Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't we go get Brown, Or Ebron, Or Garoppolo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Von is expensive but edge rushers are very valuable. He's a great player but he is more of a Freeney than a Watt or Houston. He relies on quickness and isn't strong enough to beat a tackle who squares up on him. But cap wise he is not our problem. Its the WR contracts to Sanders and Thomas. Waaaayyyyy too much money for those positions. We have highest paid WR position by a mile but a popgun offense. Biggest Elway mistakes were those contracts

Comment

Originally posted by Chop_Block View Post
      Von is expensive but edge rushers are very valuable. He's a great player but he is more of a Freeney than a Watt or Houston. He relies on quickness and isn't strong enough to beat a tackle who squares up on him. But cap wise he is not our problem. Its the WR contracts to Sanders and Thomas. Waaaayyyyy too much money for those positions. We have highest paid WR position by a mile but a popgun offense. Biggest Elway mistakes were those contracts
      The only mistake on those contracts is that we don't have a QB to throw to them. If you can't throw to positions where they can make plays, it eliminates your WR's without a need for the defense to do more than basic coverage. Which is exactly what was happening.
      #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
        The only mistake on those contracts is that we don't have a QB to throw to them. If you can't throw to positions where they can make plays, it eliminates your WR's without a need for the defense to do more than basic coverage. Which is exactly what was happening.
        Jordy Nelson agrees with you. He went from Rodgers to Hundley and his production dropped. It isn't that Jordy isn't good enough to shine without Aaron Rodgers being his QB. But him and any wide out needing someone behind center that can deliver the ball. Jordy production didn't drop when Matt Flynn was slinging the rock.

But it does with Brett, because Brett can't get the ball too him. Could be inexperience or inability.

In general this applies to all wide receivers. They can only produce when the ball is getting to them. Trev has been in able to get the ball to Sanders and DT. Not rocket science to understand why their production would drop.

You can have all the weapons around you, but if your QB cant get it done, the offense will not produce results.
        sigpic
        Adopted Broncos:
        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by darryn16 View Post
          I agree. In this case, however I think the actions (not picking up any players before the trade deadline) speaks louder than words
          Agreed, although I'm not sold on the idea that we are rebuilding, or that the front office thinks we are rebuilding. I think we are in ride the ship into the ground THIS season mode, fix the line in the draft (again), and either let Kelly win the job or grab a F/A QB (i.e. Cousins) and hope the defense can maintain its dominance.
          All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
            The Brown trade was off and on for months. We are going with Bolles as our LT. Not only draft compensation, but cap wise it was a hefty price tag. It's nice to say just flip one of them to the other side, but it's really not that simple. Ryan Harris said it best "I'll give you a challenge: you go wipe your butt tonight left-handed and see how it goes,"
            ^ That is a great post. It is also the comment and question I asked about Leary when they made a decision to move him to the RG spot.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
              Not really. Schofield improved a lot last year and was the 2nd best player next to Paradis. He looked even better this preseason and I thought he showed enough to start on this team. For whatever reason the FO gave up on him and Sambraillo. Now Schofield is playing well for the Chargers. In his 3 starts he's only given up that coverage sack one week after he kept Khalil Mack from getting a sack. He's starting to become what we envisioned when we drafted him
              So he was the 2nd best player on a terrible O-line. You say he looked even better in the preseason yet was cut anyway. Apparently he didn't look better to the brass. As far as playing well now, good for him. Let's see if he keeps it up. If he does, then it was another mistake by Elway on the offensive line.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
                So he was the 2nd best player on a terrible O-line. You say he looked even better in the preseason yet was cut anyway. Apparently he didn't look better to the brass. As far as playing well now, good for him. Let's see if he keeps it up. If he does, then it was another mistake by Elway on the offensive line.
                The decision to cut Schofield was made before training camp even began. They kept him on the third string unit despite pancaking dlinemen throughout the preseason one of them leading to Henderson's big TD run. Schofield was considered a project coming out due to lack of strength, but we put in all the work with him so another team could reap the benefits. If he was ever in the running to make this team, the team would have kicked Watson to LG and started Schofield at RT or started Schofield at LG after that first preseason game. It's a tragedy that Garcia is still starting and Stephenson is still on the roster.

Because of the way college teams play, teams almost can't give up on olinemen because a lot of them are projects. Schofield and Sambrailo should still be on this team over Stephenson and Garcia. Schofield because he outplayed those guys; Sambrailo because he still needs time in the weight room to reach that potential we drafted him for. Injuries have stunted Sambrailo's development but he can still become a good olinemen. Stephenson has no more room for development and is just as bad if not worse than Sambrailo.

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                  The Brown trade was off and on for months. We are going with Bolles as our LT. Not only draft compensation, but cap wise it was a hefty price tag. It's nice to say just flip one of them to the other side, but it's really not that simple. Ryan Harris said it best "I'll give you a challenge: you go wipe your butt tonight left-handed and see how it goes,"
                  I've done it before.... I had an injury where I tore some ligaments in my right wrist.... so if that analogy is accurate, it really is not a hard adjustment to make, unless you are borderline mentally retarded.

Comment

Working...
                  X