Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone please break down DT's contract?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone please break down DT's contract?

Ok. Lots of talk of us moving on from DT next year. The two sites I visit for cap info are spotrac.com and overthecap.com. However, neither site gives a clear answer as to the dead money and cap savings if we cut DT after June 1st in 2018. Spotrac says there would be about 12 million in dead cap and no savings. Overthecap says there would be about 3.5 million in dead cap and 8.5 million in savings. Anyone know the truth?

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
    Ok. Lots of talk of us moving on from DT next year. The two sites I visit for cap info are spotrac.com and overthecap.com. However, neither site gives a clear answer as to the dead money and cap savings if we cut DT after June 1st in 2018. Spotrac says there would be about 12 million in dead cap and no savings. Overthecap says there would be about 3.5 million in dead cap and 8.5 million in savings. Anyone know the truth?
    Explain?

Too much

DT's contract is too much

Comment

I use Spotrac. It says in 2018 he has $15.56 million dead cap hit against a $12.03 million cap hit. So pay $12.0 million for one of the better (still flawed) WRs on the League or pay $15.6 for an empty seat. Seems like a no brainer.
      Last edited by GiddyupGetEm; 11-20-2017, 02:49 PM.

Comment

DT makes $12,033,333 next year. There is a $7,066,667 dead cap space hit pre June 1st cut. We would save $4,966,666 if we did cut him pre June 1st.

Comment

Here is some interesting info.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spor...-110801952/Amp

Comment

DT and Talib will be cut or traded in order to sign a quality QB.

Comment

Not sure I understand all the details but it looks like he is here minus a trade till at least 2019 although a post 6/1 trade equals an 8.5 million savingshttp://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/cap/

2018 Dead Cap: $15,566,666
              2018 Cap Savings: $-3,533,333
              PRE-6/1 TRADE
              2018 Dead Cap: $7,066,666
              2018 Cap Savings: $4,966,667
              POST-6/1 RELEASE
              2018 Dead Cap: $12,033,333
              2019 Dead Cap: $3,533,333
              2018 Cap Savings: $0
              POST-6/1 TRADE
              2018 Dead Cap: $3,533,333
              2019 Dead Cap: $3,533,333
              2018 Cap Savings: $8,500,000
              Bronco Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Narco View Post
                DT and Talib will be cut or traded in order to sign a quality QB.
                What QB though? Who would be worth signing that would be available? Cousins? Favre? Doug Flutie?
                I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by XterraRob View Post
                  What QB though? Who would be worth signing that would be available? Cousins? Favre? Doug Flutie?
                  Cousins would be worth every penny, imo.

High character and ACCURATE!!! Something Denver desperately needs

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                    Cousins would be worth every penny, imo.

High character and ACCURATE!!! Something Denver desperately needs
                    Then why doesn't Washington want him?
                    I believe.

Comment

What makes you say that? They've paid him huge money over the last two years. He's the best player on the team. Why they haven't committed to him long term I don't know.

Comment

Cousins is a hit and miss qb. I think he's a good qb but not top 5 qb money. Reminds me of Stafford you just never know what you're going to get on any given sunday. Besides I'd want us to find our own guy...or get a Brees or Luck type guy. Just not sold on Cousins.
                        :go:

Comment

What makes you say that? They've paid him huge money over the last two years. He's the best player on the team. Why they haven't committed to him long term I don't know.
                          Their hesitation for a long term commitment.
                          I believe.

Comment

The savings are never really "savings" a post June 1st cut just spreads the cap hit over two years instead of taking it in 1 year. The other note about a post June 1st cut is that teams can designate a cut as a post June 1st cut while doing it before then, that way the cap hit is spread over 2 years, however the Broncos would not get the cap room from the cut until June 2nd, so it wouldn't give them more room during free agency in March.

If Thomas were on the Broncos roster in 2018 he would count $12,033,333 against the cap. If he were released regularly he would count $7,066,667 against the cap, meaning the Broncos would get $4,966,666 in available cap space to use in free agency. If they released him as a post June 1 designation he would count $3,533,333 against the cap in both 2018 and 2019. Denver would then have $8.5 million in extra cap space available in 2018 however they would not get that cap space until June 2nd.

Thomas might be a prime candidate for one of John Elway's forced pay cuts. But if they do release him I think it's best that they cut him in March, take the cap hit fully in 2018 and go to 2019 with him completely off the books.

Comment

For the last time, Bronco fans should not have any expectation that Kirk Cousins will be here next year. First, Washington will probably be forced to tag him a third time at $34 million. The reason being they have no other options. The team is nothing without him. I live in the D.C. area and beat writers are increasingly confident he will get a third tag. He won't sign a long term deal with Dan Snyder.

Second, suppose Cousins doesn't get tagged and is a free agent, there's at least 12 teams who would fight for him. Why would he pick Denver? We either break the bank (a sign of bad management) or he goes where is knows the system (San Fran or Rams). He would go to a team that can contend, but what would give him that idea with this team?

Likelihood of him being a Bronco is less than 5%. So don't expect this to happen and solve our problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X