I think it's bye bye Thomas next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by munoz1987 View Post
    this pick killed me. i was a huge Landry fan that yr and still am. Both guys are free agents. i would love to see them Dump DT for one of these guy's. Robinson coming off an acl injury and could be in line for a 2 yr prove it contract.
    Landry is exactly what we need. A WR that can get open quickly off the line leads too Easy throws for the QB.
    Hell yeah, my man. I'm all for that. I love me some Landry and Robinson. It'll be tough to draw either of them with a huge question mark at quarterback, but I would love to see one of them in Denver.

Landry is one of my favorites in the league, but Robinson would come on the cheaper side. Like you mentioned, he's coming off an injury and had a down year the year prior after exploding onto the scene as a sophomore. Maybe we can try what Philly did with Alshon.

Latimer is my least favorite Bronco and I really hope we move on from him. Regardless of how he plays on special teams - which our special teams unit has stunk it up this year.

I strongly believe we need to re-work the WR position, with only Sanders and Henderson carrying over to next year. I'll give Henderson the benefit of the doubt because of the injury. McKenzie should be 50/50 for next years roster.

Going to be interesting to see who we move on from this offseason and how we approach it.
    2016 Adopt-A-Bronco: CB-Chris Harris Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
      DT has started 98 games, AJ 97. DT has 400 more yards and 70 more receptions. DT for drop rate has caught 60.7% of his targets, AJ has caught 59.5%. Same amount of TDs, averaging .56 per game. AJ leads in ypc at 14.9 vs DT's 13.8, and he also has 4 less fumbles than DT- 9 vs 13.

DT however steps it up in the playoffs, AJ does not. Though DT has 6 more playoff games so we'll look at averages here.. Day averages 0.6 TDs 5.3 catches and 75.9 yards per playoff game at 14.3ypc. AJ 0.25 TDs 4.5 catches and 58 yards per playoff game at 12.9ypc. Both have a single fumble, while DT has a catch rate of 55.7 compared to AJ's 45%.

AJ Green signed a 4 year 60mil(15mil/year) contract in 2015, DT signed a 5 year 70mil(14mil/year) contract in the same year.

Not going to try and argue which is better, just a little comparison and some food for thought.

Julio jones is an entirely different animal, a league above both DT and AJ. Having more yards in less games than the two of them, higher ypc, higher catch%. Averaging a playoff stat line of 106.5 yards and 7.2 catches, his 5 TDs in 6 games also presents the best average of the three WRs.
      Eh, DT had Peyton Manning throwing to him. Look up stats for Harrison and Wayne. There is no doubt in my mind DT is good but not as good as AJ or Julio..

Comment

Originally posted by Chop_Block View Post
        Eh, DT had Peyton Manning throwing to him. Look up stats for Harrison and Wayne. There is no doubt in my mind DT is good but not as good as AJ or Julio..
        He sure did. As well as Orton, Tebow, Siemien, Lynch, and Osweiler. He also had 2015 Manning, who was hardly a good QB that year.

35 of Dts 98 starts came with Tebow, Siemien, Lynch, and Osweiler. 9 more came from 2015 Manning. 44 starts, nearly 50% of his starts, with below average QB play, at best.

So yes, DT benefitted from having a very good QB for a few years, but he also proved he is capable of maintaining a high level of play with several different average to terrible HCs, OCs, and QBs. You cannot say that for all top tier WRs. DT has not had the luxury of consistency.

I believe he will restructure this offseason. He is a model human as well as great football player. Produces on the field, helps the community, stays off the police blotter and stays on the field, even when injured he does not often miss a game.

We have been lucky to have him and will be lucky to keep him, now let's get him a consistent and productive quarterback.

PS - I disagree about AJ, but agree on Julio.
        Last edited by Papa-pwn; 12-02-2017, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
          I think he will be asked to take a pay cut, and it'll all go from the there. I can see a similar situation in Dallas with Bryant. It's funny because out of Thomas, AJ Green, Bryant, and Julio,

AJ, and Julio have lived up to their contracts, DT, and Dez haven't. I was a big DT fan, but he isn't the playmaker he used to be. It would stink to have that dead money, though.
          The interesting part is when u look at the different circumstances surrounding all three and the similarities within their slumps. Dez isn’t on the field enough to justify his money. He’s safe in DAL because Jerry loves him and will protect him no matter how much of a headache he is off the field.

Now when u look at AJ and JJ and them “living up” to their money, both have competent QB’s that drive the offense through them. And when their respective OC’s tried to change that function, their QB’s struggled and their production ground to a halt. AJ didn’t have a TD until their OC was fired and JJ until week 6 and still only has 3 on the season.

With that, DT has had abysmal QB play since his contract. VJ said he wanted the offense to go through DT, but it just doesn’t feel that way. We don’t use him in the red zone at all, actually Brock was the only one who tried. So much of his drop in production is related to how the offense is run.

The other part is his hip. Gotta give him credit for powering through the pain. But we would almost be better served with him going on IR for the rest of the year, have the surgery, and be ready for OTA’s when we have a new more competent QB.

And I do believe DT would restructure. He’s a lifer and I really believe he’d do what was needed to stay apart of the franchise. Plus he is a locker room leader and one of the players that could honestly be considered role models. I would just love to see the franchise do right by him and get a QB that can get him back on track.
          #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chop_Block View Post
            Thomas was the best receiver in the NFL the last 5 weeks of the 2011 season, with the fullback staring him down and shotputting the ball to him. His success happened without Manning as well.

