Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets Talk Rationally....Is Our Long Term QB In The Fold?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lets Talk Rationally....Is Our Long Term QB In The Fold?

    I am not sure myself. I am regretfully not a big Trevor fan (though I like the guy), Paxton is still a project, Brock is Brock, and not sure I can sell the farm for Chad.

    Now in fairness, another question should be...is our Oline going to be around together for long?

    I guess I am one who loves security at the QB position. I am sure many others are as well. It is the leader on the field job, and whether or not a player has great talent matters a little less than the actual leadership they provide. If players are confident behind you, and trust you, and want to go to battle with you, you can get by with less talent. And if you have leadership and skill in your favour, well now, expect to be around for long while.

    Our D is playing great ball....again. It is a bit difficult to see such effective play on one side and not the other. And again, this is not just about the QBs. O is a group affair, and Oliners must block, RBs must run, and WRs must catch.....etc.

    But I can not help thinking ahead, maybe too far at times, as I wonder if we have the guy for the future on our roster. Many feel like Trevor has regressed after showing some promise. He may get it back, but right now he needs to sit back and absorb. As I say, I am not keen about Brock, for more than just his play. Seemed to get "big headed" last year, and seems to have turned off a load of teams along the way. Hey, we sure got him cheap! As mentioned, Paxton is a project and Chad is an unknown.

    Would it be a crime to look elsewhere at some point....if this uncertainty continues? Will our D be as stalwart in a couple of years? Hopefully. Sure, you never press panic buttons, nor do you force the issue thinking that the other key component of your game will lose momentum.

    But yes....I have some doubts. Perhaps I will be proven "confused for nothing" shortly. I hope so.

  • #2
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    I am not sure myself. I am regretfully not a big Trevor fan (though I like the guy), Paxton is still a project, Brock is Brock, and not sure I can sell the farm for Chad.

    Now in fairness, another question should be...is our Oline going to be around together for long?

    I guess I am one who loves security at the QB position. I am sure many others are as well. It is the leader on the field job, and whether or not a player has great talent matters a little less than the actual leadership they provide. If players are confident behind you, and trust you, and want to go to battle with you, you can get by with less talent. And if you have leadership and skill in your favour, well now, expect to be around for long while.

    Our D is playing great ball....again. It is a bit difficult to see such effective play on one side and not the other. And again, this is not just about the QBs. O is a group affair, and Oliners must block, RBs must run, and WRs must catch.....etc.

    But I can not help thinking ahead, maybe too far at times, as I wonder if we have the guy for the future on our roster. Many feel like Trevor has regressed after showing some promise. He may get it back, but right now he needs to sit back and absorb. As I say, I am not keen about Brock, for more than just his play. Seemed to get "big headed" last year, and seems to have turned off a load of teams along the way. Hey, we sure got him cheap! As mentioned, Paxton is a project and Chad is an unknown.

    Would it be a crime to look elsewhere at some point....if this uncertainty continues? Will our D be as stalwart in a couple of years? Hopefully. Sure, you never press panic buttons, nor do you force the issue thinking that the other key component of your game will lose momentum.

    But yes....I have some doubts. Perhaps I will be proven "confused for nothing" shortly. I hope so.
    Our future QB is finishing off the season with the Red Skins.

    Comment


    • #3
      No, he went (was allowed) to go to Minnesota.

      Comment


      • #4
        We have Trevor over 20 starts to prove he wasn’t the long term answer so I can’t write lynch off after 2.5 starts or write kelly off before he even sees the field.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          I am not sure myself. I am regretfully not a big Trevor fan (though I like the guy), Paxton is still a project, Brock is Brock, and not sure I can sell the farm for Chad.

          Now in fairness, another question should be...is our Oline going to be around together for long?

          I guess I am one who loves security at the QB position. I am sure many others are as well. It is the leader on the field job, and whether or not a player has great talent matters a little less than the actual leadership they provide. If players are confident behind you, and trust you, and want to go to battle with you, you can get by with less talent. And if you have leadership and skill in your favour, well now, expect to be around for long while.

          Our D is playing great ball....again. It is a bit difficult to see such effective play on one side and not the other. And again, this is not just about the QBs. O is a group affair, and Oliners must block, RBs must run, and WRs must catch.....etc.

          But I can not help thinking ahead, maybe too far at times, as I wonder if we have the guy for the future on our roster. Many feel like Trevor has regressed after showing some promise. He may get it back, but right now he needs to sit back and absorb. As I say, I am not keen about Brock, for more than just his play. Seemed to get "big headed" last year, and seems to have turned off a load of teams along the way. Hey, we sure got him cheap! As mentioned, Paxton is a project and Chad is an unknown.

