By The Numbers: Week 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    Well, when you have KC, Denver and Oakland rounding out the top 3 teams in total points scored...You have a tough division on your hands.

My two biggest areas of concern. Sacks and passing TD's allowed. The No Fly Zone has been allowing a lot more flight than anticipated. Part of this is because teams are unable to run the ball and forced to take to the air, part of this is because we aren't getting pressure, but we've gotta get this reeled in. 206 YGP isn't terrible by any means so from a yards standpoint, that's not bad, but we've gotta slow down teams scoring on us via the air.
    Just wanted to point out that 206 yards per game would be good enough for 3rd in the NFL last year. I'd say that is more than "not bad". It's really good. Then you have to take into consideration that plenty of those yards came with a big lead against one very good and established quarterback and one quarterback that has shown to be very good at this point in his career, even if helped by the line and weapons around him. Either way, 2 games is too early to be concerned that we aren't exactly where we like seeing our numbers. We will play some more good quarterbacks. But it won't be top end offenses every week for our defense. It'll balance out.

Comment

Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
      Just wanted to point out that 206 yards per game would be good enough for 3rd in the NFL last year. I'd say that is more than "not bad". It's really good. Then you have to take into consideration that plenty of those yards came with a big lead against one very good and established quarterback and one quarterback that has shown to be very good at this point in his career, even if helped by the line and weapons around him. Either way, 2 games is too early to be concerned that we aren't exactly where we like seeing our numbers. We will play some more good quarterbacks. But it won't be top end offenses every week for our defense. It'll balance out.
      As I pointed out, it's not the yards that bothered me, it's the points...Gotta stop the scoring from happening. That number should drop a lot this week, I doubt the Bills get into the endzone against us very much.
      sigpic

Comment

As I pointed out, it's not the yards that bothered me, it's the points...Gotta stop the scoring from happening. That number should drop a lot this week, I doubt the Bills get into the endzone against us very much.
        And even to that, I still feel the same way. 17 points against an offense like Dallas when 7 points came from 4 yards out off a turnover. Against the chargers, touchdowns came off turnovers with a 43 yard drive and a 38 yard miscommunication TD.

Now, if we give up 17+ points from real drives against the bills, I'll be a teeny bit more concerned.

Comment

And even to that, I still feel the same way. 17 points against an offense like Dallas when 7 points came from 4 yards out off a turnover. Against the chargers, touchdowns came off turnovers with a 43 yard drive and a 38 yard miscommunication TD.

Now, if we give up 17+ points from real drives against the bills, I'll be a teeny bit more concerned.
          I wouldn't be shocked if we held them to a single score, which is why I'm borderline concerned this game might end up being a trap game for us.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for compiling the stats, Frey! Always good to see what the numbers look like. Two things that stand out to me defensively: 2.9 rushing yards per play after facing two teams, including a stalwart rushing behemoth in Dallas. I'd give that an A+. Also, 5.2 passing yards per play is #1 in the league - and much of that was in garbage time when Wood's was just giving Dak underneath targets in the 4th quarter to eat up clock. I think there's still quite a bit of room for improvement, which is scary.

Getting Ray back should be just what our pass rush needs. I think Shaq gets a little gassed out there and needs to be rotated in/out a bit more. Keeping his legs fresh should maximize his impact, and Ray should be able to torment most league average tackles when he's back in.

If we can combine this defense with an effective ground game (and great quarterbacking by Trevor), the result should be a team that's very very difficult to beat. Only two games into the season...but so far, this team looks built to smash.
            To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

I wouldn't be shocked if we held them to a single score, which is why I'm borderline concerned this game might end up being a trap game for us.
              The tough thing about predicting the bills is they're often and all or nothing type of offense. Meaning, they seem to get many of their points from big plays. However, in the past that has been because of Watkin's and Goodwin's speed combined with McCoy being a very good rb and Taylor having some wheels. So, maybe they're not that kind of team now. I'm inclined to agree that we don't give up more than one score if we play close to a good game.

