Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can our franchise (Elway's GM career) survive drafting a QB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can our franchise (Elway's GM career) survive drafting a QB?

Going into the offseason we have one of three options.

1) Stick with any combo of Brock, Trevor, Paxton, and Chad. (Boo)
    2) Find a QB in FA or trade. (Beware the Alex Smith...)
    3) Draft a Quarterback..

I highly doubt we stick with only option one, but hey anything could happen. But for this thread we're nixing that for now. So that leaves us with the glaring question. What do we do? Go out and 'buy' a quarterback. Or hand pick another. I very highly doubt we do both. If Elway swipes himself a veteran, he's going to be our guy for the next 2 seasons minimum. (Unless beat out by Kelly).

Drafting a QB means we're rebuilding pure and simple. And unless we grab a Carson Wentz, there's a good chance the remainder of our core talent will deteriorate as we wait for the youngster to come into his own.

Originally posted by Insane Tacos View Post
    Going into the offseason we have one of three options.

1) Stick with any combo of Brock, Trevor, Paxton, and Chad. (Boo)
    2) Find a QB in FA or trade. (Beware the Alex Smith...)
    3) Draft a Quarterback..

I highly doubt we stick with only option one, but hey anything could happen. But for this thread we're nixing that for now. So that leaves us with the glaring question. What do we do? Go out and 'buy' a quarterback. Or hand pick another. I very highly doubt we do both. If Elway swipes himself a veteran, he's going to be our guy for the next 2 seasons minimum. (Unless beat out by Kelly).

Drafting a QB means we're rebuilding pure and simple. And unless we grab a Carson Wentz, there's a good chance the remainder of our core talent will deteriorate as we wait for the youngster to come into his own.
    I think at this point there should be no question that our first pick is going to be offensive line or QB. You're right in that if we draft a QB in the first there will be a growing period as our defense ages even more, but since Manning departed, Elway has drafted for need so it seems we'll be doing that again. Keenum has been named as the best fit by Field Yates at ESPN, and i agree with him. Personally I believe the best option would be to get Case Keenum and use our first round pick to get the best OT possible, and bring Watson in as a guard, and get rid of Max Garcia. Keenum also will be friendlier on the cap space, as we are estimated to have a total $30 million or so in cap spendings and Keenum is estimated to get around a sub 20 million/year contract. That really also depends on how much the Vikings are willing to spend to keep Keenum though, or if they want to keep Bradford and Bridgewater.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Bolt/Broncos-named-best-fit-for-impending-free-agent-QB-Case-Keenum-112008130/Amp
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
      I think at this point there should be no question that our first pick is going to be offensive line or QB. You're right in that if we draft a QB in the first there will be a growing period as our defense ages even more, but since Manning departed, Elway has drafted for need so it seems we'll be doing that again. Keenum has been named as the best fit by Field Yates at ESPN, and i agree with him. Personally I believe the best option would be to get Case Keenum and use our first round pick to get the best OT possible, and bring Watson in as a guard, and get rid of Max Garcia. Keenum also will be friendlier on the cap space, as we are estimated to have a total $30 million or so in cap spendings and Keenum is estimated to get around a sub 20 million/year contract. That really also depends on how much the Vikings are willing to spend to keep Keenum though, or if they want to keep Bradford and Bridgewater.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spor...-112008130/Amp
      It didn't really take that long for Dak, Wentz or Goff to grow. Due to all of the rule changes regarding how defenses are allowed to defend receivers on top of it becoming a huge pass heavy league it really shouldn't take long for top draft picks to develop anymore. That really should be a thing of the past.

Now personally I fear for a top 10 QB's safety behind our oline which is why I would rather take oline first. But I think it's an extremely poor assumption that if Elway does take one that the kid can't come in and have success in a very short time frame long before our defense window closes.
      sigpic

Comment

I have gone back and forth on this a million times. I have decided there really is only 1 Vet I would be ok with getting and that is Cousins. Everyone else is too old (I don't want 1 or 2 years of relevance just to be back in the same situation) or a Journeyman. I don't See Keenum taking us anywhere, I think this season with him is a fluke. No one else that will be available shows Franchise material other then Cousins to me.

For me its either Cousins or Draft, personally im Leaning towards the draft. This QB class looks to be hard to miss on, we will have a cheap QB to work with and use the rest of the picks and cap money to shore up other spots. I think Cousins will cost to much and we wont be able to fix the other holes we need to.
        sigpic
        BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Comment

Originally posted by dipablo View Post
          I have gone back and forth on this a million times. I have decided there really is only 1 Vet I would be ok with getting and that is Cousins. Everyone else is too old (I don't want 1 or 2 years of relevance just to be back in the same situation) or a Journeyman. I don't See Keenum taking us anywhere, I think this season with him is a fluke. No one else that will be available shows Franchise material other then Cousins to me.

