Denver tried to trade Thomas before deadline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver tried to trade Thomas before deadline

According to Ben Allbright of Mile High Sports, the Broncos shopped the veteran wide receiver leading up the Oct. 31 NFL trade deadline. After finding no takers, the team is now looking to unload Thomas in the offseason.

Per Allbright, who cited a source, Denver feels Thomas "hasn't been the same player" since he switched to a vegan diet. He's caught 53 passes for 633 yards and three touchdowns this season, his first score not coming until Week 9.

Thomas dropped from 232 pounds to 218 pounds by utilizing the no-meat, no-dairy diet along with fellow receiver Bennie Fowler.

“Me and (Demaryius Thomas) have actually been vegan for about three weeks,” Fowler said on July 29, the beginning of training camp. “I have to be ready to play 60 plays per game. That’s something I’m preparing for. I’ve lost 10 pounds. DT has lost some weight. We both feel good, feel fast, feel light. It feels good.”

Eating habits aside, Thomas is a potential candidate for release due to his $12.03 million cap number for 2018, the second-highest on the team. The Broncos are slated to have a little under $23 million in cap room next year, with more than 30 players whose contracts are expiring.

Denver would clear $4.96 million while absorbing $7.06 million in dead money by moving Thomas, who has two years remaining on the five-year, $70 million contract he signed in 2015.

Who convinced these two that going vegan would be a good thing for an NFL player?
    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
    sigpic

Comment

5 mil in savings to carry 7 mil is dead money, that sounds like a terrible idea. I realize he isn’t the same player but when are going to absorb more than you are going to make, sounds like a bad decision. We should see if he would rework his deal before outright releasing him.
      sigpic

Comment

I know there is a lot of hate for him on here, but I love DT! Has had garbage throwing to him the last 3 years

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
          Who convinced these two that going vegan would be a good thing for an NFL player?
          It's an age and QB issue, not diet issue.

Comment

Originally posted by MHOC View Post
            I know there is a lot of hate for him on here, but I love DT! Has had garbage throwing to him the last 3 years
            i don't dislike dt but is contract is way too high for a middle of the pack wr.
            sigpic

Comment

It’s hard to be the same wide receiver when your QBs blow.
              Denver Broncos
              New York Yankees
              New York Knicks
              Colorado Avalanche

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MHOC View Post
                But you don't pay a guy what he's making for what we're getting out. I get what you are saying, but at this point, he's an aging receiver. His biggest asset (his speed) is gone and he's too soft to fight for the ball which means he cannot be a good possession receiver.

So he is basically making huge amounts of money to not even hit 1,000 yards this season.

As rough as the next year is going to be, we need to brace ourselves for a roster purge. A lot of beloved players could be leaving soon.
                sigpic

Comment

I don't understand why NFL players would think it is better not to eat any meat or dairy. They need more protein than ordinary people, Iron and vitamins are much better in their natural states than in pill form. I do not judge anyone for preferring not to eat meat, eggs, and dairy, but as long as salt, fat, etc. are strictly controlled, there is no reason a football player should eliminate all natural sources of the good stuff from his diet if he plans to be a better athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by kingelway7 View Post
                    Or when you are an older receiver who constantly has injuries and drops. He is way over paid.

Comment

Originally posted by kingelway7 View Post
                      Ok, but does that mean we should just keep paying the guy like a top WR when he cannot perform like a top WR (doesn't matter if it is due to him or his QB play, he's not getting it done)

Lets say it's not his fault. He's still not getting the job done and if we're blaming QB play, that isn't going to get better anytime soon and he's getting older. His speed is gone and he's physically on the decline.

Lack of QB or not, he's not worth what his contract costs us. He doesn't bring enough value to the team anymore to justify it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by simplistickhaos View Post
                        5 mil in savings to carry 7 mil is dead money, that sounds like a terrible idea. I realize he isn’t the same player but when are going to absorb more than you are going to make, sounds like a bad decision. We should see if he would rework his deal before outright releasing him.
                        Agreed. DT has been a drop machine for years, but his play since Peyton left has been terrible. But I would say he is worth more than paying $2.5 million for an empty bench seat. You got to keep him. Who do we have behind him that can be a game changer? No one. Thanks Elway!

Comment

And by the way, many of us warned Elway of this when Elway tagged him.

Comment

So do we absorb 7 million regardless of him being cut or traded?

If we are gonna take the dead money hit either way then it’s not worth moving him. We won’t find a better replacement for the 4 million we save and we don’t have a replacement on the roster already on top of that we won’t get a draft pick high enough to make it worth a 7 mill hit in dead money.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
                              So do we absorb 7 million regardless of him being cut or traded?
                              Basically, unless the other team agrees to eat some of the cap hit, which they won't without us taking a lot less for him than we could get otherwise.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X