Comment

Can't wait until we face teams with only a run game and aren't a threat in the air. If our dline continues to hold teams for very little rushing yards, there should be a lot of 'easy' wins for us this year(bills, nyg, philly, cincy, mia, jets, wash)

Plus I think roby had a PI against him which then led to the Chargers first TD right? So if we were mistake free(which I know is a stretch) this D really hasn't given up anything
                Last edited by Dotst; 09-19-2017, 02:25 PM.

Comment

CJ Anderson makes PFF's Team of the week on offense

Running back – C.J. Anderson, Denver Broncos
                  PFF Grade: 91.2

Elite Stat: Anderson broke seven total tackles on 28 touches between carries and receptions.

This was a reminder that a fully-healthy C.J. Anderson is a monster for the Denver Broncos, and he gashed the Dallas defense this week, gaining 85 of his 118 yards after contact, breaking six tackles along the way from 25 carries. Anderson also caught every pass thrown his way, scoring a touchdown in the process.
                  Von and Harris Jr make it on defense

Edge defender – Von Miller, Denver Broncos
                  PFF Grade: 92.5

Elite Stat: Miller led all players this week with 12 total pressures.

It may not have shown up in sacks until late in the game, but Von Miller was destroying Cowboys RT La’el Collins all afternoon. He ended the game with 12 total pressures, the most of anybody this week, and it could have been more had he not jumped offside four times in the game trying to time the snap count. Miller also got his hand to tip the final pass of the game, deflecting it into the arms of Aqib Talib for an interception.
                  Flex D – Chris Harris Jr., Denver Broncos
                  PFF Grade: 87.1

Elite Stat: Harris Jr. allowed one reception on 47 coverage snaps in the slot this week, the best rate in the league.

The Denver defense was lights out against the Cowboys, and Chris Harris was on his best form along with the majority of the unit. Harris was thrown at seven times, allowing just two catches for 20 yards while breaking two of the incompletions up and intercepting a pass on a deflection from Cowboys WR Dez Bryant.
                  sigpic

Comment

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...las-cowboys-17

TOP 5 GRADES:
                    EDGE Von Miller, 89.6 overall grade

RB C.J. Anderson, 87.7 overall grade

CB Chris Harris Jr., 87.7 overall grade

EDGE Shaquil Barrett, 87.3 overall grade

CB Aqib Talib, 84.3 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
                    RB C.J. ANDERSON, 87.7 OVERALL GRADE
                    Anderson didn’t get much help up front from his offensive line, but was still quite effective as a runner. He averaged over three yards after contact per carry, forced six missed tackles, and found the endzone once. He added another 36 yards as a receiver on three catches where he scored another touchdown.

QB TREVOR SIEMIAN, 72.6 OVERALL GRADE
                    Overall it was a pretty good outing for Siemian, but there was a big difference in his performance based on if he was pressured or not. When kept clean, Siemian had an adjusted completion percentage of 88 percent, all four touchdown passes, and a passer rating of 143.9. However, he completed just one five-yard pass on ten dropbacks under pressure. He also kept most of his passes shorter, with just three completions targeted 10-plus yards downfield, and 52 percent of his passing yards coming after the catch.

EDGE SHAQUIL BARRETT, 87.3 OVERALL GRADE
                    Von Miller was the story in this game, but Barrett’s performance against a far better blocker in the shape of LT Tyron Smith (65.1), may have been just as impressive. Barrett didn’t get a sack, but had nine total pressures himself, and led the team in defensive stops with five in the run game.

CB AQIB TALIB, 84.3 OVERALL GRADE
                    Talib could easily have come out of this game with three interceptions to his name, and had two passes ripped out of his hands by Dez Bryant turning defensive back. Talib ended up with a pick, two pass breakups and scored the final touchdown of the game, bringing his interception back 103 yards for a score.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X