Field Positiong...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Positiong...

These 3 losses we have it seems like we couldn't get any good field positioning most of the time. It seems like whenever our defense does make somebody go 3 and out, a long punt happens or a lucky bounce gives us the ball damn near at the 1 yard line. Teams have caught on to this since last year (The Patriots game last yr for instance) and all they are doing now is moving the ball just enough to get the ball to atleast midfield and punting it to pin us deep. If we want to continue to start Trev, shouldn't we try the Tebow gameplan like we did against KC a few years back and only throw it a few times?? Our D will be fresh and opposing offenses will have to go 80 yards on our D like we have to do with Trev. I remember we just wouldn't stop running it at KC with Lance Ball but it helped get our run game get in sync and we ended up being #1 in rushing that year and we have the talent on our roster to do so. Thoughts??

Originally posted by JoeBalla2k5 View Post
    These 3 losses we have it seems like we couldn't get any good field positioning most of the time. It seems like whenever our defense does make somebody go 3 and out, a long punt happens or a lucky bounce gives us the ball damn near at the 1 yard line. Teams have caught on to this since last year (The Patriots game last yr for instance) and all they are doing now is moving the ball just enough to get the ball to atleast midfield and punting it to pin us deep. If we want to continue to start Trev, shouldn't we try the Tebow gameplan like we did against KC a few years back and only throw it a few times?? Our D will be fresh and opposing offenses will have to go 80 yards on our D like we have to do with Trev. I remember we just wouldn't stop running it at KC with Lance Ball but it helped get our run game get in sync and we ended up being #1 in rushing that year and we have the talent on our roster to do so. Thoughts??

Field positioning is killing us. I think what has gotten lost in how bad our O-line and QB play has been is how bad our special teams has been. We give up WAY too many punt and kickoff return yards. Not to mention we keep bringing the ball out of the end zone on kickoffs and not getting anywhere near the 25. We definitely need to start being smarter and trying harder to win the field position battle, because right now we are getting killed in that aspect.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Comment

Originally posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
      Field positioning is killing us. I think what has gotten lost in how bad our O-line and QB play has been is how bad our special teams has been. We give up WAY too many punt and kickoff return yards. Not to mention we keep bringing the ball out of the end zone on kickoffs and not getting anywhere near the 25. We definitely need to start being smarter and trying harder to win the field position battle, because right now we are getting killed in that aspect.
      Part of it is that we havent had Latimer on KR the past few games and Langley has struggled to get it past the 20 yard line. Maybe we should have McKenzie in there on KR when he gets back and let Hunter Sharpe continue to handle PR duties.

Comment

Just don't take it out of the EZ on kick offs because we suck at everything right now.
        Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
          Just don't take it out of the EZ on kick offs because we suck at everything right now.
          OMG this... I don't even bother looking at the guy's name but whoever he is he rarely gets it even to the 20.

STOP IT!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I mentioned this in another post about running the kicks out of the endzone...it's just beyond puzzling why they keep doing it & more so why the coaches are allowing to happen because there is much more bad than good can come out of it...

1. you don't get out to the 25 which happens nearly every time we run it out so you are giving away free yardage
            2. you can have a holding or block in the back penalty backing you up all the more
            3. you can turn the ball over
            4. the risk of injury

just take a dam knee & start at the 25 yard line, at the very least is 10-12 yards better starting spot than we have been getting & even if we go 3 & out it's still that much more yards the other team has to go on our defense. :doh:

i swear when they run it out, i would like to throw something through the tv
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
              I mentioned this in another post about running the kicks out of the endzone...it's just beyond puzzling why they keep doing it & more so why the coaches are allowing to happen because there is much more bad than good can come out of it...

