How About That D!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How About That D!!!!!

Nothing new....The Broncos have an outstanding D! It's pretty much a given these days that The Denver Broncos are a defensive nightmare. It is no longer a news story. It is a fact, and has been for years. The fact is even more legendary, given we won our SB as a result of it!:lombardi:

And here we are again. #1 in the league based on current stats. Still very early, but the pattern remains.....except that, this year we are leading the NFL in run D, giving up a stingy 50.8 yards per game, and this including a head to head with Dallas and Zeke. Mind you, he and they were not even a factor that day!

Our pass D is still top tier, though we are ranked 11th to date. Part of that probably relates to our shutdown run D, causing opponents to take to the air more often. But surprisingly we only have 4 interceptions, and are not overpowering in sacks either, with 10. And this is why I see even more amazing D going forward, once Shane returns to the fold, and presents a double trouble aspect to our game. I feel quite certain that, when he returns, Von's numbers will skyrocket.....or conversely, Shane and others will see their numbers rise, while teams try to neutralize our stud OLB! Imagine that, the #1 run D, with a top tier pass D on the up and up!!!

We sure have witnessed a unit to be proud of. Another year or two of this excellence, and yes, put us in the books as one of the best ever! Or if nothing else, nothing like a little Orange Crush in this era.

Didn't the pass D drop 3 or 4 spots from the bomb against Oakland?

Comment

One player has to be released in order to make room for Shane Ray when he comes back.

Nothing personal but I'm going to advocate that Kasim Edibali be the odd man out. He has lacked in his pass rushing abilities but we also need to give Demarcus walker more reps at the position if the Broncos are seriously intent on converting him into an outside linebacker/edge rusher.

If Shane Ray comes out the door swinging and we have Walker right behind him, developing then yes we will have one hell of a pass rush at that point in time.

We have to be extremely strong and extremely fast in order for the no-fly zone to get back to the dominant force that they were, the force that places them back at the number one pass defense and secondary but It all has to start upfront.
      Last edited by Sam_Z; 10-12-2017, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Hard to say, but we shall soon see.
        sigpic

Comment

Well said, my friend. It’s a special unit, for sure - “Iron Sharpens Iron” was a defining mantra in the locker room during the historic 2015 season. They seemed to live and breathe it on the field, carrying what amounted to little more than a Ford Pinto of an offense to a Super Bowl championship.

If Shane Ray can provide sufficient pressure opposite Von, I think this defense could potentially rival the 2015 unit. It’s a defense to be reckoned with…the kind that can rip the heart out of an opponent. Derek Carr had this to say after our game, “….You look back at the Denver game. We actually did some really good things against a really, really good defense. We had a chance to win the game at the end. Against that defense, that's all you can ask for, is a chance to win.”

And to think…it could soon be stronger.
          To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            Nothing new....The Broncos have an outstanding D! It's pretty much a given these days that The Denver Broncos are a defensive nightmare. It is no longer a news story. It is a fact, and has been for years. The fact is even more legendary, given we won our SB as a result of it!:lombardi:

And here we are again. #1 in the league based on current stats. Still very early, but the pattern remains.....except that, this year we are leading the NFL in run D, giving up a stingy 50.8 yards per game, and this including a head to head with Dallas and Zeke. Mind you, he and they were not even a factor that day!

Our pass D is still top tier, though we are ranked 11th to date. Part of that probably relates to our shutdown run D, causing opponents to take to the air more often. But surprisingly we only have 4 interceptions, and are not overpowering in sacks either, with 10. And this is why I see even more amazing D going forward, once Shane returns to the fold, and presents a double trouble aspect to our game. I feel quite certain that, when he returns, Von's numbers will skyrocket.....or conversely, Shane and others will see their numbers rise, while teams try to neutralize our stud OLB! Imagine that, the #1 run D, with a top tier pass D on the up and up!!!

We sure have witnessed a unit to be proud of. Another year or two of this excellence, and yes, put us in the books as one of the best ever! Or if nothing else, nothing like a little Orange Crush in this era.

I wouldnt be surprised to find out that a good chunk of the pass yardage we've been giving up, comes against zone defenses, something we seem to be doing more of this year.

I dont have any stats to back that up, just an anecdotal observation.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MH Stampede View Post
              I wouldnt be surprised to find out that a good chunk of the pass yardage we've been giving up, comes against zone defenses, something we seem to be doing more of this year.

I dont have any stats to back that up, just an anecdotal observation.
              I dislike the Zone Defense.

Comment

I thought I heard on the radio that the Broncos run D allowing just over 200 yards through 4 games is the fewest rush yards allowed in NFL history? Does that seem accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
                  I thought I heard on the radio that the Broncos run D allowing just over 200 yards through 4 games is the fewest rush yards allowed in NFL history? Does that seem accurate?
                  Without doing some research, I can not speculate on the info you may have heard, but I do know that 50 yards per game, after 4 games, including the so called dangerous Cowboys, seems extremely low....therefore pretty hard to beat.

Comment

Ground Control is the Epically Awesome and we all know with Denver's No Fly Zone Denver won SB50 and I think with this Awesome Ground Control Denver can do it again !

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
                      I dislike the Zone Defense.
                      Which one? In cover zero through nine, the only ones that aren't zone are 0 and 1. Can't stay in one coverage all the time. Zone Blitz works because it puts defenders where the QB doesn't expect them. Can't effectively play man against Bunch Formations/Routes. Combos and Inverts are good and can confuse a QB. If Cover 2 is to be shown, then the other Cover 2 looks (Tampa 2/Robber) should be used as well. One of the biggest differences between college and pro is the greater number of coverages QBs see, and that must include zone.
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                        Which one? In cover zero through nine, the only ones that aren't zone are 0 and 1. Can't stay in one coverage all the time. Zone Blitz works because it puts defenders where the QB doesn't expect them. Can't effectively play man against Bunch Formations/Routes. Combos and Inverts are good and can confuse a QB. If Cover 2 is to be shown, then the other Cover 2 looks (Tampa 2/Robber) should be used as well. One of the biggest differences between college and pro is the greater number of coverages QBs see, and that must include zone.

To be honest I know that Denver has to use Zone to set up Man Coverage plus the mere fact that If you do not mix it up the NFL OCs will find a way to beat it every time so Game planning like what was Done vs Dallas was epic however truth be told it does seem like Every Time we go into Zone cover 2 or Cover 1 or 3 it seems like the QBS see it automatically and they thow it well vs that Defense. So to be honest I am not to sure how you can fix that maybe by a total disguise showing man then going into a Zone?

Comment

The advantage of being in a zone coverage is that your DBs don’t have to run as much, which helps conserve energy. In zone they just have to cover people in their assigned areas. In man coverage they have to cover their assignment even if they go on some long deep route and the ball doesn’t go to the receiver they’re covering. The disadvantage of that is the offense can rotate WRs, keeping them fresh, and can wear out a team’s DBs if they elect to keep them in.

No disrespect meant to our backups, but I’d rather keep Talib, CHJ, and Roby out there as long as possible. If that means running a little more zone, so be it. Rotating between man and zone coverage would keep the opposing offense guessing, which is advantageous to our D.
                          Last edited by ChupaThingy; 10-14-2017, 02:50 PM.
                          2014/2015 Adopt-A-Bronco : TJ Ward - GO DUCKS!

Comment

I’m going to start calling it the fly zone
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                              I’m going to start calling it the fly zone
                              Why are they not playing as well?
                              Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Working...
                              X