By the Numbers: Week One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By the Numbers: Week One

We had a narrow victory Monday against the Chargers. I wanted to start doing another rankings thread like this every week again, hopefully I'll have time to stick to it. Obviously, it's week one. We don't have enough of a sample size to determine where we really are, but it's a good starting point.

Offensively

Total Yards: 15th with 321 yards
    Rushing Yards: 5th with 140 yards.
    Passing Yards: 19th with 181 yards

Scoring: 9th with 24 points
    Touchdowns: 4th with 3
    Rushing TD: 4th with 1 (Ts, you graceful gazelle you!)
    Passing TD: 5th with 2

O-line
    Sacks: 23rd with 4
    QB hits: 26th with 8

Defensively
    Yards:9th with 249 (man, Jacksonville with that #1 defense!)
    Rushing Yards: 10th with 64 yards.
    Rush YPC: 8th with 2.9
    Passing Yards: 13th with 185

Scoring: 16th with 21 points
    Touchdowns: 19th with 3
    Rushing TD: 1st (tie) with 0
    Passing TD: 27th with 3

Sacks: 18th with 1 (good lord the Jags with 10, man I wish we could have convinced Campbell to come here)
    Tackles: 25th with 54 combined tackles.
    Interceptions: 5th with 1

Our Upcoming opponent the Dallas Cowboys
    Offensively
    Total Yards: 4th with 392
    Rushing Yards: 6th with 129
    Passing Yards: 10th with 263

Scoring: 17th with 19 points
    Touchdowns: 21 with 1
    Rushing TD: 16th with 0
    Passing TD: 11th with 1

O-line
    Sacks: 5th with 1
    QB hits: 8th with 3

Defensively
    Yards: 24th with 233 yards
    Rushing Yards: 1 with 35
    Rush YPC: 8 with 2.9
    Passing Yards: 17th with 198

Scoring: 2nd with 3 points
    Touchdowns: 1st with 0
    Rushing TD: 1st with 0
    Passing TD: 1st with 0

Sacks: 10th with 3
    Tackles: 22nd with 55.

Interceptions: 5th with 1

Obviously since only one game has been played, we have to take into account who the opponents were. We obviously faced a chargers team who has only won a handful of games the last two years. The may not be anywhere near as good of a team as the final score implies.

The Cowboys faced a pretty sloppy Giants team, that frankly struggled without OBJ out there. That could inflate some of their rankings, but we know from watching them last year, the Cowboys are a solid team. This is going to be a really good game for week two and could be a solid indicator for where we really are as a team.
    Last edited by Freyaka; 09-13-2017, 12:31 PM.
    sigpic

Key Player stats

Trevor Siemian
    Yards: 19th with 219
    Passing TD: 5th with 2
    Rushing TD: 2nd in the league (rb and QB combined) with 1.

Yards
    Virgil Green 60th with 44
    DT 24th with 67
    Sanders 108th with 26
    Fowler 117th with 21

Passing TD
    Bennie Folwer 1st with 2

Rushing Yards
    CJ Anderson 6th with 81 yards
    Jamaal Charles 24th with 40
    sigpic

Comment

If we can keep up the defensive stats through the season, both run and pass we will easily be ranked in the top 5. I haven't looked back at last season but if we can keep run defense ~ 64 yards I'm pretty sure we would be easily at the top or close to it. I think 185 yards passing defense would also be in the top ... 3? if compared to last season.
      Stats wise overall a solid game. Eliminate the mistakes and it would've been better scoring wise.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
        If we can keep up the defensive stats through the season, both run and pass we will easily be ranked in the top 5. I haven't looked back at last season but if we can keep run defense ~ 64 yards I'm pretty sure we would be easily at the top or close to it. I think 185 yards passing defense would also be in the top ... 3? if compared to last season.
        Stats wise overall a solid game. Eliminate the mistakes and it would've been better scoring wise.
        It'll be interesting seeing where we come out of week 2 sitting. This is going to be a challenge for sure. I think we're up to it, but it's not going to be easy.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
          It'll be interesting seeing where we come out of week 2 sitting. This is going to be a challenge for sure. I think we're up to it, but it's not going to be easy.
          Glad we're at home. It sounds like the injury situation is going to be a lot better on the DL on Sunday, that's a relief. Gotsis and Harris did a good job though, if we can keep all DL fresher we might just be able to handle the Cowboy's run game. It will be interesting to see Dak against our defense, I'm optimistic that we can squeak out another win.
          sigpic

