The browns have more losing seasons in the last 7 seasons (elway's tenure), than the Broncos have had in the last 45.

This kind of thing is why you catch flack..that is a patently ridiculous comparison.

Are we having a bad year? Absolutely.

Have we had 10 consecutive losing seasons?

That, is really off the deep end kind of hyperbole.
              The hysteria is absurd given the track record, and frankly very exciting football for generations. While this season has a sinking feeling that I did not have with McDaniels where 2010 had a very good draft and any sane person knew that we would have issues on defense once Doom got paid big time and was lost for the season the next week, and the absolutely horrendous injury situation we had going into 2010. The difference then was we knew our defense was thin, Orton generally played really well and it was just that elusive extra TD that was the key issue, and we had a QB in Tebow that came with both concerns and promise. This year we "knew" that we had NFL's best defense and most were sure that our 7th round QB would elevate his game and we "knew" that we were one of the best teams in football.

The worst thing right now is that we know that we have the talent to have an elite defense, but they are playing with no heart. We know that we have the same issues with scoring that we had with Orton and Cutler where there are a lot of good plays out there, but when it comes to imposing the will on the other team there is nothing there. I'd much rather have McDaniels ...beep...moment from the Giants game than our kind understanding from the current regime.

Comment

• Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
                Shannon said it all: Elway has missed on countless draft picks and his only real hit (Von Miller) was in the 2011 draft was stacked!

Not sure if I agree with this. Elway has made some good draft picks besides Von.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                  There is a lot of merit to that statement! Makes me feel a wee bit bad that I even started doubting Elway a tad.

:thumb:
                  Spoiler alert:

It's OK to appreciate Elway for player rings and the GM ring and still question what he is currently doing today.

Comment

• Originally posted by slickrox View Post
                    Apparently John doesn't want to win. Playing his failed first round pick instead of Trevor was a clear indication of his desire to defend the poor decisions made by the front office. We don't have the right people in charge of evaluating talent and have wasted draft picks much like Josh. Long time season ticket holder and I am disgusted with this team. I will still go to all of the home games. That is all.
                    Anyone who says John Elway doesn't want to win doesn't know much about John Elway. He took a horrible team in 2011 and built a Super Bowl contender and Super Bowl winner. What NFL Super Bowl teams have you built? Maybe none? lol
                    You have you right to your opinion, but when you say "John doesn't want to win" you are wrong!!!

Comment

• So tired of negative threads every time I go on the boards. People, this team is not good this year.....deal with it. Next year will be better, that's all we should be saying right now. I love this team too but just like the saying goes....if you're not part of the solution than you're part of the problem. Negative attitude breeds negative outcome. Find a positive and hold onto that

Comment

• This might take the cake for worst thread title and opening statement that I've seen around here. Because it's flat out wrong.

This obviously doesn't apply to everyone but this fan base has become more spoiled than the Patriots. And I'm not even sure how that's possible.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X