A Closer Look at Bill Musgrave's Offense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Closer Look at Bill Musgrave's Offense

In my opinion, I believe Mus was Elway's choice, and McCoy was VJ's.

It always boggled me as to why there were two capable offensive coordinators on this team. Hindsight, I believe Elway was ready to bring Mus in in case this situation got ugly. Hence, why we're here.
    After reading the article at MHR about what Musgrave's offense, I took a look at the playlist of Musgrave's RPO concepts via Raiders Analysis on Youtube, and I can honestly say that this something that needs to be implemented this week -- plus it's kinda exciting to see.

Here is the MHR article >> Here

Here is the video playlist >> Here

Thoughts?

I wouldn't look for massive changes, too far into the season and not enough ability to get reps in order to completely change over.

Instead it'll be tweaks of McCoy's plays and introduction of a few of Musgrave's concepts each week. The biggest change we will likely notice is in how the games are called, different OC believes in establishing different things and setting things up differently.

Comment

Is it more of a Wednesday offense or a Sunday offense?

Comment

Very nice 👍🏽 thank you for your efforts.

Ive heard the same about VJ/McCoy and Elway/Musgrave and if true then I give kudos and props to John Elway for making such a move and having a plan B like such!
        Last edited by Sam_Z; 11-21-2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
          I wouldn't look for massive changes, too far into the season and not enough ability to get reps in order to completely change over.

Instead it'll be tweaks of McCoy's plays and introduction of a few of Musgrave's concepts each week. The biggest change we will likely notice is in how the games are called, different OC believes in establishing different things and setting things up differently.
          I would agree there may not be massive changes but I have to believe that a lot of Musgrave's offense can be run. If the reports are true that McCoy's playbook was even bigger than when Manning was here I have to believe that some portion of that was likely built in collaboration with Musgrave. If a chunk of the playbook is 'Musgrave's' then it doesn't seem like a stretch to think he could build a simpler playbook from his plays (plus those of McCoy's that he likes), focus on those, and field an offense that looks more 'Musgrave' than 'McCoy'.

I'd also imagine that this massive playbook has some specific plays designed for certain QBs (read: Paxton Lynch). Once Lynch is named the starter - either this week or very soon as I think it is just a matter of time at this point - I'd expect we might see more of those that would make things look somewhat different.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

I agree that there should not be a massive change to anything in the first week and that plays, etc., will be changed over time, I should hope play calling AND scouting are improved.

Comment

Originally posted by pepesilvia View Post
              In my opinion, I believe Mus was Elway's choice, and McCoy was VJ's.

It always boggled me as to why there were two capable offensive coordinators on this team. Hindsight, I believe Elway was ready to bring Mus in in case this situation got ugly. Hence, why we're here.
              After reading the article at MHR about what Musgrave's offense, I took a look at the playlist of Musgrave's RPO concepts via Raiders Analysis on Youtube, and I can honestly say that this something that needs to be implemented this week -- plus it's kinda exciting to see.

Here is the MHR article >> Here

Here is the video playlist >> Here

Thoughts?
              Is there evidence to support the idea that Joseph wanted McCoy and Elway wanted Musgrave?

Wasn't it Joseph that spoke publicly about wanting an aggressive offense?

Elway is the one who had a previous relationship with McCoy.

Elway is the boss. The boss usually wins the argument.
              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
              You Mad Bro?

Comment

Originally posted by neutessa View Post
                I would agree there may not be massive changes but I have to believe that a lot of Musgrave's offense can be run. If the reports are true that McCoy's playbook was even bigger than when Manning was here I have to believe that some portion of that was likely built in collaboration with Musgrave.
                It's well known that Manning's playbook wasn't that large, so that isn't saying too much. A better comparison would be with Kubiak.
                I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by XterraRob View Post
                  It's well known that Manning's playbook wasn't that large
                  True, it was all about being in the right play.

Hopefully a more condensed playbook helps the offensive unit put up some points, but it'll more likely take more than that.

Comment

I don't understand why it is such a big deal on whether is was VJ's idea or Elway's idea to can McCoy.

Also, what does it matter if Elway was Musgrave's guy and McCoy was VJ's?

But I do agree that it was very smart of Elway to have a Plan B.
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

Originally posted by haciendadad View Post
                      I don't understand why it is such a big deal on whether is was VJ's idea or Elway's idea to can McCoy.

Also, what does it matter if Elway was Musgrave's guy and McCoy was VJ's?

But I do agree that it was very smart of Elway to have a Plan B.
                      I think it has to do with boundaries and crossing lines. People have said that VJ is Elway's puppet, that all decisions are basically made by Elway, etc. And folks want clearer lines drawn between the coaching and the FO.

Or that's what I surmise anyway.
                      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                        I think it has to do with boundaries and crossing lines. People have said that VJ is Elway's puppet, that all decisions are basically made by Elway, etc. And folks want clearer lines drawn between the coaching and the FO.

Or that's what I surmise anyway.
                        That's a very good point. In general I much prefer GM's to stay out of coaching altogether. However, many of our position coaches are in their first year or otherwise lack experience at this level. In that context, I'm fine with Elway micro-managing until the coaches can prove they deserve more autonomy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                          Is it more of a Wednesday offense or a Sunday offense?
                          OC Musgrave in his first speech ~

We're no longer just looking for good practices. We're going to start thinking outside the box with some radical new concepts...and focus on Sunday.
                          To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by neutessa View Post
                            I would agree there may not be massive changes but I have to believe that a lot of Musgrave's offense can be run. If the reports are true that McCoy's playbook was even bigger than when Manning was here I have to believe that some portion of that was likely built in collaboration with Musgrave. If a chunk of the playbook is 'Musgrave's' then it doesn't seem like a stretch to think he could build a simpler playbook from his plays (plus those of McCoy's that he likes), focus on those, and field an offense that looks more 'Musgrave' than 'McCoy'.

I'd also imagine that this massive playbook has some specific plays designed for certain QBs (read: Paxton Lynch). Once Lynch is named the starter - either this week or very soon as I think it is just a matter of time at this point - I'd expect we might see more of those that would make things look somewhat different.
                            That's what I meant by tweaks to McCoy's offense. Use what you really like, even if it hasn't been used much this season. And pick and choose where you want to go with it.

Comment

What I'd like to see, for them to help Lynch, is see a lot of pre-snap movement, based on how the defense shifts Lynch should be able to see if it's man or zone. I'd also like to see layered passing routes, meaning several routes of various depths in the same passing window, to make the reads fairly easy, just go from receiver to receiver without needing to go back and forth across the field. Let Paradis set the protections. Give Lynch easy pre and post snap reads. If they line up like this, this is your read, after the snap if that player goes here you throw the ball there, if he goes there you throw the ball here. etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X