1. you don't get out to the 25 which happens nearly every time we run it out so you are giving away free yardage
              2. you can have a holding or block in the back penalty backing you up all the more
              4. the risk of injury

just take a dam knee & start at the 25 yard line, at the very least is 10-12 yards better starting spot than we have been getting & even if we go 3 & out it's still that much more yards the other team has to go on our defense. :doh:

I agree 100% just get the ball at the 25 Yard Line every time please!

Comment

I don’t blame our defense for this mess but conserving field position it doesn’t help at all when every single time our punter pins a team inside the 5 we have given up our biggest plays on defense.

Against Oakland they had a 99 yard scoring drive and the next punt inside the 5 they got close to midfield before punting.

And against the Giants darkwa has a 17 yard run from the one yard line.

Our D is always gassed but for once can’t they get a 3 and out or a safety when our offense actually wins a field position battle?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post

4. the risk of injury

I wonder why the coaches continue to let him run it out when it seems to end badly nearly every time? It is very frustrating. I am really curious if anyone has any ideas on why this happens continually. Wouldn't they get a clue after awhile... is that slim chance he runs it out for 50 yards worth facing terrible FP on practically every series? I do not get it.
                  Do they leave this up to the KR.. is he allowed to make the decision? I am guessing a KR would probably want to run it out every single time because their ego would tell them they could get some glory for it, if it went well for them.

It puzzles me when a coach keeps making the same mistakes over and over again, when pretty much the entire world knows it is not working. Is it stubbornness?? Is it inability to pivot or change?? What the hell is it?
                  My adopted Bronco is Case Keenum

Comment

It also drives me nuts when return guys wanna get cute and run sideways or backwards (for a loss) in the hope they're gonna find a clear path and break the big one. That's from sheer arrogance and stupidity. I keep screaming at the TV -"North! North you idiot!"

But Special Teams is a complete disaster -every part of it- so I suppose it fits that picture. (((SIGH)))

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
                      It also drives me nuts when return guys wanna get cute and run sideways or backwards (for a loss) in the hope they're gonna find a clear path and break the big one. That's from sheer arrogance and stupidity. I keep screaming at the TV -"North! North you idiot!"

But Special Teams is a complete disaster -every part of it- so I suppose it fits that picture. (((SIGH)))

Wasn't Brock Olivio supposed to be the best special teams coordinator in the NFL? Or that was the goods we were sold when he got here.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                        Wasn't Brock Olivio supposed to be the best special teams coordinator in the NFL? Or that was the goods we were sold when he got here.
                        He was an assistant ST coordinator for KC for three years, first time being in charge of a unit here, and now it's a total mess -kicking, return game, coverage -all of it.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
                          He was an assistant ST coordinator for KC for three years, first time being in charge of a unit here, and now it's a total mess -kicking, return game, coverage -all of it.
                          Maybe it's the altitude that messes with people's heads. They can't think straight.

Comment

Starting FP against the Chargers on Sunday:

DEN 9
                            DEN 1
                            DEN 16
                            DEN 19
                            DEN 27
                            DEN 25
                            DEN 35
                            DEN 37
                            DEN 1
                            DEN 9
                            DEN 30
                            LAC 42
                            LAC 43
                            DEN 35

Average starting FP = DEN 26

Comment

Originally posted by Bootleg View Post
                              Starting FP against the Chargers on Sunday:

DEN 9
                              DEN 1
                              DEN 16
                              DEN 19
                              DEN 27
                              DEN 25
                              DEN 35
                              DEN 37
                              DEN 1
                              DEN 9
                              DEN 30
                              LAC 42
                              LAC 43
                              DEN 35

Average starting FP = DEN 26
                              Not sure what you are getting at there but anyway i think those numbers are incorrect, the drive in bold was not a denver drive but i think was a charger drive because i counted 13 total drives & you have 14 there so...

13 total drives for 301 yards of field position = avg 23 yard line, furthermore if you take out the last two possessions (one due to a 61 yard return) after they made it 21-0 with only 5:00 remaining...the average starting spot would be the 19 yard line
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X