Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't Matt Russell on the hot seat???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why isn't Matt Russell on the hot seat???

Over the last 5 years, the Broncos have been ranked bottom 5--and frequently bottom 2--in drafting by a majority of external analysts. What success we've had has come from free agency and the Peyton effect.

Our poor drafting is now catching up with us in a major way. Yesterday a CNN/BR front page article revealed that a number of coaches and team officials around the league think that Denver is a murder mill for coaches, who are being blamed to cover for poor personnel decisions (QB, OL) by the front office.

Somehow in all the recent turmoil our scouting department has escaped all scrutiny and accountability, when they are clearly at the root of the issue. Why isn't Matt Russell, who has been head of scouting for the last 5 years, the most obvious candidate for replacement and upgrade in the entire Broncos organization? I know that he and Elway are good drinking buddies, but if Elway truly holds himself and his employees accountable, he'll get past the gross cronyism and make the necessary change in the area of greatest deficiency.

His clock is ticking too. Elway needs to keep as many fall guys around as possible and then fire them in the most strategically advantageous method possible. Whatever it takes to protect Elway, not the Broncos.

Comment

He's better protected than most because he's friends with Elway. Russell hasn't drafted a single Pro Bowl player in five years...but let's fire the coordinator after half a season because he couldn't put lipstick on a pig (which is exactly what the other teams were saying).
      Last edited by UnitedInOrange; 11-23-2017, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UnitedInOrange View Post
        He's better protected than most because he's friends with Elway. Russell hasn't drafted a single Pro Bowl player in five years...but let's fire the coordinator after half a season because he couldn't put lipstick on a pig (which is exactly what the other teams were saying).

Truth be told yes he deserves to get the Axe however lets not forget that McCoys offensive scheme has down right been deplorable so he rightfully so deserved to get the axe another one on the hot seat should be Brock Olivio.

Comment

Like I said before, Atlanta's ownership got tired of the same problem and threatened the Scouting Team and GM that if they didn't get at least 3 starters heads were going to roll. That was early 2016, they pulled it off and had a strong team. I think our ownership put this team on AutoPilot and John has no accountability. He needs to put some pressure on the scouting team or it will cost him soon!
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
            His clock is ticking too. Elway needs to keep as many fall guys around as possible and then fire them in the most strategically advantageous method possible. Whatever it takes to protect Elway, not the Broncos.
            Do you see the familiarity with this whole situation?

We've seen it before in the last 15 years during the Mike Shanahan area when everybody else was scapegoated except for Mike.

I would say that Matt Russell is to blame If he is truly responsible for these horrible draft picks. However who is the guy that not only gave him the position but is keeping him there?

I for one truly do not believe that Russell is making a draft selections therefore he is not the problem.

Von Miller said it exactly one month ago today that problems start from the top down.

So If those of you with the orange and blue glasses don't want to hear it from your fellow fans, at least listen to one of the top dog superstar players in the league that is a part of this organization when he says it.

Comment

Too drunk to sit on it.

Comment

Maybe I have this wrong but the way I’m understanding it is that Xanders was in charge of scouting and compiling data and stuff and decisions were made based on that by elway. Then when Xanders was shown the door and Russell was brought in to take over the same role things started going down hill in terms of our drafts. While he doesn’t make the decisions, decisions are being made based on the information he presents.

Comment

So true. We need a front office makeover.

Comment

At this point, I'm pretty sure we'd be better off just using the Mike Mayock Big Board on draft day. Saves money, and at least we'll avoid the recurrence of Ty Sambrailo or Michael Schofield type picks where we outsmart everyone. And maybe we'll luck into a Pro Bowl player at least once in 5 years...

Comment

friends with Elway, simply put.
                      Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Yep Elway gets rid of Xanders quickly yet Russell get's no heat. Elway took over as the football czar in 2011, and immediately hit a home run with Miller, a future Hall-of-Famer. His 2012 haul yielded a ridiculous amount of quality (Derek Wolfe, Brock Osweiler, Ronnie Hillman, Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan). That's a grand slam.

But -- here's an interesting nugget -- the Broncos no longer have any member of the 2013 class on their current roster. They lost the final two this offseason, with Sylvester Williams and Kayvon Webster bolting in free agency. Elway nabbed Matt Paradis and Bradley Roby in 2014, but also Michael Schofield and Cody Latimer, a bust of a second-round selection.

The jury is still out on Elway's last two draft classes. He found some definite gems (Trevor Siemian, Andy Janovich), but whiffed on others (Ty Sambrailo, Jeff Heuerman). The Broncos' second-round pick last year, defensive end Adam Gotsis, barely saw the field. Fifth-rounder Connor McGovern, despite the offensive line imploding on a weekly basis, was a healthy scratch all season.

Elway is certainly one of the league's elite executives, the architect of a club that's already appeared in two Super Bowls under his reign. But there's little doubt that many of his draft choices have left much to be desired.
                        Bronco Bob

Comment

At this point, I'm pretty sure we'd be better off just using the Mike Mayock Big Board on draft day. Saves money, and at least we'll avoid the recurrence of Ty Sambrailo or Michael Schofield type picks where we outsmart everyone. And maybe we'll luck into a Pro Bowl player at least once in 5 years...
                          I never understood how they don’t make the obvious pick. Like to this day I will never get how we drafted Ronnie Holman over Lamar miller. I realize Lamar miller isn’t a hall of famer by any stretch but he was bigger faster stronger and obviously the better back coming out but we chose someone else. It was common knowledge.

Comment

At least Elway is bringing in Kubiak to babysit Matt. The dude is very obviously terrible at his job, but is being retained because he's in John's circle. However, bringing back Kubes could be a big help.

Comment

Does he even do a full 7-round mock draft for every team? I don't pay much attention to his stuff so I'm not sure. Anyway, for what it's worth, here's a comparison between the last 5 first round selections..

Mike Mayock

2013: Björn Werner (DE)
                              2014: Jason Verrett (CB) (1 Pro Bowl in 2015)
                              2015: Jake Fisher (OT)
                              2016: Karl Joseph (SS)
                              2017: Ryan Ramczyk (OT)

John Elway

2013: Sylvester Williams (DT)
                              2014: Bradley Roby (CB)
                              2015: Shane Ray (DE)
                              2016: Paxton Lynch (QB)
                              2017: Garett Bolles (OT)
                              Adopted Poster
                              AZ Snake Fan

Comment