          Would it be a crime to look elsewhere at some point....if this uncertainty continues? Will our D be as stalwart in a couple of years? Hopefully. Sure, you never press panic buttons, nor do you force the issue thinking that the other key component of your game will lose momentum.

          But yes....I have some doubts. Perhaps I will be proven "confused for nothing" shortly. I hope so.
          Not sure - that might hinge on how well/poorly the team performs this season. If Elway has a top 10 draft pick, maybe he goes for a “non-project” QB. Otherwise, I could see us primed for the Cousins sweepstakes. Behind a “respectable” line with the offensive weapons that we have (assuming they’re not dropping/fumbling the ball) and a top flight defense, Cousins could be more than enough for a Super Bowl run. Or who know…maybe Chad is the next Jim Kelly (sans Super Bowl folly).

          It’s tough watching such a talented defense just spinning their wheels out there. Especially when you know that we don’t need much offense to be successful.
          To infinity...and beyond.

          Comment


          • #6
            Regardless of who will be the long-term QB, it's funny that, after such a whirlwind at QB, all 4 QBs on the practice field today were drafted by the Broncos under Elway. Brock (2012), Trevor (2015), Paxton (2016) and Chad (2017). It's hard to guess the QB situation for 2018 before watching Brock play these next games.

            What if Brock plays at a decent level or even at a high level with strong support from the locker room? He might get a new contract offer and, this time, he might take it. Elway believes in Brock, used a 2nd-round pick on him, developed him for 4 seasons and these are big factors. I think Paxton still has a shot if he matures a little bit and shows he really wants the job.

            The route that worked the best for Elway in the past was offering a big contract for a proven free-agent QB like Peyton, so he might go after Kirk Cousins or Drew Brees. Demaryius Thomas and Aqib Talib are examples of players that can be moved to create cap space.

            I think spending a 1st-round pick on another QB next year is a distant possibility. Paxton Lynch is still fresh in Elway's mind. It will have to be the perfect situation in the draft, something that does not happen so easily. Also, next year's QB class might not be as great as advertised after all and, if it is that good, 2-3 QBs will probably be gone before the Broncos are on the clock. Will Elway pay the king's ransom to get his top QB?

            What's easier to guess at this point is that Trevor is out. If he stays on the roster, which might not even happen, he will be the cheap backup or #3 with starting experience. I also think Chad Kelly is a long shot because I doubt the team will hand the keys to another 7th-round QB that has not played football for a while.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Wishful thinking is Chad Kelly has the ability to become the QB of the future. In reality, the team doesn't have a long term answer at the position. A lot will depend on where we pick in April. My pipe dream would be to throw a few firsts, a second and Ray at the Colts to land Luck. Going through these scenarios is depressing.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                I still believe Lynch is the guy. Before Lynch was even drafted it was said that he was a 2 year project that wouldn’t be ready to start til year 3. This was said under the assumption of no injuries and therefore no delays in his 2 project years. Lynch got injured which has cost him 2 1/2 month of time.

                Lynch is a hand on learner. Loads of practice, studying the playbook, and studying film are only gonna help him so much. He has to have consistent playing time in games. Once/If he gets that, I’m confident he will improve greatly. It won’t be any overnight improvement, it’ll be rough at first, but he will improve and become the long term guy at QB.
                Denver Broncos
                New York Yankees
                New York Knicks
                Colorado Avalanche


                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                  Regardless of who will be the long-term QB, it's funny that, after such a whirlwind at QB, all 4 QBs on the practice field today were drafted by the Broncos under Elway. Brock (2012), Trevor (2015), Paxton (2016) and Chad (2017). It's hard to guess the QB situation for 2018 before watching Brock play these next games.

                  What if Brock plays at a decent level or even at a high level with strong support from the locker room? He might get a new contract offer and, this time, he might take it. Elway believes in Brock, used a 2nd-round pick on him, developed him for 4 seasons and these are big factors. I think Paxton still has a shot if he matures a little bit and shows he really wants the job.

                  The route that worked the best for Elway in the past was offering a big contract for a proven free-agent QB like Peyton, so he might go after Kirk Cousins or Drew Brees. Demaryius Thomas and Aqib Talib are examples of players that can be moved to create cap space.

                  I think spending a 1st-round pick on another QB next year is a distant possibility. Paxton Lynch is still fresh in Elway's mind. It will have to be the perfect situation in the draft, something that does not happen so easily. Also, next year's QB class might not be as great as advertised after all and, if it is that good, 2-3 QBs will probably be gone before the Broncos are on the clock. Will Elway pay the king's ransom to get his top QB?

