By the Numbers: Week One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kona bronco View Post
    So I pose this question if Trevor is Throwing the ball that fast is he staring down his receivers? Is that the reason for his 10 interceptions last year?
    10 interceptions last year is a good number, he was behind 19 other QB's in the number of interceptions threw, 10 is not a number to be concerned about, that's about what the average NFL QB throws these days in a season.

Honestly, he doesn't have time to stare anyone down. He makes his decision and reacts. Not a lot of staring you can do in 2 seconds.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
      That first TD throw to Fowler while on the run was highly impressive and Joe Montana-esque. I'd love to see him perform at this level every week. Last week the much-praised and salivated over Kirk Cousins posted a dismal 72.9 QBR with 1 TD, 1 INT, and 2 fumbles that were recovered by the Eagles. An interesting comparison will be between these two QBs because so many of our games will be against similar teams, and of course against each other. I look forward to seeing if Siemian is more of the real deal than Kirk Cousins as time goes on.
      I believe that was the back footed one. He threw the ball on a rope into a tight window off balance on his back foot. That pretty much silenced my questions about the caliber of his arm strength. To be able to throw a ball like that off balance is impressive. To have that much zing on it, that isn't something someone with a supposed noodle arm can do.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CTM View Post
        The important thing for me coming out of week one: We have a QB we can win with.

Trevor is a gamer, and while our offense got somewhat predictable towards the end he was clutch on third downs to extend drives that turned into touchdowns. Not to mention if McManus makes the 50 yarder Trevor set up with a great ball to Green the game doesn't look nearly as close coming down the wire.

I honestly think there is something to be said for the fact that he won a QB competition when no one expected him to, and he won another one when probably a little more than half of everyone observing thought he wouldn't beat out a clearly more physically gifted QB. I think this endears him to players who have also had to fight and claw their way onto a roster and might make them play that much harder.

I know I've said this before but during last season's opener I swore I saw a glimpse of Joe Montana just from the point of view of having nimble feet in the pocket.

Now as I'm sitting here there's something in me that thinks Siemian's coolness under pressure is also very similar to Montana's.

We'll see, it's very early and I expect some bumps in the road here and there but if we can get into the playoffs I would feel very comfortable with Trevor at the helm being capable of leading us all the way.
        I actually kinda take that miss as a blessing in disguise. Because the chargers were only down 3, they were playing to tie. They didn't push into the endzone at all they just basically burned the clock down and kicked. Had we gotten that fieldgoal, they'd have been down six and would have been pushing for a TD which would have cost us the game.

As weird as it is, in retrospect I'm ok with that kick.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
          I believe that was the back footed one. He threw the ball on a rope into a tight window off balance on his back foot. That pretty much silenced my questions about the caliber of his arm strength. To be able to throw a ball like that off balance is impressive. To have that much zing on it, that isn't something someone with a supposed noodle arm can do.
          Hey you leave Manning out of this.
          sigpic

Comment

By the Numbers, let's take a look at Melvin Ingram's fine for the helmet to helmet hit on Trevor Siemian.

Ingram's fine was $24,309 for unnecessary roughness (illegal launching) on hit of Trevor Siemian.

Ingram's salary/total compensation this year is $14,875,000 http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angel...n-ingram-9828/

$24,309 divided by $14,875,000 = 0.16%. Ingram was fined 0.16% of his 2017 salary.

Now, how does that look to everyone else?

Let's say the average person makes $50,000/year. 0.16% x $50,000 = $80. Equivalent to about the average speeding ticket.

So, the affect of the fine on Ingram; who's offense was 'illegal launching' at Quarterback Trevor Siemian's head, was about the same affect the average person gets for going 10-15 mph over the speed limit.

The NFL's commentary about player safety really does not seem to add up 'By the numbers'.

Now fining players a flat fee instead of a percentage of their salary makes more sense and for players making the minimum $24,309 can be a far bigger percentage.

But, I just don't see how Goodell was trying to change behavior or impress a point on someone who launched himself at a Quarterback's head with a fine equivalent to an average speeding ticket.

Anyone else see it differently?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
              To me, his most impressive throw by far and best throw in his career so far, was the (I believe the route off the top of my head) deep comeback on the left sideline to DT that he threw with a man right in his face. And he had to complete it over a defender. This was off his back foot, so I couldn't tell if this is the throw you're referring to. But, anyway, that is the throw that made me think, maybe Trevor can be the guy. There aren't many of the career long backups that can make that throw in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
              X