Concerning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Sanders did an interview this week where he pretty much called out Siemian. The fracture isn't an O v D thing, it's a everyone v the coaching staff thing if Siemian doesn't get results or they don't change QBs soon thing.

Sanders did also go after the o-line a little bit, but when Tyler Polumbus asked him if the receivers were failing to get open, he said the defenses were playing zone coverage against them, the QB needs to make a read and get rid of the ball. So the people arguing that the locker room will get upset because they think Siemian is their best chance to win might be 100% wrong.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/...bronco-offense
    Wow, thanks for sharing this. Important to have this perspective.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
      I tune out TS and Coach VJ when they try to attack my Facebook Live Feed lol ! The reason is they say the same thing over and over like we had a Great Practice on Wednesday and TS says I have to play better well you have been saying that the past 4 weeks in a row.
      TEAM needs a gamer. Not a practice squad star. If you can't perform on Sundays you don't belong in the league.

Comment

To me I think this season really is over. I don't think VJ will change QBs, and even then, there isn't a mobile QB that can make reads above a rookie level on this team. Concerning, yes, but maybe by next season after draft and acquisitions we can evaluate again. The QB is the most important position for a reason, and right now we have only duds behind center. Hard to succeed with the combination of bad O line and poor QB play.
        Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by diesel51 View Post
          Here is the problem I have with blaming the coaching and wanting to bench Trevor Siemian.

According to what has transpired in the past four games, defenses are stacking the box where we cannot run the ball, our offense's biggest strength. Then they are forcing us to pass. In order to beat this, we need to be able to go deep a time or two to make the defense play more honest. However, in order to go deep, the offensive line has to block longer. The offensive line's weakness is pass blocking, so the longer they are asked to block, the more likely they are going to get beaten or get an offensive holding call. This causes Trevor to get beaten up, which in turn makes him skittish and causes him to make worse decisions with the ball.

What kind of plays can McCoy call that changes this? What run plays can he call that our offensive line can execute more effectively against a stacked box? I mean a 3 and out is a 3 and out whether it is 3 runs and out or 3 passes and out or anything in between.

And how is Brock going to be any better if he's forced to do the same things Trevor is asked to do? Does he have a stronger arm? I think he does, but is his decision making better? Not really. And he'll have the same Offensive Line blocking for him and the same stacked box.

I'm not against change, just I don't want to see change for change's sake. It needs to solve a problem. Tell me how your changes are going to solve the problems?
          Not true... A 3 and out passing on every down equals about 30-50 seconds including the punt.
          A 3 and out running on every down equals about 2:00 minutes off the game clock.
          That means in a "60 minute" game, if you just run and punt with only 10 possessions and you get only 1 first down on half of them (we averaged 3.2 yards a rush, not counting Trevor's 2scrambles) that's totally doable. That means your defense is only on the field half the game...
          The real win is not turning the ball over on some dumb QB throw... Which it's what happened in the Charger game. Heck, we won the TOP battle 31 to 28...
          Then you control field position via special teams. (Which we haven't really been good at in awhile)
          Where's the biggest issue? Trevor turning the ball over. So if that gets fixed, we start winning games. You minimize QB mistakes by not allowing him to throw 35+ times a game.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
            The greatest rushing attacks in NFL History were series-based. They all start with a base play that is well repped by the offense against every possible front. It's a bread and butter play in which the team has confidence. It must be practiced all the time so that execution is near perfect each time it is run. The idea is to run that play and force the defense to adjust in order to stop it, and then to attack the adjustments. The base play and the companion plays which attack the adjustments are the Series.

Vince Lombardi had the Sweep Series at Green Bay. Some call it the Power Sweep, but it was actually zone blocked. There were about five plays he used to attack the adjustments to the Sweep.

Chuck Noll used every conceivable Trap play in what you could call the Trap Series. It included Guard Hole Trap, Tackle Trap, Long Trap and Front Trap.

Joe Gibbs said he stole the idea for his Counter Series from Tom Osborne. The Counter Gap/Ace/Deuce/Trey had to be set up by a play to the Tackle/TE hole. As in any angle blocked play, the idea is to outnumber the D at POA. It was usually Off Tackle/G Power that attacked the right. He tended to use an H-Back in motion instead of a Fullback. That way he could flip the strength of the formation by using motion. Long time Bronco fans will remember Gibbs' Counter Series from Super Bowl XXII.

So, IMO, McCoy needs to cultivate a series-based rushing attack. It requires patience. Another thing they might want to consider is line splits. Denver's O-Line seems to have wider splits on pass plays and then tighten up for run plays. D must line up on the O, so splits can dictate how wide or tight the D is. They might try some irregular line splits. This could be done in conjunction with FB/H-Back involved in certain plays.

