A.J. Derby released and Austin Traylor called up from Practice Squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.J. Derby released and Austin Traylor called up from Practice Squad

Not too exciting news unless we are making room for Sloter on our team. LOL-one can only hope.
    Do we even have a scouting dept?? Has Elway even heard about this new thing called the Interweb??
    Here is our recent tight end which Pats scored a 5th rounder for:
    AJ Derby pre draft: Can line up all over the field. Natural pass-catcher. Had only one drop during 2014 season. Showed willingness to catch throws over the middle and take the punishment. Unique perspective after playing quarterback and linebacker before move to tight end. Ability to add roster depth at two positions as emergency quarterback.

Here is our new TE wonder:
    Strengths: Traylor possess nice size for the tight end position, and caught the ball well as a senior. He's a very dependable blocker, as it was his main responsibility with the Badgers. Lined up in a variety of different positions for Wisconsin, in-line, at fullback, as a wing and flexed out in some trips formations. Traylor possesses decent athleticism, and is a load to bring down after the catch.

Weaknesses: Traylor is a one-year producer, and wasn't all that productive. Doesn't possess above-average athleticism, and struggles to separate vs. man coverage. Traylor, while being tough to tackle after the catch, doesn't offer much as far as wiggle. His frame appears to be maxed out, which limits his in-line potential at the next level.

He doesn't seem like the "answer" at TE either.

For a team who used to have a pretty awesome tight end in Sharpe you would think maybe calling him up & asking his opinion? Or even Rod Smith or Wes Welker or Stockley? Color me unimpressed.
    Bronco Bob

I like it, give some of the young boys opportunities in this lost season to see what we have. I was a fan of Austin Traylor in the preseason, solid blocker and athletic enough to potentially do some damage as a receiver too, hopefully we see more of this as the season goes along.

Comment

Originally posted by bfallona View Post
      Not too exciting news unless we are making room for Sloter on our team. LOL-one can only hope.
      Do we even have a scouting dept?? Has Elway even heard about this new thing called the Interweb??
      AJ Derby pre draft: Can line up all over the field. Natural pass-catcher. Had only one drop during 2014 season. Showed willingness to catch throws over the middle and take the punishment. Unique perspective after playing quarterback and linebacker before move to tight end. Ability to add roster depth at two positions as emergency quarterback.

Strengths: Traylor possess nice size for the tight end position, and caught the ball well as a senior. He's a very dependable blocker, as it was his main responsibility with the Badgers. Lined up in a variety of different positions for Wisconsin, in-line, at fullback, as a wing and flexed out in some trips formations. Traylor possesses decent athleticism, and is a load to bring down after the catch.

Weaknesses: Traylor is a one-year producer, and wasn't all that productive. Doesn't possess above-average athleticism, and struggles to separate vs. man coverage. Traylor, while being tough to tackle after the catch, doesn't offer much as far as wiggle. His frame appears to be maxed out, which limits his in-line potential at the next level.

For a team who used to have a pretty awesome tight end in Sharpe you would think maybe calling him up & asking his opinion? Or even Rod Smith or Wes Welker or Stockley? Color me unimpressed.

Not to take away from the topic of the thread, but what is with all the love for Sloter? The guy had a good preseason game against guys that are now selling car insurance somewhere. Is it a Colorado thing since he's a local kid?
      As far as the Derby release, I'm fine with it. He's been a turnover machine ever since we got him from New England. This season has been over for the past few weeks anyway so what difference does it make?

Comment

Derby has not looked good so might as well cut him loose and try a new guy.

Comment

Is this a serious thread? Derby has made about 2 plays for us. I doubt Traylor is better, but if we had no intention on keeping him after this year, then who cares. He wasn’t making a difference.

Comment

Was he injured? I would have cut Jeff H before derby. Atleast we are trying new things.

Comment

Originally posted by RainyTX View Post
              Not to take away from the topic of the thread, but what is with all the love for Sloter? The guy had a good preseason game against guys that are now selling car insurance somewhere. Is it a Colorado thing since he's a local kid?
              As far as the Derby release, I'm fine with it. He's been a turnover machine ever since we got him from New England. This season has been over for the past few weeks anyway so what difference does it make?
              Partly local kid thing, partly due to his awesome back story on his wild college career. But I have watched a lot of football since 1955 & seen a lot of Bronoc's practices at Dove Valley & watched every single game for the last 20 odd years. He had "it" Showed no fear & even when he ran into a bit of trouble, came right back and balled. Yes I get it was PS with scrubs, but same with Paxton & Brock. And if I remember not only was Denver trying to pay him a lot more than the normal PS player, Mn is paying him almost league minimum for PS & activated him and I think Washington was also in the bidding. Could be wrong & maybe he won't ever get a chance, but all a lot of QB's needed was a chance ( see Brady, Warner & Favre).
              Bronco Bob

Comment

Derby and Heuerman are both injured leaving the Broncos with only Virgil Green to suit up at TE tomorrow. They had to open a roster slot to get one more playable TE.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/...practice-squad
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks Rancid, that explains the whole deal..

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!

CP to ya.
                  sigpic

Comment

Sometimes it's TOO Funny. thx.

Comment

Partly local kid thing, partly due to his awesome back story on his wild college career. But I have watched a lot of football since 1955 & seen a lot of Bronoc's practices at Dove Valley & watched every single game for the last 20 odd years. He had "it" Showed no fear & even when he ran into a bit of trouble, came right back and balled. Yes I get it was PS with scrubs, but same with Paxton & Brock. And if I remember not only was Denver trying to pay him a lot more than the normal PS player, Mn is paying him almost league minimum for PS & activated him and I think Washington was also in the bidding. Could be wrong & maybe he won't ever get a chance, but all a lot of QB's needed was a chance ( see Brady, Warner & Favre).
                      He'll be available in January for the Broncos to sign to a futures contract (or whenever Minnesota ends their season), if Denver is really interested in him they can give him that contract. He beat the odds by being on an NFL roster during the regular season.

Comment

We gave a 5th round pick for Derby? SMH! Seems like the Patriots got us again.

Traylor may never make it on the field.

I hope we get rid of Jeff H. too!
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

To me Sloter was like a lottery ticket. We scratched two winning numbers with him and needed 4 more for a jackpot. It's still a long shot for him to be a winner, but you don't throw away a lottery ticket after matching the first two numbers without taking a look at the remaining numbers.

Comment

There goes another wasted 5th round pick
                            Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Another lost 5th round pick. And this year we aren't going to lose nearly as many high-value free agents, meaning we won't get as many compensatory picks. Well done, Elway! We can't draft offensive talent so we trade for Vernon Davis and AJ Derby.

Comment

Working...
                              X