Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can our franchise (Elway's GM career) survive drafting a QB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• River Side
    replied
    Just draft OL and fix secondary .. Cousins or Luk will be killed behind this line.

Leave a comment:

• Kyousukeneko
    replied
    Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Are they looking to trade him? I live in Boston and haven't heard any noise about this. Lots of noise about them letting Butler go though.
    he is a free agent at the end of this year. and there is still no new contract in place. if he hits the market as a free agent he is the top of my wants list.

Leave a comment:

• broncoslover115
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    i really want ot see us bring in Nate solder, local denver boy, good ot. would instantly solidify our line.
    Are they looking to trade him? I live in Boston and haven't heard any noise about this. Lots of noise about them letting Butler go though.

Leave a comment:

• FL BRONCO
    replied
    Originally posted by RobertR View Post
    Did you forget the word "not" between are and attached?
    Well I certainly like your version better

Leave a comment:

• lvbronx
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    i really want ot see us bring in Nate solder, local denver boy, good ot. would instantly solidify our line.
    The thing about Solder is he would help us at a position of need and at the same time weaken the Pats.

Leave a comment:

• Kyousukeneko
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Insane Tacos
    replied
    Originally posted by haciendadad View Post
    I would be more upset if he paid a vet $130M and he didn't work out and we are stuck with all that dead money. Miss on a rookie QB and the dead money is very manageable, yeah the pride will take a hit again, but we should make sure we have a good QB coach for him.

Keep in mind, Keenum wasn't anything special nor Cousins in their first years, just after a few years they just get used to it and start to hone their skills because they are not overwhelmed with the speed of the game anymore, they are at the next level of their development.
    Great! so lets snag luck, then go steal Harbaugh from Michigan, and we'll be the next Patriots for the next 5-6 years.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by RobertR View Post
    This dude enjoys challenges in life, and I love that mindset!!!....whatever floats your boat!

(ha ha....I think it was a little error on the ole keyboard0

Leave a comment:

• RobertR
    replied
    Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
    I don't mind drafting a QB, as long as the words 'Project', 'Tall', or 'Reached' are attached to that pick.

Leave a comment:

• haciendadad
    replied
    Originally posted by Insane Tacos View Post
    This is where I am at too. I feel like Cousins would be the best option. Sell the farm for Cousins or Luck..

But like I've said there's this bad spot in my stomach that is screaming Alex Smith's name.....
    I would be more upset if he paid a vet $130M and he didn't work out and we are stuck with all that dead money. Miss on a rookie QB and the dead money is very manageable, yeah the pride will take a hit again, but we should make sure we have a good QB coach for him.

Keep in mind, Keenum wasn't anything special nor Cousins in their first years, just after a few years they just get used to it and start to hone their skills because they are not overwhelmed with the speed of the game anymore, they are at the next level of their development.

Leave a comment:

• TheAsianPA
    replied
    Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    It didn't really take that long for Dak, Wentz or Goff to grow. Due to all of the rule changes regarding how defenses are allowed to defend receivers on top of it becoming a huge pass heavy league it really shouldn't take long for top draft picks to develop anymore. That really should be a thing of the past.

Now personally I fear for a top 10 QB's safety behind our oline which is why I would rather take oline first. But I think it's an extremely poor assumption that if Elway does take one that the kid can't come in and have success in a very short time frame long before our defense window closes.
    I'd have to see it first. I don't think most QBs come in and look good right away, the ones that do usually have good protection (Wentz/Goff), and the ones that don't need good protection to succeed are exceptionally rare, such as Watson and Wilson. Even if we get a great franchise QB, I still think it will take on average a full season before they piece it together, since there's so much information and techniques to process and learn. You are very much right though in that if our o line isn't figured out it won't matter who's behind there.

Leave a comment:

• DenverBlood
    replied
    Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
    Isn't Rosen the best qb in the draft. Isn't he pro style offense ? We need someone who can play now. Either a solid FA or a rookie who doesn't need much polishing .
    Rosen won't drop past the first two picks. Both of which are out of the Broncos reach.

Leave a comment:

• aditheman
    replied
    I meant to say QB. WB=QB

Leave a comment:

• DenverBlood
    replied
    Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    A lot of that goes into resigning the guys who have expired deals and filling out the roster so it’s alot less than you think. After you factor those signings and the money that gets set aside for the draft picks it’s like half of what the starting number is.
    No the article from ESPN clearly stated that outside of Talib they don't really have anyone with an expiring contract that they should be that concerned with having to pay. They've reworked most of the core in prior years. And they said letting Talib and Cj Anderson go in favor or Roby and Booker could net the other $15 mil. And really not that much money gets set aside for draft picks due to the rookie salary cap. Not for 2018 anyway.

So even if they keep Talib and CJ it would be $33 mil and if they don't it's over $40 mil.

Half the space would be $16.5 mil. They had more than that last year to spend in free agency and that's with a lot more people having gotten extensions. It's a lot more than you think it appears

Leave a comment:

• aditheman
    replied
    Originally posted by Insane Tacos View Post
    Going into the offseason we have one of three options.

1) Stick with any combo of Brock, Trevor, Paxton, and Chad. (Boo)
    2) Find a QB in FA or trade. (Beware the Alex Smith...)
    3) Draft a Quarterback..

I highly doubt we stick with only option one, but hey anything could happen. But for this thread we're nixing that for now. So that leaves us with the glaring question. What do we do? Go out and 'buy' a quarterback. Or hand pick another. I very highly doubt we do both. If Elway swipes himself a veteran, he's going to be our guy for the next 2 seasons minimum. (Unless beat out by Kelly).

Drafting a QB means we're rebuilding pure and simple. And unless we grab a Carson Wentz, there's a good chance the remainder of our core talent will deteriorate as we wait for the youngster to come into his own.

I disagree. There is actually a Fouth option no one is talking about. It consists in not carrying a WB. What you say? Yes, everyone says this is a QB driven league, well let's change the league. Let's adopt a system without a QB where multiple people can thrown, not one assigned to it and develop an offensive line with 10 players and direct snap it to the RB and do some other trickery. That way we can savec money and revolutionize the game.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X