What is with the zone defense?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is with the zone defense?!?!

I was under the impression that when wade left, we were going to not tinker with the defense. Maybe add some new wrinkles, but what i'm seeing is not the same no-fly-zone, more like a bags fly free type.

Does anyone have any explanation as to why we are doing alot more zone coverages now? It never, NEVER has been our strong suit. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

This, amongst other issues with this team, has been the most unnecessary and frustrating one to boot. Thoughts?

Frustrating cuz we have the talent to fight those one-one matchups and win most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by River Side View Post
      Frustrating cuz we have the talent to fight those one-one matchups and win most of the time.
      I"m seeing they were getting scorched a bit on man coverage with those rub routes. Why are we not doing the same thing, lol?

Comment

Originally posted by pepesilvia View Post
        I"m seeing they were getting scorched a bit on man coverage with those rub routes. Why are we not doing the same thing, lol?
        Vance Joseph is running his style over the style that Joe Woods learned under Wade. I don't understand the reason why VJ has anything against Wades style but we all could say that we saw this coming when the Broncos refused to resign Wade Philips last off season.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
          Vance Joseph is running his style over the style that Joe Woods learned under Wade. I don't understand the reason why VJ has anything against Wades style but we all could say that we saw this coming when the Broncos refused to resign Wade Philips last off season.
          Yep...at least I saw it coming.

Comment

Joe Woods said right after being hired that he was going to introduce more Zone coverage. I don't love it, but he was upfront about it and it wasn't forced on him by Joseph.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
              Joe Woods said right after being hired that he was going to introduce more Zone coverage. I don't love it, but he was upfront about it and it wasn't forced on him by Joseph.
              Well it needs to be forced on him to play more man. Doesn’t make sense when you have 3 very good corners to play Zone. It reminds me of Oak star corner that went to Philly( Nnamdi Asomugha). Dominate in man to man in oak and went to play in a Zone coverage in philly and his career fell off.

Comment

If you guys didn't know what we were in for when VJ was hired, that's on you. We obviously have a talented team surrounding a young QB. We didn't need a monster offense to win a Super Bowl, and this team could easily make the playoffs if the coaches and playcalling were done right. Last night they were done wrong, way wrong, and we paid for it.

Comment

I'm not a football scheme guru like Samparnell, and some others, and I understand that man coverage is physically demanding. However, it seems to me the our CB's thrive in man coverage. That's what puts Harris Jr, and Talib above guys like Richard Sherman in my book. Their ability to follow a WR all over the field instead of just playing areas. Stick to what got you where you are. Just my opinion.

Comment

Is that speculation or fact?
                    I believe.

Comment

We run both zone and man coverage, probably leaning more on zone coverage. Manning's numbers yesterday 128 yards 11/19 (57.9%) 1 TD. He didn't need to pass the ball as much because they were down their primary receivers and they were able to run so effectively. The main exception people have issue with are the passes to the TE.

A TE is generally going to be covered by a LB or a safety though in zone it's the responsibility of the defender to cover is zone and hand off coverage as necessary. In any case the NFZ was not really the problem with the game. Engram had a fabulous game, but a TE that big and quick will challenge any LB or safety. He netted 85 yards on 7 receptions. The next closest receiver in yards had 15.

No, the secondary was not the problem at all with yesterday's game.

Giants

148 yards rushing, no TDs
                      128 yards passing, 1 TD

2/3 Field Goals
                      1 INT/TD

The defense struggled mightily against the run that kept the Giants offense on the field. On the other side, we struggled to move the ball on the ground or through the air. Miscues, mistakes, drops, fumbles, interceptions...

Zone or man coverage, the secondary was not the problem at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
                        Well it needs to be forced on him to play more man. Doesn’t make sense when you have 3 very good corners to play Zone. It reminds me of Oak star corner that went to Philly( Nnamdi Asomugha). Dominate in man to man in oak and went to play in a Zone coverage in philly and his career fell off.
                        Mixing man and zone isn't a bad thing. Besides all Zone coverage turns to man coverage at some point.

Comment

I don't like a lot of zone either, but the defense gave up all of 16 points yesterday, and that was with the offense doing nothing and putting the D in bad situations. Nobody is going to win too many games when you give up 7 on offense and only score 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post
                            If you guys didn't know what we were in for when VJ was hired, that's on you. We obviously have a talented team surrounding a young QB. We didn't need a monster offense to win a Super Bowl, and this team could easily make the playoffs if the coaches and playcalling were done right. Last night they were done wrong, way wrong, and we paid for it.
                            Actually, we can't go to the playoffs if our QB throws a pick 6, the kicker misses two FGs, and the offense only scores 10 points. But I guess only the coaching staff is to blame, right?

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
                              Actually, we can't go to the playoffs if our QB throws a pick 6, the kicker misses two FGs, and the offense only scores 10 points. But I guess only the coaching staff is to blame, right?
                              The coaching calls the plays. I have said the Trevor made some bad throws and bad reads, but a lot of people put all the blame on him and that isn't fair.

Comment

Working...
                              X