Bad Fake Punt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid call...

You don't run a fake in that kind of field position in a tight back & forth game where you miss & you just handed them a free shot at a FG chance.

I would have no problem running a play like this if we were at least near the 50 or perhaps we were down by 2 scores but it was without question the wrong call at the wrong time & at the wrong part of the field.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
      Stupid call...

You don't run a fake in that kind of field position in a tight back & forth game where you miss & you just handed them a free shot at a FG chance.

I would have no problem running a play like this if we were at least near the 50 or perhaps we were down by 2 scores but it was without question the wrong call at the wrong time & at the wrong part of the field.
      I still maintain that if Henderson ran to the edge way wide and run up field that he'd likely have made that 1st down. Instead he literally just ran right into guys.

Comment

Frustrating that they didn't make the first but I have no issue with the risky call. If it had worked this thread would have been filled with comments of how awesome Joseph is and courageous a call it was. Same call just different outcome.

Have to accept the good with the bad. That fake punt simply was not executed well and ended badly.

Comment

Good idea but, wrong field position too try from, risk reward was not favorable for any outcome, even if we did get the first down, we still were on our 35 yard line. And when VJ seen how poorly that play was lined up, along with seeing the D creep up towards the LOS, as they then knew we aren't kicking, VJ should have called TO and then punted the ball away, but he let the play move forward knowing like all of us did, the play was doomed.
          Sloppy coaching will get us killed against the Billacheats of the world. But VJ is young and will learn from these kinds of mistakes, but we may also lose some games along the way as well is the flip side of that.
          I do like a lot of what he has done so far though, but I think this first road game, kind of got him overwhelmed, as you could see it on his face that he was no longer having the " Time of his life" haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
            First I have no problem with calling a fake punt, I love them and a well timed fake punt can change the momentum of a game in a big way (think of the Sunday night game v KC a few years ago). But a bad fake punt can also enhance the momentum against you.

Which brings me to today, I have no issues with the fake punt call itself, but what I have a problem with is that the Broncos left their o-line on the field for it. No team in the NFL uses their o-line on punt, and I would bet there aren't any offensive linemen on a punt team in the entire NFL, they'd probably be near the bottom of the list. Now lets look at the meetings and game plans that NFL players go through/get every week, in the special teams game plans they will have a detailed list of which players on the opposition are on each special team along with their schemes.

So the Bills would know with one look at the line, and seeing 61 at long snapper, 65 at right guard, 76 at left guard etc. that it was a fake punt. There would be zero mystery, it would be a simple read and react, occupy your gaps. This doesn't even get into the fact that Paradis came real close to completely missing Henderson with the snap.

Love that VJ allowed Olivo to run a fake punt, hate that they telegraphed it so much, hopefully going forward they'll use their actual punt team which would help keep things covert.
            I was a stupid call - PERIOD. The score didn't call for it, the offense didn't need it, the field position was wrong for it - terrible call. If there was one reason we lost the game it was that call. I couldn't believe it.

Comment

Another thing that came to mind is the team does not need all that shenanigan to attempt a fake punt. We have Riley Dixon, who was known for converting fake punts in college. He even converted one last season with a nice throw to Latimer against the Titans. He can run pretty well, he can throw pretty well. There is no need to put the starting o-line out there to warn everyone about a potential fake punt. It would be much easier to ask the gunner to run a hook route and catch a pass from Dixon. You can even ask Dixon to fake the punt motion and run outside for 2 yards.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X