Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can our franchise (Elway's GM career) survive drafting a QB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mind drafting a QB, as long as the words 'Project', 'Tall', or 'Reached' are attached to that pick.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
      They can do both the problem is they can’t sign both a starting quality QB and a starting quality O-lineman. One would have to be addressed in free agency the other in the draft. I really feel like there will be a talented QB or two that falls into the early second I can’t buy mayfield surging from 5th round to top 5 and I’m starting to see Jackson fall down the boards.
      Sure they can do both in free agency. They currently have $33 mil in cap space to spend in 2018 and I read where there is a good chance they let Talib and I forget who else walk and it would open up another $15 mil in free agency.

$48 mil would be way more than enough to sign Cousins and the top RT while still adding more quality pieces in the draft.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm all for drafting a QB, but do we have the right coaches in place to properly develop a QB? I'm not so sure.
        Last edited by ELWAY421; 12-14-2017, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Insane Tacos View Post
          Going into the offseason we have one of three options.

1) Stick with any combo of Brock, Trevor, Paxton, and Chad. (Boo)
          2) Find a QB in FA or trade. (Beware the Alex Smith...)
          3) Draft a Quarterback..

I highly doubt we stick with only option one, but hey anything could happen. But for this thread we're nixing that for now. So that leaves us with the glaring question. What do we do? Go out and 'buy' a quarterback. Or hand pick another. I very highly doubt we do both. If Elway swipes himself a veteran, he's going to be our guy for the next 2 seasons minimum. (Unless beat out by Kelly).

Drafting a QB means we're rebuilding pure and simple. And unless we grab a Carson Wentz, there's a good chance the remainder of our core talent will deteriorate as we wait for the youngster to come into his own.
          I think you explained it, but I do believe you could have added the option of a combined 2 and 3. Acquire a vet and draft. That option seems very likely to me, UNLESS we land a top quality vet, or pretty much know we are landing the best QB in the draft....though even if we knew (somehow), I'd still want a vet to fill the initial gap.

Yes, we've discussed this theme many times, so maybe I will be repeating myself too often. But for me, in a QB driven league, I would be fine with Cousins, allowing us to skip a 1st round QB to be utilized in selecting a top tier Oliner/BPA with our #1 pick. And given we have a solid 2nd round pick, we can add another talented young man to a group that needs some help. Could be a WR or TE, or even a stud defender, if available. Remember, by the time we draft, we may have already solidified some places that needed to be filled.

And if we go for a medium calibre vet, I can then see us going for a QB with our #1 pick...maybe even moving up a little if we want a certain guy. Problem then is acquiring enough O support to make us a complete unit. Maybe an Oliner in FA, definitely with our 2nd pick.

This comes down to a basic formula on O, in my opinion:
          1) We need a QB for the long term, and we need someone to take over in '18...unless Chad Kelly is the saviour. Not sure about that.
          2) We need a quality OT, otherwise we are only patching big holes.
          3) We need to consider WR, TE and even another RB in order to give our O legit credibility.
          4) We also need to pay attention to our D, and not assume anything long run, other than it needs TLC as well.
          5) Lets not forget Special teams....looked promising coming into the season, but is it where it needs to be???

Interesting if Bridgewater became available. Sure he got hurt bad, but if he recovers well, folks need to remember that he was expected to lead the Vikes for many years, and was just coming into his own as a winner. Love to have him and a good QB in the draft. Still think that if we land a good vet, we might be able to use our #1 pick for a stud, and move up if necessary to pick a QB later in round one.

Conversely, if we land Cousins, maybe even Bridgewater or another quality vet, we could trade down and add several young studs to our lineup. Think OT, WR, LB, TE....most who could start day one.

Comment

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on getting McCarron, drafting the top OT with our 1st, MLB in 2nd, WR and DB from there out. Maybe a NT to plan behind Peko for the future should be in the mix too.

Comment

Sure it can. In fact, drafting Baker Mayfield likely lengthens each member of the FO's career.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                Sure they can do both in free agency. They currently have $33 mil in cap space to spend in 2018 and I read where there is a good chance they let Talib and I forget who else walk and it would open up another $15 mil in free agency.