                  What's easier to guess at this point is that Trevor is out. If he stays on the roster, which might not even happen, he will be the cheap backup or #3 with starting experience. I also think Chad Kelly is a long shot because I doubt the team will hand the keys to another 7th-round QB that has not played football for a while.
                  Outstanding analysis. It's hard to believe, but Oz may indeed be the once and future king. Drew Brees is my dream scenario, but it's been reported he wants to stay in N.O. It also doesn't help that the Saints are having a decent season. I'm hesitant to throw 25 million at Cousins, but he is having a very good year. High completion percentage and QB rating, 13 TDs, 4 INTs. Whatever happens, I truly hope Elway gets someone who can contribute immediately. Our championship caliber D ain't getting any younger.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think they will go Oline heavy in FA and the draft and try a sign a vet QB to go along with Kelly and Lynch. Maybe someone like Case Keenum might be the answer for next year but I think it all depends on what happens with Cousins. I could see Elway throwing the bank at him to get him and I believe Cousins would welcome the opportunity to come play ere.
                    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 11-01-2017, 05:21 PM.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Elway has whiffed on every QB drafted-- not one serviceable QB.

                      All this talk is about 4-QB's that just suck. I obviously am skeptical Kelly will amount to anything-- we drafted a limping Jake Butt before Kelly.

                      Hope is for losers. Elway needs to start hitting on some decisions or Ellis needs to restrict him because he is blowing it and has an a record of blowing it. One more bad decision and this will not be recoverable and truly will be a blow-it-up and rebuild.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                        I am not sure myself. I am regretfully not a big Trevor fan (though I like the guy), Paxton is still a project, Brock is Brock, and not sure I can sell the farm for Chad.

                        Now in fairness, another question should be...is our Oline going to be around together for long?

                        I guess I am one who loves security at the QB position. I am sure many others are as well. It is the leader on the field job, and whether or not a player has great talent matters a little less than the actual leadership they provide. If players are confident behind you, and trust you, and want to go to battle with you, you can get by with less talent. And if you have leadership and skill in your favour, well now, expect to be around for long while.

                        Our D is playing great ball....again. It is a bit difficult to see such effective play on one side and not the other. And again, this is not just about the QBs. O is a group affair, and Oliners must block, RBs must run, and WRs must catch.....etc.

                        But I can not help thinking ahead, maybe too far at times, as I wonder if we have the guy for the future on our roster. Many feel like Trevor has regressed after showing some promise. He may get it back, but right now he needs to sit back and absorb. As I say, I am not keen about Brock, for more than just his play. Seemed to get "big headed" last year, and seems to have turned off a load of teams along the way. Hey, we sure got him cheap! As mentioned, Paxton is a project and Chad is an unknown.

                        Would it be a crime to look elsewhere at some point....if this uncertainty continues? Will our D be as stalwart in a couple of years? Hopefully. Sure, you never press panic buttons, nor do you force the issue thinking that the other key component of your game will lose momentum.

                        But yes....I have some doubts. Perhaps I will be proven "confused for nothing" shortly. I hope so.
                        Paxton's long term prospects really are completely up in the air. I know there are those that say he's already busted out, some say he just needs to continue to adapt to the NFL, that he really is the guy he just isnt there yet.

                        Personally....I have no idea. I hope he's the guy for the future. I am cautiously optimistic he can be much better than what we saw during games that counted last year. But can he improve enough? I dont know...and I personally think there really isnt any way any of us, probably not even the coaches, can know for sure. He simply doesnt have the body of work during meaningful games to have a truly definitive answer to that.

                        Which is why I am of the opinion, in a week or two he may well be the starter. At least that way we can have a more informed opinion.

                        But who knows, Oz may come in and light it up. Not likely, but stranger things have happened.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                          Elway has whiffed on every QB drafted-- not one serviceable QB.

                          All this talk is about 4-QB's that just suck. I obviously am skeptical Kelly will amount to anything-- we drafted a limping Jake Butt before Kelly.

                          Hope is for losers. Elway needs to start hitting on some decisions or Ellis needs to restrict him because he is blowing it and has an a record of blowing it. One more bad decision and this will not be recoverable and truly will be a blow-it-up and rebuild.
                          Lots of hyperbole here. Overall, Elway has done a great job and the team certainly is not in rebuild mode.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            We're not going to know until we see how they play. Now that Brock is our starter, let's see how he does before we make any assumptions on a long term starter. It remains to be seen if Brock can even be better than his stint in Houston still.
                            Superbowl 50 Champions!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think we just confirmed what many thought that while Siemian is a young QB, he has a low overall ceiling. Can Brock come in and be a true game manager, avoiding the bone headed turnovers while making a play every now and again on 3rd down and in the red zone? We are fixing to find out. I think Lynch has the highest ceiling of this trio, but has been wildly inconsistent thus far while struggling with the mental aspects of the position. Is the light bulb going to come on one day? I guess there is only one way to find out right? Just considering their college resumes, I would say that Chad Kelly was the more accomplished QB with the best overall natural ability within this group, but we are not likely to see him on the field until next fall.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X