Bad Fake Punt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Fake Punt

First I have no problem with calling a fake punt, I love them and a well timed fake punt can change the momentum of a game in a big way (think of the Sunday night game v KC a few years ago). But a bad fake punt can also enhance the momentum against you.

Which brings me to today, I have no issues with the fake punt call itself, but what I have a problem with is that the Broncos left their o-line on the field for it. No team in the NFL uses their o-line on punt, and I would bet there aren't any offensive linemen on a punt team in the entire NFL, they'd probably be near the bottom of the list. Now lets look at the meetings and game plans that NFL players go through/get every week, in the special teams game plans they will have a detailed list of which players on the opposition are on each special team along with their schemes.

So the Bills would know with one look at the line, and seeing 61 at long snapper, 65 at right guard, 76 at left guard etc. that it was a fake punt. There would be zero mystery, it would be a simple read and react, occupy your gaps. This doesn't even get into the fact that Paradis came real close to completely missing Henderson with the snap.

Love that VJ allowed Olivo to run a fake punt, hate that they telegraphed it so much, hopefully going forward they'll use their actual punt team which would help keep things covert.

A big red flag appeared when De Angelo Henderson appeared on the field. I have a serious problem with it.

Why attempt such a thing in our own territory? They'd be better served utilizing Brock Osweiler as a permanent holder during field goals rather than Dixon. Attempting a fake field goal for a first down and failing inside the oppositions 20 or even 30 is a lot more acceptable than the fake punt attempted today...!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
      A big red flag appeared when De Angelo Henderson appeared on the field. I have a serious problem with it.

Why attempt such a thing in our own territory? They'd be better served utilizing Brock Osweiler as a permanent holder during field goals rather than Dixon. Attempting a fake field goal for a first down and failing inside the oppositions 20 or even 30 is a lot more acceptable than the fake punt attempted today...!
      I believe Henderson actually is the personal protector though. Speaking of special teams, hats off to Latimer for his great coverage on the punt that was ultimately nullified by an illegal formation call.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
        First I have no problem with calling a fake punt, I love them and a well timed fake punt can change the momentum of a game in a big way (think of the Sunday night game v KC a few years ago). But a bad fake punt can also enhance the momentum against you.

Which brings me to today, I have no issues with the fake punt call itself, but what I have a problem with is that the Broncos left their o-line on the field for it. No team in the NFL uses their o-line on punt, and I would bet there aren't any offensive linemen on a punt team in the entire NFL, they'd probably be near the bottom of the list. Now lets look at the meetings and game plans that NFL players go through/get every week, in the special teams game plans they will have a detailed list of which players on the opposition are on each special team along with their schemes.

So the Bills would know with one look at the line, and seeing 61 at long snapper, 65 at right guard, 76 at left guard etc. that it was a fake punt. There would be zero mystery, it would be a simple read and react, occupy your gaps. This doesn't even get into the fact that Paradis came real close to completely missing Henderson with the snap.

Love that VJ allowed Olivo to run a fake punt, hate that they telegraphed it so much, hopefully going forward they'll use their actual punt team which would help keep things covert.
        I agree...it wasnt the call itself, but it was horribly executed.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MH Stampede View Post
          I agree...it wasnt the call itself, but it was horribly executed.
          Agreed. That's what I've been trying to say in a different thread. They saw that they had the numbers to win. However, my point has been that the snapper really threw everything off with his porous snap that took Henderson too far left.

Comment

What we did was used our starting OL instead of ST punt line - so they claimed

I like the idea of having Brock out there for every hold - pretty nice ace in the hole for those fakes

although he'd be useless on coverage when they don't fake it
            The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Ultimately it was bad coaching on the behalf of VJ, he looked lost and seem to be leaning on McCoy as what to do.
              Bad game by both VJ and Trevor with the refs making a even worse call on Von Miller which sealed the game.

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiiancrush View Post
                Ultimately it was bad coaching on the behalf of VJ, he looked lost and seem to be leaning on McCoy as what to do.
                Bad game by both VJ and Trevor with the refs making a even worse call on Von Miller which sealed the game.
                That's called communicating. You have no idea if he "leaned on McCoy". There is nothing you could actually be allowed to see/hear on tv that could tell you that, besides random guessing.

Comment

It really bothers me that VJ called it 'perfect timing'

There was nothing perfect about it

Comment

Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
                    That's called communicating. You have no idea if he "leaned on McCoy". There is nothing you could actually be allowed to see/hear on tv that could tell you that, besides random guessing.
                    well - the announcers mentioned it when talking about games 1 and 2 ...... not this play in particular though

Comment

Well the commentator even eluded to the same conclusion as VJ even called McCoy over to ask him something while McCoy was trying to get a play in so, I wasn't the only one who noticed VJ looking lost.

Comment

Just another thing to add to the list as to why this team lost.
                        Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiiancrush View Post
                          Well the commentator even eluded to the same conclusion as VJ even called McCoy over to ask him something while McCoy was trying to get a play in so, I wasn't the only one who noticed VJ looking lost.
                          I understand what the announcers said. But, they're just grasping at straws. Literally, all head coaches do this. You see Bill Bellichick talk to Josh quite often. To discuss.. Good communication is not something that should be frowned upon.

Comment

I understand what the announcers said. But, they're just grasping at straws. Literally, all head coaches do this. You see Bill Bellichick talk to Josh quite often. To discuss.. Good communication is not something that should be frowned upon.
                            Well to me, VJ had the look of a deer in the headlights all game long and seemed to be out coached by Dennison all day, just growing pains from new first time head coach and QB, and to be expected with first away game and playing from behind in a hostile environment

Comment

Agreed. That's what I've been trying to say in a different thread. They saw that they had the numbers to win. However, my point has been that the snapper really threw everything off with his porous snap that took Henderson too far left.
                              The kept Paradis out there, he's probably been working non stop on getting shotgun snaps back quickly and straight, not easy to then get it to the right for that. Whereas a long snapper is putting it to a similar spot he'd put a field goal snap to.

Comment

Working...
                              X