$48 mil would be way more than enough to sign Cousins and the top RT while still adding more quality pieces in the draft.
                A lot of that goes into resigning the guys who have expired deals and filling out the roster so it’s alot less than you think. After you factor those signings and the money that gets set aside for the draft picks it’s like half of what the starting number is.

Comment

Isn't Rosen the best qb in the draft. Isn't he pro style offense ? We need someone who can play now. Either a solid FA or a rookie who doesn't need much polishing .

Comment

Going into the offseason we have one of three options.

1) Stick with any combo of Brock, Trevor, Paxton, and Chad. (Boo)
                    2) Find a QB in FA or trade. (Beware the Alex Smith...)
                    3) Draft a Quarterback..

I highly doubt we stick with only option one, but hey anything could happen. But for this thread we're nixing that for now. So that leaves us with the glaring question. What do we do? Go out and 'buy' a quarterback. Or hand pick another. I very highly doubt we do both. If Elway swipes himself a veteran, he's going to be our guy for the next 2 seasons minimum. (Unless beat out by Kelly).

Drafting a QB means we're rebuilding pure and simple. And unless we grab a Carson Wentz, there's a good chance the remainder of our core talent will deteriorate as we wait for the youngster to come into his own.

I disagree. There is actually a Fouth option no one is talking about. It consists in not carrying a WB. What you say? Yes, everyone says this is a QB driven league, well let's change the league. Let's adopt a system without a QB where multiple people can thrown, not one assigned to it and develop an offensive line with 10 players and direct snap it to the RB and do some other trickery. That way we can savec money and revolutionize the game.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
                      A lot of that goes into resigning the guys who have expired deals and filling out the roster so it’s alot less than you think. After you factor those signings and the money that gets set aside for the draft picks it’s like half of what the starting number is.
                      No the article from ESPN clearly stated that outside of Talib they don't really have anyone with an expiring contract that they should be that concerned with having to pay. They've reworked most of the core in prior years. And they said letting Talib and Cj Anderson go in favor or Roby and Booker could net the other $15 mil. And really not that much money gets set aside for draft picks due to the rookie salary cap. Not for 2018 anyway.

So even if they keep Talib and CJ it would be $33 mil and if they don't it's over $40 mil.

Half the space would be $16.5 mil. They had more than that last year to spend in free agency and that's with a lot more people having gotten extensions. It's a lot more than you think it appears
                      sigpic

Comment

I meant to say QB. WB=QB

Comment

Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
                          Isn't Rosen the best qb in the draft. Isn't he pro style offense ? We need someone who can play now. Either a solid FA or a rookie who doesn't need much polishing .
                          Rosen won't drop past the first two picks. Both of which are out of the Broncos reach.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                            It didn't really take that long for Dak, Wentz or Goff to grow. Due to all of the rule changes regarding how defenses are allowed to defend receivers on top of it becoming a huge pass heavy league it really shouldn't take long for top draft picks to develop anymore. That really should be a thing of the past.

Now personally I fear for a top 10 QB's safety behind our oline which is why I would rather take oline first. But I think it's an extremely poor assumption that if Elway does take one that the kid can't come in and have success in a very short time frame long before our defense window closes.
                            I'd have to see it first. I don't think most QBs come in and look good right away, the ones that do usually have good protection (Wentz/Goff), and the ones that don't need good protection to succeed are exceptionally rare, such as Watson and Wilson. Even if we get a great franchise QB, I still think it will take on average a full season before they piece it together, since there's so much information and techniques to process and learn. You are very much right though in that if our o line isn't figured out it won't matter who's behind there.
                            Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

This is where I am at too. I feel like Cousins would be the best option. Sell the farm for Cousins or Luck..

But like I've said there's this bad spot in my stomach that is screaming Alex Smith's name.....
                              I would be more upset if he paid a vet $130M and he didn't work out and we are stuck with all that dead money. Miss on a rookie QB and the dead money is very manageable, yeah the pride will take a hit again, but we should make sure we have a good QB coach for him.

Keep in mind, Keenum wasn't anything special nor Cousins in their first years, just after a few years they just get used to it and start to hone their skills because they are not overwhelmed with the speed of the game anymore, they are at the next level of their development.
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                                I don't mind drafting a QB, as long as the words 'Project', 'Tall', or 'Reached' are attached to that pick.
                                Did you forget the word "not" between are and attached?

Comment

Working...
                                X