Comment

Glad we're at home. It sounds like the injury situation is going to be a lot better on the DL on Sunday, that's a relief. Gotsis and Harris did a good job though, if we can keep all DL fresher we might just be able to handle the Cowboy's run game. It will be interesting to see Dak against our defense, I'm optimistic that we can squeak out another win.
            Harris is a godsend! Kid deserved a gameball last night. I'm excited to see him develop and I hope even once players come back healthy that he continues to get a lot of playtime. He was really good across the board.
            sigpic

Comment

The story of the game will be on the offense.

https://youtu.be/wjUFHTq1pjs

Comment

Originally posted by YangDaniel027 View Post
                The story of the game will be on the offense.

https://youtu.be/wjUFHTq1pjs
                I'm confident we'll shuffle things a bit and get it squared away by mid-season, but it could have a big impact this week if we don't sort it out quickly.
                sigpic

Comment

Good analysis. Im glad to see offensive improvements with the exception of Oline. I think Bolles needs time but outside of that it continues to be disappointing how bad Elway wiffs on oline. Hopefully Leary only misses one game.

Also defensively they were looking 2015 worthy for 3 quarters and 5 minutes. But when your offense puts you in a bad spot twice in a row in a 24-7 game your bound to give up some chunk yardage. Still pretty good to finish up high in both categories for the week.

We will see what it all means this week against possibly the best team in the NFC.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                    Good analysis. Im glad to see offensive improvements with the exception of Oline. I think Bolles needs time but outside of that it continues to be disappointing how bad Elway wiffs on oline. Hopefully Leary only misses one game.

Also defensively they were looking 2015 worthy for 3 quarters and 5 minutes. But when your offense puts you in a bad spot twice in a row in a 24-7 game your bound to give up some chunk yardage. Still pretty good to finish up high in both categories for the week.

We will see what it all means this week against possibly the best team in the NFC.
                    Well and not to mention, a huge chunk of their offensive production came on one play where Barrett was held in a choke hold. Had he not been held it would have been a sack rather than a deep TD play.
                    sigpic

Comment

Some other interesting stats to add to the original pile (feel free if you find anything to add to it.)

I've got this posted on three different discussion boards I post on. If anyone has any useful stats, such as PFF or whatever other info, feel free to add it. My plan is to cross reference anything anyone adds across the three boards so that we can get some useful information shared around.
                      Last edited by Freyaka; 09-13-2017, 06:08 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well if were not quite up to it yet come Sunday at least we won last week. That means the dern Cowboys aren't our "must win" game they could have been. Loosing to the Cowboys right now will not be frowned upon. But I do hope we can find a way to win this one. That would help alot.

Comment

The "time to throw" 2.40; is that seconds? And is it indicating that 2.40 is the 9th longest this week?
                          If that is the case, being in the top 10 on giving our QB time is actually pretty good. For some reason, I just don't buy it. Trevor was having to get rid the ball very quickly and he accomplished that most of the time.
                          Great QB rating; is that based on the same rating that the NFL gives?
                          Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 09-13-2017, 06:17 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ok, Trevor's NFL QB rating was 94.2. He did average 7.8 yards per pass attempt, that is good/great.
                            sigpic

Comment

The "time to throw" 2.40; is that seconds? And is it indicating that 2.40 is the 9th longest this week?
                              If that is the case, being in the top 10 on giving our QB time is actually pretty good. For some reason, I just don't buy it. Trevor was having to get rid the ball very quickly and he accomplished that most of the time.
                              Great QB rating; is that based on the same rating that the NFL gives?
                              2.4 seconds is really short...The fact that a number that small is 9th goes to show just how much pressure QB's were under this week. It's kind of a testament to how bad o-lines are across the board of late.

*EDIT* Ok so I misunderstood this category, see the correct information in the post below.
                              Last edited by Freyaka; 09-13-2017, 06:37 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X