For me its either Cousins or Draft, personally im Leaning towards the draft. This QB class looks to be hard to miss on, we will have a cheap QB to work with and use the rest of the picks and cap money to shore up other spots. I think Cousins will cost to much and we wont be able to fix the other holes we need to.
          Honestly I don't know why people expect Keenum to be available anyway. After this season the Vikings are going to throw the kitchen sink at him. No way they let him walk and settle for two injury prone QB's who may not last till the end of next year. I highly doubt either of them ranking higher in priority to the Vikings than Keenum. It may be a fluke and I kind of agree. But regardless they will most likely pay for it over the other options.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
            Honestly I don't know why people expect Keenum to be available anyway. After this season the Vikings are going to throw the kitchen sink at him. No way they let him walk and settle for two injury prone QB's who may not last till the end of next year. I highly doubt either of them ranking higher in priority to the Vikings than Keenum. It may be a fluke and I kind of agree. But regardless they will most likely pay for it over the other options.
            I agree with everything, to add to that say they keep Keenum and only 1 other. I wouldn't want Bradford Or Bridgewater, Neither can stay healthy. What other options are there?? Luck? also cant stay healthy and may never be healthy again. Brees and Manning are too old, like I said as awesome as it would be to have them they only have 1-2 years left, and with the money we would have to pay them they may not last that long behind this line!

Cousins is young enough and spry enough to maybe not die behind this line, but I still think we dump money into the oline and roll the dice on Mayfield, Darnold whoever.
            sigpic
            BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Comment

I agree with everything, to add to that say they keep Keenum and only 1 other. I wouldn't want Bradford Or Bridgewater, Neither can stay healthy. What other options are there?? Luck? also cant stay healthy and may never be healthy again. Brees and Manning are too old, like I said as awesome as it would be to have them they only have 1-2 years left, and with the money we would have to pay them they may not last that long behind this line!

Cousins is young enough and spry enough to maybe not die behind this line, but I still think we dump money into the oline and roll the dice on Mayfield, Darnold whoever.
              Your back half of your last line is my preferred scenario. Fix the RT first and roll with a youngster. Cousins will still demand far too high of a salary for a barely top 10 QB. And I don't know that you can really argue that our offense is better than what he has now as far as playmakers. He would have a far superior defense though.
              sigpic

Comment

Tough question In deed, how would Elway look if he drafted one of these guys high and they failed to perform just as lynch and Oz!

Guess it’s a safe assumption to say that is why I believe we will pursue Kirk Cousins or perhaps Andrew luck (if available throughout trade) at almost any cost.

I’m not high on any of these QBs coming out of the draft. Rosen has the Jay Cutler/Ryan Leaf attitude, Darnolds delivery takes too long, mayfield is exciting but sometimes his throwing motion looks more like Tebow’s than Favres.

Elway should definitely Persue Cousins unless Drew Lock declares but either way Persue Cousins!

Comment

This is where I am at too. I feel like Cousins would be the best option. Sell the farm for Cousins or Luck..

But like I've said there's this bad spot in my stomach that is screaming Alex Smith's name.....

Comment

This is where I am at too. I feel like Cousins would be the best option. Sell the farm for Cousins or Luck..

But like I've said there's this bad spot in my stomach that is screaming Alex Smith's name.....
                    That's just heart burn. You can take Tums for that.
                    sigpic

Comment

He can draft one but he can’t afford to miss again. Whoever he picks has to contribute day 1 and has to be better than anyone picked after him. Wilson outshine Brock and Dak outshined lynch. If whoever he picks struggles while guys picked later hit the ground running I think it will cost him his job this time around.

But if he passes on taking a QB signs a vet and the QB he passes on turns into a franchise QB that will also hang over his head.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                        Tough question In deed, how would Elway look if he drafted one of these guys high and they failed to perform just as lynch and Oz!

Guess it’s a safe assumption to say that is why I believe we will pursue Kirk Cousins or perhaps Andrew luck (if available throughout trade) at almost any cost.

I’m not high on any of these QBs coming out of the draft. Rosen has the Jay Cutler/Ryan Leaf attitude, Darnolds delivery takes too long, mayfield is exciting but sometimes his throwing motion looks more like Tebow’s than Favres.

Elway should definitely Persue Cousins unless Drew Lock declares but either way Persue Cousins!
                        the difference is those guys are considered bonifide 1st round picks, lynch was considered a project with talent, oz was a project who came out early

its not often we have the chance when we need a qb to draft high and get one, for the next 10-15 years...I cant see any other smart move but to draft one of these guys, and package a couple picks to move up and get a RT to go with with him

cousins would immediately kill the cap...hurting our chances to retain our FA talent or extend players
                        sigpic
                        when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Originally posted by arapaho View Post
                          the difference is those guys are considered bonifide 1st round picks, lynch was considered a project with talent, oz was a project who came out early

its not often we have the chance when we need a qb to draft high and get one, for the next 10-15 years...I cant see any other smart move but to draft one of these guys, and package a couple picks to move up and get a RT to go with with him

cousins would immediately kill the cap...hurting our chances to retain our FA talent or extend players

Would it be possible to afford Keenum, AND be able to draft a QB?

Say at QB we've got -Mayfield/Keenum/Kelly
                          Trade up picks for an RT.

We're already be instantly better in two of our biggest weaknesses.

Comment

Keenum won't be available. If the Vikings don't extend him prior to the new league year I would fully expect them to franchise tag him.
                            sigpic

Comment

They can do both the problem is they can’t sign both a starting quality QB and a starting quality O-lineman. One would have to be addressed in free agency the other in the draft. I really feel like there will be a talented QB or two that falls into the early second I can’t buy mayfield surging from 5th round to top 5 and I’m starting to see Jackson fall down the boards.

Comment

Working...
                              X