Comment

i think he will be asked and probably will restructure. but i don't see him gone. he gets way to much hate on this forum though
              sigpic
              oakland raders gm
              latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                i think he will be asked and probably will restructure. but i don't see him gone. he gets way to much hate on this forum though
                Right. There's not a lot of WRs like him, concerning his lack of character issues and high level of talent. Rare combination.

Comment

Thomas won't re-negotiate his contract to take/make less money.

I'd bet on it.
                  "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

Comment

Originally posted by onanygivensunda View Post
                    Thomas won't re-negotiate his contract to take/make less money.

I'd bet on it.
                    I wouldn't either to be honest, why would I want to help out a team that just tried to trade me. I would tell them ill stay and play but I'm not taking a penny less, fair is fair.

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                      I wouldn't either to be honest, why would I want to help out a team that just tried to trade me. I would tell them ill stay and play but I'm not taking a penny less, fair is fair.
                      2017 is an option year in Thomas' contract, the Broncos had between February 2017 up to the end of the league year in February to exercise the option or Thomas becomes a free agent. There's been no word on whether they've exercised it, which means they probably haven't so the odds are he'll be a free agent in March and will probably get paid elsewhere.

It'll be interesting to see how many here who dislike Thomas will be angry at Elway if they can't find an adequate replacement and Thomas goes on somewhere else to put up the same numbers he's put up in Denver?

Here's the source for the option year info:

https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/...8-cap-and-free

Also mentioned here:

https://overthecap.com/player/demaryius-thomas/17/

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                        2017 is an option year in Thomas' contract, the Broncos had between February 2017 up to the end of the league year in February to exercise the option or Thomas becomes a free agent. There's been no word on whether they've exercised it, which means they probably haven't so the odds are he'll be a free agent in March and will probably get paid elsewhere.

It'll be interesting to see how many here who dislike Thomas will be angry at Elway if they can't find an adequate replacement and Thomas goes on somewhere else to put up the same numbers he's put up in Denver?

Here's the source for the option year info:

https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/...8-cap-and-free

Also mentioned here:

https://overthecap.com/player/demaryius-thomas/17/
                        I love Thomas, I don't want him to go anywhere. I can't think of a receiver out there that will be any better. I didn't know about the option deal either, if that is true why would they try trade him before the deadline? If they could just walk away next offseason without taking a cap hit, trading him makes zero since.

Comment

I love Thomas, I don't want him to go anywhere. I can't think of a receiver out there that will be any better. I didn't know about the option deal either, if that is true why would they try trade him before the deadline? If they could just walk away next offseason without taking a cap hit, trading him makes zero since.
                          I disagree, however I do believe he was once a great wide receiver, I think it’s time that he tries his luck with another team. Maybe he could even cash in on another huge contract.

There will be plenty of free agent wide receivers on the market and all of them can be franchise.

Tyrelle Pryor, Mike Wallace, Sammy Watkins, Tyler Gabriel, Matt Slater, Danny Amendola, Michael Floyd, Jordan Matthew, DeAnthony Thomas, Daunte Moncrief. To name a few but the one wide receiver that is bothering me right now is Emmanuel Sanders. His tweet last week was pretty scary and I’m hoping that he doesn’t decide to demand a trade.
                          Last edited by Sam_Z; 12-02-2017, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                            I disagree, however I do believe he was once a great wide receiver, I think it’s time that he tries his luck with another team. Maybe he could even cash in on another huge contract.

There will be plenty of free agent wide receivers on the market and all of them can be franchise.

Tyrelle Pryor, Mike Wallace, Sammy Watkins, Tyler Gabriel, Matt Slater, Danny Amendola, Michael Floyd, Jordan Matthew, DeAnthony Thomas, Daunte Moncrief. To name a few but the one wide receiver that is bothering me right now is Emmanuel Sanders. His tweet last week was pretty scary and I’m hoping that he doesn’t decide to demand a trade.
                            None of those players can be franchise receivers. Some of them (some) can provide value at reasonable prices, but none of them are close to franchise receivers. Matthew Slater is a great special teams player, isn't a receiver at all. He's been with the Pats since 2008 and has 1 career catch back in 2011.

If the Broncos can get value for Sanders they should trade him whether he demands a trade or not. Go all in with the rebuild. Sanders will be 31 in March and his cap numbers go up to $10.9 and $12.9 the next two years. Trading him this spring will result in a $5.4 million cap hit but will save them $5.5 million against the cap in 2018. The next two years become fully guaranteed if he's on the roster in March.

Comment

Not really, trading him would have given them value for him, which they wouldn't get if they just walk away from the option. It also puts the option (and subsequent cap hit) on the new team. And it would have allowed them to take some of the remaining cap hit this year.

I think they should keep him as well, but I'm not sure they will.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                                None of those players can be franchise receivers. Some of them (some) can provide value at reasonable prices, but none of them are close to franchise receivers. Matthew Slater is a great special teams player, isn't a receiver at all. He's been with the Pats since 2008 and has 1 career catch back in 2011.

If the Broncos can get value for Sanders they should trade him whether he demands a trade or not. Go all in with the rebuild. Sanders will be 31 in March and his cap numbers go up to $10.9 and $12.9 the next two years. Trading him this spring will result in a $5.4 million cap hit but will save them $5.5 million against the cap in 2018. The next two years become fully guaranteed if he's on the roster in March.
                                I would assume Sanders is the most likely to leave out of the two of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X