Wade Phillips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
    There is a difference between not having the best DC in the NFL and having a 1st-year DC that admits he's "fishing" for plays, trying to find the right call and that he is "off" as a play caller.

https://milehighsports.com/a-tough-l...-dc-joe-woods/

We went from an experienced coordinator to a rookie who looks lost out there calling plays with the game going too fast for him.

And then there's the infamous zone defense...

I'd say the Rams are happier with Wade than the Broncos with Joe Woods.
    I'm not saying Joe Woods is great, I'm saying Phillips is overrated by this fanbase, and he tends to correct back to the mean around year 3 with every team he's been DC for. Even in LA the overall defensive numbers aren't great, although the PPG against (which is obviously very important) is very good. But usually with bend but don't break defenses (which is what they have in LA) they end up breaking at some point. They have the Saints this week, and then the Eagles two weeks after that. Lets see where they are at that point, and we'll revisit. If they're still great PPG wise I'll gladly admit I'm wrong, but I think they'll be dropping steadily after that.

As for Joe Woods, the quote you brought up brings up two areas that concern me, if he's fishing for plays then either his gameplan and/or his advanced scouting has been horrible. The Broncos coaches should be breaking down opponents tendencies by both down and distance as well as what they tend to run out of each personnel grouping and formation. He should be able to call a package and base play based on personnel grouping (which would be part of his game plan) and then the defense should be able to either go with it or make auto checks to correct plays based on what formation that personnel grouping lines up in. Teams use certain formations for certain plays or group of plays, sure there might be a tendency breaker in there every now and then, but at this point in the season teams are what they are, and you should know 3x1 with a bunch formation we should see one of these three plays, but our DBs are lined up to take the player who comes their direction.

If he's fishing for plays, his staff isn't helping him and he's not doing enough to put the defense in a situation to be successful.

Comment

The biggest issue is that the fan base expected a rookie DC would come in and do just as well as Wade did. Lets give him time to see how he progresses as a coordinator. We are not getting Wade back, it's a totally moot point. Reading some people's posts on here you would swear we have one of the worst defenses in football. The defense in spite of not getting TOs and giving up some big plays here and there, has played well enough to win in at least 8 games this season. That is an undeniable fact.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post
        History shows that every team Wade becomes the DC of......initially becomes one of the best.....BUT, after that, the defense starts tumbling down. we had our run. Look at Dallas, look at the Chargers....happens to every team he has been the DC. Again, love him, but we had our run with him.
        We were #1 in pass and scoring defense. How many other teams Wade Philips worked for also had the same elite players every year? Does he actually fall out of favor with the players, or are less talented players replacing the guys he did so well with?

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Scores View Post
          We were #1 in pass and scoring defense. How many other teams Wade Philips worked for also had the same elite players every year? Does he actually fall out of favor with the players, or are less talented players replacing the guys he did so well with?
          Denver wasn't the number 1 scoring defense under Phillips, I believe they were 5th last year. I'm not sure if Denver has ever had the number 1 scoring defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
            Denver wasn't the number 1 scoring defense under Phillips, I believe they were 5th last year. I'm not sure if Denver has ever had the number 1 scoring defense.
            Once, in 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
              They were number 1 in my heart

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
                They were number 1 in my heart
                In mine too.
                Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by Mel B. View Post
                  You're right...'forced out' may be the wrong choice of words.

Maybe he was 'asked to step down' and promised an 'organizational role' (Senior Personnel Advisor) if he did. I mean he has stated he wants to be an OC again in less than a year from 'retiring' due to 'health reasons'.

I realized being a HC is a lot more stressful than being an advisor or OC but still...seems kind of fast to get back into football when I could have swore he said he was stepping away completely from football when he retired.
                  You are missing something here. Some/times a yearlong hiatus is needed to resolve any health issues that are caused or worsened by being a HC and at the time, he does not know if it is possible to get back into coaching. Gary Kubiak missed one game as a HC twice, both times as a HC, because of major problems in his brain. So he was clearly not making up the reason for his retirement. If he was asked to "step down" from the job, he got that word from a doctor, not his former teammate.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                    Once, in 1989
                    Ah yes. The number 1 scoring D v the number 1 scoring O in the Super Bowl that year, if I'm not mistaken. The number 1 scoring O certainly won that battle. Coincidentally Phillips (in his first year with the team) was Denver's DC that year.

Comment

Elway has made some terrible hires with this staff. Woods is a below average DC as he has shown so far. It will be a long drop off the cliff as we are seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos1r2 View Post
                        Elway has made some terrible hires with this staff. Woods is a below average DC as he has shown so far. It will be a long drop off the cliff as we are seeing.
                        Wasn't Vance Joseph responsible for hiring Joe Woods? Normally the HC hires and fires all of his assistants.

Comment

Originally posted by coco View Post
                          yet....Elway knows best.

What a crock
                          And yet he is the man who brought Wade here. And Manning. And drafted all those other players who ALL brought us a SUPER BOWL title. Yeah what a loser. You know you all who hate all things Elway will someday get your wish. Untill that day , you WILL see he will get them pulled out of this. Despite you.
                          sigpicoh YEAH?

Comment

Originally posted by Axemaster View Post
                            And yet he is the man who brought Wade here. And Manning. And drafted all those other players who ALL brought us a SUPER BOWL title. Yeah what a loser. You know you all who hate all things Elway will someday get your wish. Untill that day , you WILL see he will get them pulled out of this. Despite you.
                            If you go around and take a look at many of the fans in the nfl. The vast majority of them do not like their GM. Because they have these unrealistic expectations of what a Good GM is. However, they don’t understand that every single GM has more misses than they do hits. It’s like they’re trying to compare what the mean hitting average in baseball should be by comparing it to the average field goal percentage in basketball.

Comment

Working...
                            X