Maybe there is more to playing quarterback than I thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe there is more to playing quarterback than I thought

Since the retirement of Peyton Manning, the Broncos missed the playoffs and are now three and nine.

This is basically the same team minus Peyton Manning.

Even though they won that Super Bowl on the strength of their defense, maybe the quarterbacks influence does extend to other areas of the team.

What do you think?

Originally posted by dolphinsneu View Post
    Smaybe the quarterbacks influence does extend to other areas of the team.
    I've been saying that about Manning for some time. IMO, he had a HUGE influence on the team that went FAR beyond his passing stats.

Comment

Quarterback is unquestionably important, but Denver has lost some other key contributors from the SB 50 Championship. DeMarcus Ware, Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, TJ Ward, and Britton Colquitt played major roles in the team's success in 2015 and all have left the Broncos. Also, the current coaching staff is far less capable than the previous regime (Wade Phillips in particular).

Manning's immense value, even in his broken-down 2015 form, should not be overlooked, but it's also unfair to act like he's the only variable that has changed between the championship and this year's debacle.

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighInNY View Post
        Manning's immense value, even in his broken-down 2015 form
        His understanding of the game and mental preparation kept him going. No QB currently in the league could play with the physical limitations Manning had in his final season.

Comment

His final year made me realize how important intangibles are.

Comment

Originally posted by Bootleg View Post
            His understanding of the game and mental preparation kept him going. No QB currently in the league could play with the physical limitations Manning had in his final season.
            I agree; his ability to read the defense and call pre-snap audibles to counter what the other team was doing was unmatched and hugely important. That ability is completely absent in our current stable of QBs and we see the results.

Comment

I think it was more than his ability to read the defense. I think he had a big influence on the locker room. I remember reading that his work habits and winning attitude greatly affected the team's outlook.

Comment

This is what happens when a team loses the greatest QB that has ever played for them. Losing Peyton set this team back years.

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighInNY View Post
                  I agree; his ability to read the defense and call pre-snap audibles to counter what the other team was doing was unmatched and hugely important. That ability is completely absent in our current stable of QBs and we see the results.

He must have spent countless hours watching his own play during the time he spent sidelined with the injury. He seemed more aware of his physical limitations upon his return in week 17 vs the Chargers. He was still as sharp as ever mentally. The quick throws, audibles to run plays and hard counts were vintage Manning, and helped gain the #1 seed.

Comment

When you touch the ball every snap, it certainly helps to have talent
                    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

When your QB is the team Alpha, that goes a long way. None of our 3 currently would ever be considered the unquestioned team leader and heart and soul.

Comment

I hear that we're considering drafting him as our quarterback with our 1st round pick

Comment

To go with our 2nd round pick at right tackle

Comment

Originally posted by AZBobalu View Post
                            I hear that we're considering drafting him as our quarterback with our 1st round pick
                            Originally posted by AZBobalu View Post
                            To go with our 2nd round pick at right tackle
                            Way to stay classy....
                            Last edited by Broncos-R-Great; 12-06-2017, 12:25 PM.

Comment

What's funny is so many here couldn't wait for Manning to retire, they would trash him in every thread, say things like "he can't run an NFL offense", this was even before he started to struggle in 2015.

I remember some of the ridiculous threads like the one called "The not so Denver Broncos", I guess cause he wasn't drafted by the Broncos, whoever started that thread didn't like him. Another thread blamed Manning in 2013 cause he was too good at scoring, and caused the defense to struggle.

I remember the posters who begged and begged for Osweiler to start, how has that worked out? Lol

All I could do is laugh and think "wait until life after Manning", all those who complained about Manning have gone quiet now, they've realized we had it pretty good under him.

I know one thing, going 13-3 with the Not So Denver Broncos was a lot funnier than going 3-13 with the current Denver Broncos.

Comment

Working...
                              X