Denver has a lot of angle blocked plays, but they still use zone steps. Zone can be mixed in to take advantage of a defensive shift. Effective use of series runs helps PAP.
            This is where I was going next... Wow Sam, even used the GB Sweep Series. Kudos!
            This is like our late 90's SB run, offset I toss... When running that, everyone knew we were going to run and we still ran it anyway!
            9 guys in the box? So what, run the rock any way.

Comment

The Chefs run man coverage almost exclusively. If they keep this trend Siemian is going to have a good week because he's better against man defense. I think the Broncos win this one and Siemian has a fairly good week.

Comment

The Chefs run man coverage almost exclusively. If they keep this trend Siemian is going to have a good week because he's better against man defense. I think the Broncos win this one and Siemian has a fairly good week.
                or they could follow the trend and play zone and make TS look like a idiot again
                sigpic
                when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Originally posted by arapaho View Post
                  or they could follow the trend and play zone and make TS look like a idiot again
                  I'm going with the glass half full! :thumb:

The Ravens got stomped by the Jags in London earlier this year, last night they did the same to the Dolphins. Any given Sunday Boys and Girls...
                  [sigpic

Comment

I have no doubt they'll probably play more Zone, but now they're taking an already poor defense away from its comfort zone. There's a reason they play man coverage 2/3 of the time.

Comment

I have no doubt they'll probably play more Zone, but now they're taking an already poor defense away from its comfort zone. There's a reason they play man coverage 2/3 of the time.
                      I agree with that taking in a account a solid qb

like Manning...the hype was always ..send pressure, disguise the defense and you can beat manning...seattle did that in the superbowl

but if he knew what you was doing, if you couldn't get there...manning would eat that defense up

it might not be kc's preference to play zone...but if it works and it stifles TS...I don't see them going to man...unless TS makes them pay

what the chances of that
                      sigpic

Comment

I agree with that taking in a account a solid qb

like Manning...the hype was always ..send pressure, disguise the defense and you can beat manning...seattle did that in the superbowl

but if he knew what you was doing, if you couldn't get there...manning would eat that defense up

it might not be kc's preference to play zone...but if it works and it stifles TS...I don't see them going to man...unless TS makes them pay

what the chances of that
                        If you don't play zone a lot, it can lead to a lot of screw ups. You're right that Siemian needs to make them pay for it, but just making them pay once will get them to revert to who they are playing man.

I've been almost as outspoken as you about my feelings on the QB, but I think this is a favourable matchup for him. If he's going to break out, or even shows signs of life, this is the game.

Comment

I'm a fan of sticking with QBs if they are showing a willingness to learn and succeed (just like anyone in life). If Trevor is showing his intelligence and dedication (And can find a way to execute better), I'd stick with him.
                          I believe.

Comment

If you don't play zone a lot, it can lead to a lot of screw ups. You're right that Siemian needs to make them pay for it, but just making them pay once will get them to revert to who they are playing man.

I've been almost as outspoken as you about my feelings on the QB, but I think this is a favourable matchup for him. If he's going to break out, or even shows signs of life, this is the game.

we can only hope
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by XterraRob View Post
                              I'm a fan of sticking with QBs if they are showing a willingness to learn and succeed (just like anyone in life). If Trevor is showing his intelligence and dedication (And can find a way to execute better), I'd stick with him.
                              when has he shown a willingness to learn?...the knock I had about him last season is still there

drifting back into sacks, not simply taking a hitch up or to the side to avoid the rush and get the ball out, instead just running out and a lot of times into sacks

locking on his first read, not recognizing the defense and knowing where his matchup is, not recognizing blitzes, not being able to move take the top off the defense when they stacking the box

his mechanics are bad, his reads are bad, his vision is bad...NOTHING HAS IMPROVED, HE HAS LEARNED NOTHING ABOUT WHY HE STRUGGLED LAST SEASON
                              sigpic

Comment

when has he shown a willingness to learn?...the knock I had about him last season is still there

drifting back into sacks, not simply taking a hitch up or to the side to avoid the rush and get the ball out, instead just running out and a lot of times into sacks

locking on his first read, not recognizing the defense and knowing where his matchup is, not recognizing blitzes, not being able to move take the top off the defense when they stacking the box

his mechanics are bad, his reads are bad, his vision is bad...NOTHING HAS IMPROVED, HE HAS LEARNED NOTHING ABOUT WHY HE STRUGGLED LAST SEASON
                                I will admit he's regressed the last few games, and very badly I might say. I really wonder what's causing it.
                                I believe.

Comment

Working...
                                X